Suggestion

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Verdurous, Feb 5, 2012.

1. #1 Verdurous, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
    I feel as though it may be beneficial to GC to have members agree at signup to also follow the Forum Guidelines, which are more like the Rules here than whatever this, which really only requires users to be 18 above what is normally required by law, is: Grasscity.com Forums - Forum Rules

This suggestion is in response to some members being unhappy with the non-leniency of GC's moderators, then moderator's not really knowing what to say and just closing the thread after giving a rather wishy-washy "we're just trying to be fair" argument.

With the Forum Guidelines integrated into the membership agreement, GC mods would have a solid argument of contractual liability when upholding the rules and banning trolls. There would be no fretting over illegitimate sentiments of fairness in leniency or the popularity of certain members.

Now, I'm not saying the Forum Guidelines aren't binding, as they are implicitly agreed upon once a member encounters them within the forums, but it would be much easier to have something explicit to fall back and avoid all of these hurt feelings. You could easily explain to any members upset by the banning of a popular user that the banned user forfeited their opportunity to avail themselves the services of GC by breaching the agreement they have with GC when they violated the terms and conditions. There should be no bullshit about "thinking" blah blah blah or we try to treat blah blah blah. You should be able to say WE ARE FAIR. HERE IS YOUR CONTRACT WITH US, THIS IS WHERE YOU BREACHED. WE ARE TREATING THIS PROFESSIONALLY, GOODBYE.
    [​IMG]

If you treated the rules this way, there would be no need to keep moderating actions private. You could post who and why each member is banned in a thread so there aren't any questions. You wouldn't have to make wishy-washy decisions behind closed doors. I think the problem people are experiencing is that the rules are not currently black and white, so when members are banned, it's like wtf, they did the same shit for years and are just now banned? With codified rules, there would be no wtf, why are they banned? There would be no wishy-washy conversations about professionalism or leniency or fairness. There would be concrete professionalism, consistency, and fairness.

Just an idea. :smoke:

2. We should never post why someone got banned. We recently made an exception but what happens to a member's account is that member's business and their business only.

The rules are very black and white and what proves that is the huge percentage of members who have absolutely no problem following them.

Our decisions are not wishy-washy and I find that reference odd.

This is a private forum, the rules are clear and are agreed to with the very first post a member makes. If you can take on the responsibility of creating a post or thread, you can take on the responsibility of adhering to the rules.

We made the rules a bit more 'simple' for members because they had a hard time with them when they were detailed and now simple isn't even cutting it.

When it comes to the rules, it all boils down to the old adage, "I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you." I'll be more than happy to add more rules, detail the existing ones out and be as clear as possible...and we will moderate strictly by those...but again, in the end, it is up to the members to understand. Also, a lot of it comes down to common sense and picking up on the vibe of the City....and some people don't have it and can't do it...and I mean no offense, just saying how it is.

Most forums ask that you check out the rules after you register and I think if we implement something within the system that will send a PM outlining the rules to each member after they activate their registration, that would help quite a bit. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Attached Files:

3. Ok, so I think you might've misunderstood parts of what I'm trying to suggest, so I kind of took each phrase and clarified as much as I could think of. lol Gosh, and I wasn't calling your decisions wishy-washy. I love you guys way too much to ever say anything so rude. I was only saying your response to concerns seemed kind of wishy-washy, like you knew what decisions you were supposed to make and that they were good, but you had no idea why, just that it was to be "fair". All I'm saying is that with an explicit agreement, there's no confusion of why. Your why becomes a breach of contract on the part of the member, not a mere policy, which actually does innately imply possible leniency. I'm just explaining how you can get rid of members thinking there're just moderator policies, and not strict, agreed upon rules here. :smoke:

:smoke:

4. I saw JD mentioned in there. I'm not a mod anymore, for the record. By my own choice, because I wanted to take a break. :cool:

I still support the mod team entirely. I know all the shit they have to go through, and it is more than most of us can understand. They have my utmost support, admiration, and panty-throwing. :p:smoking: