subs

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by rolla joint, May 9, 2013.

1. So my mom just bought me a 2013 ford focus..the stock head unit would be pretty damn hard to replace so I spliced the rear speakers with a line out converter to plug the rca cables to...I have a 12" kicker comp & a 12" pioneer both 4 ohm...I'm going to replace the pioneer with another kicker soon & get a ported box...would having 2 of the same subs be less harsh on my amp? Its an 820w pioneer I think it's like 150 RMS & with both subs bridged certain songs it will shut off when like a deep bass hits but on higher pitch bass it does fine....if I want to have them play all the time without the amp shutting off I have to put them on channels or I can have the kicker bridged and the pioneer on a channel & it sounds the same as having them both bridged...but the deeper bass the subs don't seem like they're working right...they just kind of rumble but don't move up & down really fast like they did in my other car & it doesn't sound right at all like you can't hear it....any advice GC?

2. Having matching subs would be ideal for sound but for your amp it doesn't matter. What ohms are they wired too?

3. Idk but how can you tell? Lol

4. Look at how they're wired to the amp, and match it to a wiring diagram.

Type wiring diagram amplifier into Google, there is a site (the 12volt) with a good one. Let's you choose how many speakers and their resistance and what resistance you want it wired down to

5. #5 midnittoke, May 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
    The amp is shutting off due to low voltage or high heat. You need to turn the gain down and search electrical upgrades (google big three)

Also make sure you have the subs at the correct impedance so the amp doesn't see lower impedance than its rates for. Make sure you have subs wired accordingly whether it be continue or parallel.

2, 4 ohm subs = amp sees 2 ohms
    2, 2 ohm subs and amp see 1 ohm

Low voltage will destroy an amp. Don't fuck around if you don't know what you are doing

6. #6 StoopidLow, May 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
    [quote name='rolla joint']So my mom just bought me a 2013 ford focus..the stock head unit would be pretty damn hard to replace so I spliced the rear speakers with a line out converter to plug the rca cables to...I have a 12" kicker comp & a 12" pioneer both 4 ohm...I'm going to replace the pioneer with another kicker soon & get a ported box...would having 2 of the same subs be less harsh on my amp?
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\as long as they are rated for around the same continuous power they will work fine\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Its an 820w pioneer I think it's like 150 RMS & with both subs bridged certain songs it will shut off
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\you need to find wether you properly wired the subs to the amp or the gain is up too high.check out the12volt.com they have all the calculators tools and charts you need to easily figure this out.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ when like a deep bass hits but on higher pitch bass it does fine....if I want to have them play all the time without the amp shutting off I have to put them on channels or I can have the kicker bridged and the pioneer on a channel & it sounds the same as having them both bridged...but the deeper bass the subs don't seem like they're working right...they just kind of rumble but don't move up & down really fast like they did in my other car & it doesn't sound right at all like you can't hear it....any advice GC?[/
    QUOTE]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\try switching the + - on the subs they may be wired out of phase.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    If you want louder music get a more powerful amp and sub(s)Hope some of this helps!

7. So I should get a bigger power wire?

8. No. If you don't understand any of that you need to take it to a professional

9. Well how would you wire them? There really couldn't be that many different wiring options

10. There's not. You've been given the info you need to find the answers for your situation.

11. I have tried them both ways that the diagrams showed & the amp still cuts out on certain sounds..& I still have none of the deeper bass though I think that has something to do with using the factory head unit

12. How is your ground then?

13. Yes it does. You are pulling a signal from the head unit which only reproduces a certain range of music for certain speakers usually.

14. Not to mention factory head units don't have subwoofer preamp outputs, right?

15. Correct

16. Then this is more than likely the problem, I missed the part about OEM radio. Ground is always good to check though, never hurts.

17. That's why I had to get a line out converter to plug the rca cables into

18. & it's not like I can just put my Kenwood hu in it...Google what it looks like in a 2013 focus there's nowhere for a normal hu to go

19. Yeah... That's probably why it sounds like it does. You need to do it the proper way, a line out converter is very inconsistent.