Suit for an Interview

Discussion in 'Fashion & Lifestyle Trends' started by Buddy Dink, May 19, 2011.

1. #1 Buddy Dink, May 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
    Alright, so this week I found I have an interview for a very good job opportunity and I want to dress to impress. The only problem is that I have no suit. I have a decent bit of cash set aside, and I definitely want to look nice. I have a nice looking watch I plan to wear, and I have a leather bound notebook I plan to bring to take notes in, bring my resume and letters of recommendation, etc. (It is a group interview).

I was just wondering if you guy had any helpful insight into what kind of suit I should buy, how much I should spend (money isn't really an issue). Any help would be much appreciated.

Thoughts?

2. Buy the most expensive suit you can afford and make sure it's classic in style, cut and color.

Personally, I would send you to either a really nice dept store (saks, bloomies, barney's) or brooks brothers. Ask for help. They will measure you (a must!) and if you tell them it's for an interview they will probably know exactly what you need.

Grey and navy are good, classic colors. No black--you're not going to a funeral. Nothing too heavy or shiny and nothing cotton or linen---it needs to be a light-weight wool. Nothing fad-ish or with lots of details. I like a 3-button, but 2-button is pretty common. Don't forget the shoes and a crisp new shirt in a great color (i love lavender on men, it's really hot)!!! Oh, and when you're buying the shirt check if you need cufflinks. Would suck to get dressed morning of and realize you don't have any cufflinks.

Edit: Good luck at the interview!

3. Go with either Brooks Brothers or Armani.

4. My plan was something like Joseph A Banks... I'm not sure if you guys have them in the area but look them up. I was planning on spending $200, $250 if need be. I can spend more if it is necessary...

I've honestly never heard of those other retailers...

I might have to go with lavender, though... If you say it is that good. This may be kind of a 'homo' question but would other guys find it attractive? I want to look good for my interviewers, male or female. I want this job bad.

5. That shit gets me hard as fuck no lie

Don't forget to wear your confidence.

6. I have plenty of that... I just want to look nice, too.

My aunt is hooking me up with this job and she has taught me all the ins and outs, tips and tricks to use with the interviewers. Is lavender something I can wear now? I have no fashion sense, I'm not sure about what colors can be worn when.

7. Trust me on this wear a black brooks brothers or armani suit and you will be golden. I am from maryland too btw but I live in fl.

8. This is pretty much the exact advice my dad gave me for getting my first suit for med school interviews.

9. 3 piece suit with a pair of niceass brogues and silk-knot cufflinks. GOLDEN

10. White suit with blood stains on it.
    And a pair of nikes.

11. I just got a Hugo Boss red label suit which costs about $800 + alterations. Get yourself at least 1 high end suit. Get it fitted really nice and preferably get black.

12. I used to have a $1000 suit until my house burnt down. Never again, when I need one I'm gonna hit up thrift shops. I don't mind wearing a dead man's suit if I could find one that fits nice. If anything I could get it altered.

13. #13 Buddy Dink, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
    I just bought a charcoal gray suit, spent about $600 on everything but the shoes. Went and bought a nice pair of black dress Docksiders with a square toe. The suit is awesome, the guy that helped me out was the most helpful person I have ever met in a retail environment,

I'm gonna ace this shit.

Also bought a leather padfolio and a nice pen for notes and my resume/reference letters. I'm writing down all of the information I think will be pertinent to the interview and some question I may ask the interviewer.

14. Awesome suit sounds banging.

So did you already have the interview or not yet. Anyhow goodluck you sound
    Well prepared and should have a great interview.

Out of curiosity what's the interview for?

15. I'm not a fan of the whole "buy the most expensive suit you can" idea. I say buy a moderate to highly prices suit and splurge on the tailoring. You can own the most expensive Armani suit ever and a well tailored suit from Calvin Klein will look better.

16. dude listen....
    ...what you do is go down to Jos A Bank's........find a gay man that works there and ask him to dress you to impress for this interview you want to land. If he is good he will have suit shirt tie and shoe recommendation for you........buy the suit give him a good tip........come back and thank him when you land the interview.
    This has always worked well for me in my lifetime when I needed a business suit. Now for personal attire and special occasions I go with custom. That is unnecessary for business unless you are Partner or Jr. Partner.
    :wave:

17. I like only simple suit for an interview........