Styrofoam walls

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by JNeely85VI, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Hi
    Using styrofoam as walls for my grow room. I have read that it reflects light but when my light is on my room is glowing. So it seems like light is going through the styrofoam instead reflecting off it. Is this the case or is it really reflecting light when it is glowing?

So if light is escaping will painting the inside flat white and outside blacks keep light inside?

Thanks for any info

2. Styrofoam has a lot of issues and there are often tiny gaps in it. Yes just paint the inside white or add mylar you don't need to paint the outside.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. My suggestion would be to find something to pad the outside walls with and paint the inside of that white to reflect any light that comes through the foam. Maybe someone has a better suggestion but that'll help keep light in a lot (might be warm though).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh wait do you mean paint the styrofoam?

5. Yes paint the styrofoam

6. I would just put Mylar up, seems easier and less messy. Paint would be cheaper, but you can get a roll of Mylar for $38 from Amazon which covered my 4x4x7room with extra left over

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

7. No mylar in my location

8. And I already have the paint.

9. Mylar space blankets. They sell em everywhere. Dont be using styrofoam this is what happens when people use styrofoam..
    [​IMG]
    Hardly seems worth it for the 20 grams of drek you will likely end up growing.

10. Sorry should have been more clear. Just the base is from a large styrofoam cooler. The walls are cardboard built up around the cooler. So just the base has the glow. So will painting inside white and outside black good or is it just a glow and light isn't escaping

11. Sweet cardboard and styrofoam
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wow
    Yeah I have had a couple successful grows with this setup already. Using led and I can touch the thing with heat at all is felt.

It's impossible to get a straight answer on forums. Lol :)

13. I believe you have had a straight answer from myself and others.