Suggestions on Swords?

Discussion in 'General' started by Flemian, Aug 5, 2012.

1. ^ exactly.

Katanas are basically the best swords, maybe not for intimidation but self-defense.

Of course, getting one that is even close to legit is going to be really pricey (and katanas are japanese, not european)

I'd say just get a short sword that is built solidly.

2. Oh I know that's why i said i cant really say. Dont know much about european swords. A good usable katana is gonna run you close to 500 dollars though. They are without debate the best swords functionally though.

3. ^ Yeah, katanas are basically the epitome of edged weapons.

Op, if you are using this for home defense then just save yourself some money and buy a shotgun.

4. get longclaw

5. #25 Flemian, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012

I dont need more fire power. I want a peice of steel that can be handed down to a son or something.

I was thinking possibly this:
    http://budk.com/Swords/Classic-Viking-Sword

but the selection of swords is so vast its hard to decide.

I honestly will probably end up owning more than one sword.

6. A rune 2h would probably be cool

7. [quote name='"dom12"']A rune 2h would probably be cool[/quote]

Na dragon. 60 attack homie.

8. I like the roman gladiator swords...fuck shit up like Spartacus

9. [​IMG]

This Templar sword is pretty cool

also, the zelda sword and gunblade and fucking awesome suggestions ha

10. Look at all you katana fanboys! Maybe they're somewhat effective against some asian guy wearing a kimono, but even a lightly armoured foe will smite you with ease. The point of most european weapons such as the longsword was that you could either use it to penetrate the armour or put weight behind a swing and cleave a hole in it. If you attempted this with a finer weapon such as the katana you would either inflict minimal damage and leave yourself open, or break your weapon.entirely.

11. Valyrian steel is the way to go brah...

12. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itE3_p7Fxwg]Zombie Tools: Destroying the Deuce - YouTube[/ame]

13. Do you wear platemail outside the house? A chainmail hauberk underneath your t shirt?

Nobody wears armor anymore. Your point is moot. If I'm going at someone with a katana, my blade is going through his hooded sweatshirt. Even with a kevlar body vest on, it'd be easier to slice off somebody's arm and/or head quickly then to charge around with a sword bigger than the length of your body and heavier than something you can wield 1 handed.

With that in mind, european swords are definitely cool. I take it OP's interested in them because they're badass and look cool, I somehow doubt you're buying a sword specifically for self defense (there are better options these days...) though if I was the katana would be my choice. Check out cold steel, those swords are built to last and fuck shit up. They have everything from katanas to claymores to falchions.

14. I use to be an avid collector of all types of swords, daggers, knives, I even went to conventions. You can either get a replica piece of shit that will begin to get pits and stains on the blade in a year if you dont oil and polish. Since you are planning on handing it down to your son, at least make it a quality piece or even one thats usuable (self defense only lol) trust me on this zombietools.net. Zombie tools has a very nice selection of high quality carbon steels blades they look fucking badass, and during the zombie apocolypse will come in handy.

15. [quote name='"grizzlybearman"']

Do you wear platemail outside the house? A chainmail hauberk underneath your t shirt?
    [/quote]

Yes sir, infact I do, but I take your point. But just fyi, you won't be able to sever a head or limb with a katana. I know you wouldn't need to, but it really isn't all that possible.

16. Check on the fenrir blade its looks like what your looking for

17. [​IMG]

This one looks pretty good. The blade is only 2 feet tho.

18. The Reaper

\t\t[​IMG] \t\t

This 4-foot tool is truly an instrument of death. Cut from quarter-inch spring steel, she barely notices when you hit bone. With black leather wrapped around the handholds of the aluminum slab grip, this 6 pound piece of potential violence makes one ooze badassery just holding it.
    The Reaper comes with Kydex blade cover.
    \t\tTotal Length 46 in (1.17m) Blade/Handle Length 16in/30in (.0.41m/0.76m) Weight 6lbs(2.72kg)
    Steel Width 0.25in Price $449.95US

pretty cool haha

19. the sword of godric gryffindor so you can destroy horcruxes and conquer voldemort.... im stoned

20. I think Im def gonna end up getting this one now or eventually. Its nice.

[​IMG]