Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Suddenly unable to smoke

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Aquabat, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Hey, all.

I'm 25 and 2 months ago had my first child. Prior the pregnancy I was a very regular smoker. Once or twice (sometimes more, actually) a day with week long rest periods every couple months. I have always very much enjoyed the effects, and the relaxation was great. Even after the direct effect of feeling "stoned" had worn off, often for days after if I didn't smoke again I'd still feel more relaxed, less anxiety. I've never had any problem with the feeling of smoking or what it does save my first couple times, when I was in a party situation with others who weren't smoking and it made me feel odd.

In any event, my daughter is now 2 and a half months old and I feel comfortable enough with myself and my parental capability to determine that I would be just fine should she need me after smoking. I do not smoke in the house or anywhere near her, and change my clothes/wash up/brush my teeth after smoking to prevent the smell lingering, so her exposure to it isn't a concern. I am also not breastfeeding.

I've tried smoking three times now. The first time I smoked outside and went up to take a bath, while my husband kept an eye on the baby while she slept. I became very panicky, to the point that I couldn't even focus on a book to distract myself from the anxiety. The stuff I'd smoked was really old, so I attributed it to that. I ended up needing to just force myself to sleep and woke up hours later, still slightly panicked. I'd never experienced anything like that with weed, so again.. I just assumed it was how old it was.

About a week later I tried some fresh stuff. I started getting panicky again. Though it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the first time, it was pretty bad. However, a contributing factor may have been my husband, who has started getting genuine panic attacks and happened to have one after I'd smoked. I may have freaked out because he was freaking out, but I don't know for sure.

Finally, the other night I tried smoking a very small amount and, while I didn't completely panic, I could feel the groundwork of the feeling. I think if I'd smoked more I would have definitely felt really uncomfortable and panicky till it wore off.

I guess what I'm asking is anyone else has experienced a similar thing? Being able to smoke, enjoying it so much, then being unable to do it without some pretty intense discomfort. Will it (hopefully) resolve itself? Is there anything I can do to get back to enjoying it again? :/

Thanks ahead of time.

~A

2. What are you using to smoke and how much are you smoking at one time? And are you taking other drugs like sleeping pills or anything because that could be messing with your body?

3. I have a little corncob pipe that I smoke out of, and I don't take anything else, no. The pipe is kind of old, probably has a bit of resin build-up I haven't been able to get to to clean.

That second time I smoked I used papers, though.

As far as amount, the first time not very much. Second time probably half a medium to smallish sized bud to myself. The third time I took 3 shallow hits.

4. You lost your tolerance is all, it's all in your head. Now that you anticipate a probably anxious/panicky reaction to it, that's probably what you're going to get.

Take smaller hits, relax and ENJOY the high. Remember, it is the safest drug out there.

5. This.

Just remember that marijuana is suppose to be relaxing!

6. Don't smoke if you think it's going to make you panic. That said, smoke if you think it's going to relax you. :smoking:

7. Something psychological does make sense, plus not having a tolerance for it anymore. Bleh..

Maybe just being told by outside parties that its nothing to be concerned about will help some. I'll try and concentrate on smoking only when I'm assuming it'll relax me, rather than "experimenting" when I fear it might make me panic. \

Thanks for all the responses!

~A

8. As soon as those thoughts get into your head STOP. Just DON'T think about them. You are in complete control of your head. You're only high and it will only last a few hours. Remember what your high's used to feel like?

9. sounds like you lost all tolerance and just need to relax. when you start feeling worked up, just remember that its just a plant and your in total control. it cant and wont hurt you. also, try drinking a glass of water or warm milk, tea, etc... it will help you relax and feel more "grounded".

happy toking :wave:

10. Think about all the ways that your thinking has been changed by having your baby around. You're thinking about it too much and in ways you're not used to, probably even have some guilt overtones as well... my daughter is now 2 and a half months old and I feel comfortable enough with myself and my parental capability to determine that I would be just fine should she need me after smoking. Even though you state this, it's apparent that you're not quite convinced on some level. I'd attribute that to being part of the cause for the issues.

Take a SINGLE puff and relax. Let it go through you and help you out. Next time take 2. Condition your brain that there's no need to get all hyper over the subject and subject it to multiple experiences where there are no issues while being medicated. :D

You're going to be just fine. :D

11. You know, I think that actually could be more of the problem than anything else, I just didn't really think to put it that way. Guilt overtones combined with the rest. As soon as I smoke I do start worrying that I've done something terrible in regards to the little one. Like it's "inappropriate" or whatever.

Definitely some food for thought for me there. I miss the total relaxation so much, man.. ugh. Anyway! The one hit then next time two, working into it slowly and logically, sounds like a VERY good plan.

12. Thank you!

13. Just relax and enjoy your smoke session. The panic attacks are coming from you subconsciously thinking that you're doing something wrong as a parent. You need to realize and tell yourself that a little smoking won't change who you are, nor will it make you irresponsible when it comes to monitoring your daughter. If anything, after you smoke you'll be more patient and loving - I know I always am.

As long as you don't smoke until you're super baked and useless, enjoy your weed and look at it as a means to relaxation - not a thing to cause stress and anxiety.

It's all in the head ;)

14. #14 JuicyyLemonG, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
    Give up smoking and build a 14 year tolerance so when your child is 16 you can smoke weed with her everyday.

15. IMO hormones are still out of wack and starting to balance. The effect of thc may be affecting them in some way. I have known servel women who couldnt smoke for about 8 months after giving birth, then they enjoyed it again

16. I agree with the hormone comment.
    I began using the IUD last novemeber and a week later everytime i smoked i had terrible panic attacks. I ended up getting it removed, now I'm just waiting to get back to my normal state so I can slowly start smoking again. So far I can take a hit or two and be fine.

17. I can totally relate. Its hit or miss with me... I'll either get anxiety or I'll feel great. I'll be honest I don't smoke herb unless I've had a few drinks of alcohol just to build up liquid courage. I know a lot may frown upon that but I don't give a shit, it helps me enjoy marijuana to be honest. I am very jealous of people who can smoke weed with abandon, the people that truly enjoy it and can smoke at the drop of a hat. I unfortunately am always wary or anxious before I toke... Dunno why, just me... I'm fucked but that is the way it goes...LOL

18. ugh I know!
    I smoked for a while no problem.
    The hormones made the anxiety so bad, so my belief is that my brain associates the pot with the panic attacks. Now I'm just trying to "train" my brain to associate it with positive feelings. I haven't really smoked much since January which sucks considering I smoked every single day before that.
    I was told to try Indica strains, sativa has a tendency to make you more paranoid.

19. ugh I know!
    I smoked for a while no problem.
    The hormons made the anxiety so bad, so my belief is that my brain associates the pot with the panic attacks. Now I'm just trying to "train" my brain to associate it with positive feelings. I haven't really smoked much since January which sucks considering I smoked every single day before that.
    I was told to try Indica strains, sativa has a tendency to make you more paranoid.

20. You can stop guessing as to the 'why'. :D

You, and everyone around you, have grown up in a society where the govt message has been that cannabis is wrong/icky/bad/dangerous/immoral and so on.... It's no wonder you have a level of guilt associated with it. I live in a state where I'm legally allowed to use it and I STILL feel like a criminal. The level of ignorance on cannabis is not that much lower than a non medical state, seriously.

p.s. I know, I know, I'm not here.... Shhhhhhhhh!