Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Sublingual - how to make it work?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by parsnip, Feb 9, 2023.

1. #1 parsnip, Feb 9, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    I'dd like to replace smoking with sublingual in order to keep the control over dosage and timing. From what I've read this is the best method.

I decarbed 5 grams 248F for 20 mins (this was before reading here) then infused in steam bath for 2 hours 1/2 cup of MCT. Not yet sure, but it doesn't seem to work (tried 3ml as of now).

I'm thinking about purchasing levo 2 (if it just works I'm fine with paying the price) but I'd hate to waste more cannabis, as it's very expensive where I live. I would appreciate any tips from experienced people.

2. An ethanol tincture may work better than an infused oil for buccal absorption

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I'm gonna try to make a tincture of a veeery small amount next, will see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. How much cannabis did you use in your half cup of MCT oil and did you strain the cannabis out?

5. Uh, sorry, I used 5 grams of ~20% thc buds and strained them out after infusion. The buds were ground before decarb.

• Like Like x 1
  6. My brother-in-law has a Magic Butter Machine and likes it. I think they are about the same.

Everyone has different ways to decarb, and make oil. Unless you have a small still and some lab type filter you should take a look at @BrassNwood. It sounds to me that he is making exactly what you want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. No worries, just trying to figure out your potency. I believe your oil comes in at about 6.5 mg per ml. I don't know what kind of tolerance you have, but three ml would be about 20 mg.
    I used your 20% potency figure and 80% extraction to come up with those numbers. I figure you've got about 800 mg in the half cup of oil, 118 ml/0.5 cup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. #8 parsnip, Feb 9, 2023
    Thanks @Joker1121. It seems that 3ml should be more than enough for me to feel something, so I am afraid I may have messed up the procedure. I'm gonna try to use it up and read some more posts in the meantime.

Anyway what's important to me is whether it is actually possible to reliably substitute smoking for sublingual with oil or tincture (would prefer a non-alcoholic extract) without increasing the overall cost a lot, so any input is welcome.

Thanks, guys :).

• Like Like x 1
  9. A glass door toaster oven, one of the little stand alone oven thermometers, A palm sized Stainless steel cat food dish. Total cost $30.00... Levo 2 = $300.00
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    [​IMG]

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks @BrassNwood - I've read a few of your posts already. I appreciate it a lot.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. If you don't like grain Alcohol that sort of removes Tinctures and leaves you with Edible oil. Although I see claims of Oil sublingual delivery I get various numbers and can't find any real science on it that doesn't conflict.

Oral absorption of Oils = Poor at best. It really needs a trip through our digestive system to be broken down and used in the body. This also gets your Liver and a host of Enzymes in the game converting Delta-9 into 11-Hydroxy-THC

Dose can range from 5 to 500mg. You may also need to "Prime the Pump" A few days of regular doses the first time or three.

• Like Like x 2
  12. That's useful information. I'll switch my focus to tinctures for now. If I get anything out of the oil I have I will update here, maybe I'll add some lecithin and try eating too, as you suggested in other threads.

Cheers!

13. #13 nachoboomer, Feb 9, 2023
    WHAT HE SAID. in my exp mct oil & lecithin are great for gummies & it tastes better than alcohol, but it don't work well for sub lingual imo. alcohol can be reduced/concentrated down in a double boiler to almost nothing then qs'd (filled to 1 oz) with an alcohol better tasting than everclear (bourbon/rum whatev) into a 1 0z dropper btl. Some kief vs bud, +1. I used app 1/2 oz of bud in mine. I think you will need to use way more weed if you want your final dosage volume to be only a few drops, which is a more normal volume for subligual work.

• Like Like x 3
  14. #14 nachoboomer, Feb 9, 2023
    The alcohol is All evaporated off leaving only the concentrate & a bad ethanol taste, but it absorbs much faster than oil. it's medicine it aint supposed to taste good right?????????? unless you have a tongue like a cow 3ml is way too much volume for sub lingual.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. When I make a tincture I use 1oz of bud washed in as little alcohol as possible.,the finer you grind your bud the less alcohol you need to wash. If you can do it in 5oz. of alcohol 1oz will be left in the bud and the remaining 4oz. will make a tincture that has Aprox 840mg of THC per ounce of tincture based on the figure of 150mg THC per gram of bud with an 80% extraction rate.,
    Read my thread about spiking food for some more ideas about what you can do with the tincture. The honey I have been making is wonderful.

Edit. Since I started making/using tincture daily my smoking has been cut to next to nothing.,and I love puffin.,but my COPD makes it uncomfortable.,

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. There was a recipe here that I followed that said to freeze the alcohol and the decarbed weed before mixing,+1. My next batch I'll be using about 1oz of my smaller newly harvested Gdp buds, how long to cure before using them? Whats the dealio with that online 200 proof ethanol ???, it aint from china I hope. is it safe?

17. The 200 proof ethanol I use is made right here in Maine.,USA. "Culinary Solvents" is the company. The freezer thing is your choice. many just do a quick wash 10-20 seconds then strain.,
    I would just dry the buds as if for smoking.,that's good enough considering you're going to decarb it before you make a tincture with it.,

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Psychedelic Sam, on this very website, is the guru of tinc among other things. Type it in the search bar and be amazed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Psam has passed from this earth but his excellent work remains.
    Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2