Subaru owners, assistance is needed

Discussion in 'General' started by smokeNtoke99, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Hi I have a 2001 Subaru forester, I threw a rod through the engine and now must do a swap. I have 2 questions.

1) the engine in my car is the ej251 it was used from 2000 - 2002 in my car, must I use another ej251? Or what other options do I have for a direct mount with little to no modification needed?

2) I have had a few subaru guys tell me that if they were in my situation they would put an STI engine in. What STI engine would I need to use and how much extra modification would needy I be done? I assume it is not a simple plug and play swap as would be if I just replaced the engine with an exact match.

2. The EJ251 is used in the following models of subaru cars...

• Impreza 2.5RS, 2.5TS 00-02 (US)
    • Impreza Outback Sport 00-02, 04 (US)
    • Forester 00-02 (US)
    • Legacy 00-01 (US, 4EAT)
    • Legacy 02-04 (US)
    • Outback 00-01 (US, 4EAT)
    • Outback 02-04 (US)
    • Baja 03-05 (US)

Meaning, you should be able to find a wrecked version of any of those vehicles and rip the engine out for probably just a few hundred bucks from an import salvage yard. As far as other engines that will fit, find out exactly what model transmission you have and search for engines that are compatible with it. You could potentially dump in other JDM engines if they are compatible with your transmission... but you'd be looking at replacing motor mounts, electrical harnesses and other fun things if you go that route... the only reason I mention it is that it COULD potentially be cheaper to put in a non-subaru engine with custom motor mounts & a new electrical harness. Probably not thought.

As for an STI swap.... you're looking at about 3,500 (lowest i've seen) for the engine and most of the ones I see dont come with the factory subaru top mount intercooler, so you are looking at another $2-900 for a turbo intercooler depending on size/brand and location of its installation in the engine bay. Beyond that, you will have to look into your transmission and see if it can even tolerate the power output of an STI engine.. It likely cant and would need to have some aftermarket modifications installed to compensate for the new amount of power your engine would be producing since your blown engine produces almost half as less power as an STI engine.

If your car is an automatic (IF) I would say dont even consider the STI swap.. since you would UNDOUBTEDLY have to replace your transmission aswell if that is the case because an auto transmission just wont be able to handle the power at all. So... you would be spending 6 grand on an STI engine and tranny, plus about 700 for shipping, plus about $2000 for labor costs to have a shop drop it in and swap your car to a manual. And that was a cheap estimate.. If it IS a manual.. you can see if your current tranny is compatible and go from there.

3. Ah that is awful news smoke, I've had plenty of issues with those ej251's. The head gaskets are notoriously picky, unless you can get it for cheap I wouldn't recommend putting in another one. If you want to go with a standard engine, I would recommend a 253 or 254. Either should be good, all you should really need (big parts wise) is the old intake manifold and timing gears off the blown engine.

I think the turbo engine is relatively the same as the 255's, and I think it should fit fairly easily. I have never done one of these though and I'm not sure if the fit will be as easy/smooth as a 253/254, The key with the turbo engine is getting one in good shape, as they have usually been rode hard and put away wet if you know what I mean.

4. Thank you so much for your reply. I've asked this in many forums and other places and i get the stock "read more nood" answer. I'm not mechanically inept I've repaced almost every part of my last car (Volvo 240) including the clutch.

I'm in love with my Subaru, just having a hard time finding out where I can learn about it.

I have found that list you provided (all the models and years that use the ej251 motor) so I am looking for thoes cars.

Question:
    My local Subaru parts importer has an exact match engine in a 2.5 for 2000. The mileage is around 50,000. I can find a junk yard pull for about 400.

What is your opinion

5. I won't lie it is my own fault this happened... I don't wanna talk about it since it was a dumb mistake. But yes this is so far the most expensive mistake of my younger years :(..... At this point I'm just going to do a straight swap (looking for a 251) as it will be cheapest.

My buddy who build subarus says I can get an engine from a pick and pull for around 300 to 500. So for now that's the plan.

I was considering getting an import motor for 2000. It would have 50,000 miles on it so it's tempting. What do you think?

6. More info. The import for $2000 has a out 50,000 miles. The pick and pull junk yard motors will most defiantly have 130,000 pluse

7. Where is the import motor coming from? A junk yard or a rebuild? 130k + is a decent amount of miles, if you go that route I would take whatever you save and invest in some sort of a teardown/refurb/rebuild. If nothing else at least rip the top half apart and make sure everything looks good. Motors are always much easier to work on when they are out of the car!

8. #8 bluntyoungballa, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
    op, I'm surprised the subaru forums are being such dicks. The tacoma specific forum I'm a member of has always been extremely helpful. What I's your budget though? You would be the MAN if you could find a small diesel to do the swap with. Are you doing the swap out of necessity or as a project? How is the rest of the car? The frame? Any pics?

9. Import would be straight from japan, the guy said they come in rebuilt with around 50,000 miles.

10. Car is in perfect condition, besides the engine.... Haha. But yeah this is my only car, I've been taking the bus and riding my bike since it happened back in June. Just been saving money and trying to decide the best option.

I can do any option at this point, I plan on getting a credit card if I get the 2000 dollar imported engine. I'd just hate to get a high mileage engine from a junk yard to have it break a few months later.