Suggestions on Swords?

Discussion in 'General' started by Flemian, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Get something classy

[​IMG]

2. Yeh as long as you get something designed to be used not a light use or decorative blade i think youll be happy regarding cold steel.

3. Get a Hattori Hanzo sword and cut papers in half and such

4. Do what you want- But cold steel makes FUNCTIONAL weaponry- its not pretty- its not the best balanced- and its not an heirloom.

So do you want to spend 200ish on a functional sword?

less than 100 on a wall hanger?

Or MORE than 1000 on a SWORD.

Answer and i can give you suggestions from there

5. Well if you know a website that has beautiful and functional swords Id be happy to browse. Do they have demonstration videos of the swords strength?

6. K- so am i right to assume your priorities are;

1) functional

2) design/appearance?

Because as people have said- if you want a forged sword- of quality- it will cost a few thousand dollars.

Jay Fisher: Knife Maker, Artist, Photographer, Writer; Home Page > THIS is what a functional- heirloom weapon looks like.

So do you want a functional sword- that LOOKS kinda pretty?

Or a pretty sword that is functional?

(because no offense- but i don't think you are looking to drop what a REAL sword costs-)

7. I can always save up the money and get something worth passing down because it would be more important. If I want a cold steel blade I can order than sooner but I def want something of design and functionality that would be worth passing down to a son.

8. And european swords?

An era? /style?

(like- roman sica? german broadsword? french 16th century dueling sword?)

9. The jay fisher link was what I was getting at.

There are many many skilled custom blade makers throughout the world its a very popular hobby also so really put some time into your search. I did not want to recommend any one blade as in my opinion its to subjective of matter since you have long term intentions for the blade.

Many people who get an item such as this will have them custom made so there able to add family crest or other heritage related items.

I'm starting to get the feeling your more serious about the quality of the blade than i had first suspected, and with that in mind the price could get very very high. I have a 5 inch knife i paid 6800$ for and i dont consider myself a high end collector. I will say this though the money you spend will benefit you more than the obvious. THe lower quality steel used for swords by press manufacturers is not of a type that can really survive neglect of any kind.

When you order and purchase a 1 of a kind work the steel is custom blended for the size , shape, and purpose of the blade. The level of heat treating is also much different in hand forged blades as opposed to pressed blades, and is monitored by the watchful eye of an artist (most hairline cracks, stress lines, happen during heat treating.)

You very likely would be able to find a metalsmith in your local area who could craft what your looking for it won't be as pricey as a busy well known artist unless one of them is local to you lol. No matter where you go please make sure to inspect some of the shops work and talk to previous customers if possible. Like anything else there are all levels of craftsmen of varying skill.

Not sure what else to say really if you need any specific info and i or someone else who answers your question is not around feel free to send me a pm, and ill try to keep peeking back at the thread kinda excited to see what you decide on.

10. I guess something similar to the ones I posted. A Knights Templar sword would be bad ass.

11. I was sipping my ensure and enjoying a bowl here thought i would throw a maker at you who i always thought made some of the prettiest blades.
    I have had him make me two knives over the years both were very functional and the looks were mind blowing, enjoy.Great Lakes Custom Knives - Knives by Van Barnett

12. I believe someone posted the video of zombie tools destroying "the deuce" earlier in the thread... Watch that and youll buy it lol

Yeah unreal posted the youtube link pretty badass the cut through a car hood

13. .. So your THAT type of stoner .. I accept you .

14. #75 Nottatumor, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    Any news man I was hoping for a pic once you found what you were looking for?

Thought maybe your were still looking found a few links to what appear to be decent crafters take a look. Hope these help:)

1.Custom Swords, Knives & Other Weaponry

2.Arms of Valor - Medieval Swords, armor, Scottish weapons, and more! - swords, medieval swords, fantasy swords, renaissance rapiers, Lord of the Rings, paul chen Hanwei katanas, Scottish weapons medieval swords, fantasy swords, renaissance weapons, Lo

One is located in U.S.A. other is in I believe the uk or near it.

15. Yeh i looked through there page more after linking and i was impressed seems like a decent crafter.