Suggestions on ratios...and additions/subtractions

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by byobknobie, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,
    I'm Just lookin for some feedback on what I have so far. I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track just not sure of the ratios yet, and trying to avoid redundacies etc..

I am going to have to order Rock dust and crab/shellfish meal .... Unless someone knows where to find it in the Phoenix metro area, shipping costs just as much as the product even though the Amazon warehouse is in Phoenix.

Wetting agents I have yucca and aloe all over the place how would I go about using fresh and whats preferred root or leaf?

I will be mixing with my hands and a shovel, any and all recommendations/comments welcome...So far I have...

2.2cf (compressed bale) Premier Sphagnum Peat....I couldnt find 3.8cf bales

1cf Millers Mushroom Compost (custom blend of organics and mushroom compost)

.7cf Worm Gold Plus (94% EWC 3% Kelp 3% Volcanic Rock )

1cf Clean Earth Soils Compost (consists of over 25 fruits and vegetables)
    1cf Pumice

1cf Lava Rock

8 lbs Espoma Plant Tone

5 lbs Bradfield Organics Kelp Meal

5 lbs Down to Earth Neem seed meal

5 lbs Down to Earth granular Azomite

2. Your plant tone, kelp meal and neem meal seem a bit high but wait for someone to come along who is better at this than i. ;)

3. Seems alittle low on the ewc. I put almost 1 cf in a 5 cf mix.

See if Coast of Maine has any retailers around you. And source the lobster compost. I can't wait for mine finally.

4. #4 hope2toke, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
    I agree with weedroid as for the nutrient amendments you only need about 2 cups per CF of your mix. I'd also ditch the mushroom compost it can lead to salinity and compaction issues. also it looks like you have 2 CF of aeration, 2 cf of quality compost, so yo ushould have somewhere around 4 CF sphagnum peat.

as for rock dust and crab meal, I'd skip it the shipping doesnt make too much sense... you can get similar effect to the crab meal by adding composted chicken manure, which you should be able to find locally, cheap and organic... i bought some Stutzman's chicken compost- 7.50 a CF.

5. Alrighty then Mushroom compost is goin in the yard I'll look for chicken compost but I'm picky about the habitat/well being of the chickens it came from... any suggestions? Would fishbone meal be an adequate alternative? I can get that easily. I'll google it before the privacy policy changes haha..

6. For the plant tone I was going to use the recommended amounts on the package as for the Kelp and Neem I will tone that down some as well . When I lived back east I had access to the whole coast of maine line as well as farms orchards and natural forests ... now I'm in the desert . =\

7. I will be mixing with my hands and a shovel, any and all recommendations/comments welcome...

BYOB - I made a 2"X6" frame and nailed 1/4" Hardware cloth screen to the bottom of the frame. I throw all of my ingredients into the screen frame and rub them through the screen. It fluffs it and mixes it perfectly.

Good luck.

Jerry.

8. [quote name='"jerry111165"']I will be mixing with my hands and a shovel, any and all recommendations/comments welcome...

BYOB - I made a 2"X6" frame and nailed 1/4" Hardware cloth screen to the bottom of the frame. I throw all of my ingredients into the screen frame and rub them through the screen. It fluffs it and mixes it perfectly.

Good luck.

Jerry.[/quote]

Jerry,

I was thinking about doing that, I got the idea moving and spreading rock in my yard I throw it through a frame with chicken wire to filter out the sticks and big rocks, so I'll just pull off the chicken wire and replace it with hardware cloth and throw it on my kiddie pool. Seems like it will be easier than searching for and breaking up clumps by hand .... But I like the way good soil feels In my hands too, so I'll prolly go through it by hand just for my own benefit lol.