Sufficient lights?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Knoxer, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Hey everyone! Me and a friend are about to start our own indoor hydroponic grow this July and our last thing to buy is the lights. Now we are going to be doing about 2 plants at a time and we're going to be growing inside of this tent
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00283Q59M/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

Now as for our light source we've been looking at this one right here
    HTG Supply - 2 Foot 2 Lamp PL-55 Tek Lamp

The bulbs altogether emit 10k lumens and from what I've read 3-4k per square foot is what we should be striving for, and I'd assume this lamp would be perfect for us, but I just want to make double sure before we rush into anything. Any help is much appreciated:smoke:.

2. Short Answer:
    Yes, your plants WILL grow.

Long answer:
    Your YIELD will be small. But you will yield none the less!

3. Yeah, we're going to clone because we expect small yields, but if it won't have any trouble coming up then that's perfect! :D thanks..

4. switch to a HPS light for Flowering for better yield.
    400Watt hps.

5. I have the same tent, not bad! I don't like the position of the intake/exhaust holes but it works well.. Get an HPS/MH combo.. If you go with the light your looking at you will regret it soon after and end up spending twice as much trying to cut corners.. Take it from someone who has tried cutting corners lol. And don't expect a small yield thats lame! Anyone can grow great plants..

Check out IPower ballasts on eBay if you want a cheap effective alternative. That was the second ballast I owned.. It works without any problems. It's a 400w digital dimmable ballast and I got the hood, HPS bulb, MH bulb, and ballast for $140 or something.. I would highly recommend upgrading to the air cooled hood when purchasing.

6. I would recomend spending the extra cash and getting a decent tent rather than the gyo. Mine broke after 1 grow, causing my filter to land on a tray of sprouts and would have shatteted my hps had it not been secured with backups connected to the main frame. Htg tents are much better, secret jardines probably one of the best.

7. Thanks for the reply's, I'll look into another light source then. Also Joker I already have the tent, arrived today The poles seem sturdy enough, the only one I see issues with is the one that holds the light, which I'll be scrapping and replacing with a better alternative...

8. I hear ya, that is what broke on mine. It had pkastic connectors on the ends of the roof bars that broke. I didnt want to mess with fabricating vars, and wanted one with more option so I just replaced it with the htg.

9. Since you are already deep into it.

My 2 cents

1. Buy a 400W HPS, it will give tight buds.
    2. Exhaust Fan ***Important***
    3. Carbon Filter ***Important***

Regarding Hydro. I love Hydro, I encourage people to do Hydro. However if you cannot keep your temps inside the Rez with the Lights ON under 70F Hydro could be a Nightmare. Even for a Seasoned Grower. Just food for your thoughts.

10. Yeah those are two things I still need, but I've been looking at fans and filters and I'm not sure what to grab. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear em! Also I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I'm going the easy hydro route and doing a deep water culture setup. I can easily get my whole room to 70degrees so hopefully I can do the same when the lights up in my tent and the fans are running.

11. Get a 400w with an air cooled hood...they're cheap on eBay and amazon..as for fan the 6" ones on eBay are decent or the one on htg..that with a can 33 and you're golden

12. #13 Doc-J, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    The 400 should do pretty decent.

You can also save some $ usually from htg by buying off of ebay. They often list stuff on there cheaper than the website and with free shipping. I refuse to give ebay any info, so I buy on there then just call htg directly to pay for the auction. I saved about $50 on my fan and filter versus buying from the website.

Definitely get a cooled hood, they cost about 50% of retail if you get them with your light.

13. I agree get one from eBay.. IPower.. Haven't looked at the specs of that light you are looking at but you want a HPS ballast so you can run HPS and mh bulbs on it.. You can't run HPS bulbs on a mh ballast though. The link you posted says MH kit.

14. #15 Knoxer, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  15. Ah, thats good- ballast

16. if you want a 250w light, get one, but you asked the question and you was advised by 5 members(6 including me) who have grown before to get a 400w, your call, but on your next grow i bet you will have a 400w.
    middy

17. The light is a 400w. You can get the 250, but I am getting the 400w because it's only like an extra $10...

18. [quote name='"frozenrice101"']Here a chart for every HPS watt heat output, and space quire for.

http://forum.grasscity.com/blog_attachment.php?attachmentid=4071&d=1326762263[/quote]

That chart is rather misleading. There is no way the optimum distance for a 400w light is 3 to 4 ft. Lumen output of hid lighting decreases exponentially with distance, making for very low light intensity beyond 2ft unless your running 1k lights.