Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Stuttering

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Kickpointy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Does anyone have any experience or articles on stuttering being improved or worsened by marijuana? I have a mild stutter and have been trying to find information about it.

2. no, but my wife is a speech therapist and she'd be curious to find out how it works for you.

3. #3 BlazeLE, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    in the union there is a guy with MS and he could barely talk unless he smoked which made him stable enough to carry out the interview. now that is an extreme case.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_5Ebsjk8I&feature=related[/ame]

4. I used to have a stutter in middle school, then i started smoking. Throughout highschool it really declined but i still have it. I used to stutter on almost every sentence i said but i barely stutter now

5. I've been a stutterer my whole life, with a severe stage around 15-17 years old (19 now) where I would block on certain words for like 20 seconds straight. Got to the point where I was frightened at the thought of applying for a job, meeting new people, expressing myself, etc, even though I'm a naturally outgoing person.

Anyway stuttering still isn't understood completely and there is no "cure" for it. It's generally accepted as some sort of neurological order I believe.

Cannabis definitely isn't for all stutterers, I find sativas make me stutter just as much as normal but there is less tension felt, and on top of that it makes me pretty anxious and paranoid. Indicas seem to help at a moderate dose, probably the physical side of it that helps.

On the subject of other drugs (if that's cool), benzos (lorazepam, Xanax, etc) make me not really give a shit about anything and it makes it easier to talk to people but the stutter is still there. I would never recommend regular benzo use because those things can come with a lot of side effects and they'll make stuttering and any kind of anxiety worse in the long run possibly.

MDMA and some amphetamines actually help, believe it or not, as some people think stimulants would actually make stuttering worse. Dr. Alexander Shulgin himself has said in his book that a college student came up to him and told him that MDMA helped him overcome his stuttering. He most likely meant it helped him accept himself or something because my stutter definitely came back after I rolled.

When I did roll for the first and only time a year back I was completely fluent during the roll. Ended up chatting with this girl about shit for like a half hour. Never felt so open and fluent in my entire life.

The main thing that has helped me is exercising, following a healthy diet (gluten free in my case, look up gluten and stuttering, it's worth a try), breathing exercises, and speech therapy.

My stutter isn't as bad these days but I still get blocks. Luckily I have a chill group of friends and a job that doesn't involve too much communication. I'm still trying to improve but I've sort of just accepted it.

Hope this helps.

6. I had a slight stuttering problems most of my high school years. I can say that mj didnt affect either way.

7. Got some bad news for you op. The best thing weed can do for a stutter is improve their quality of life. If anything, booze would be better for a stutter.

What helped a buddy of mine greatly is joining a group called Toast Masters.There was no drugs, no speech therapists, just people getting together confronting their fear about speaking to an audience. If someone had a stutter well, so be it.

And by going week after week he basically rewired his brain, so that when he did speak he wasn't nervous or anxious and thus spoke fluently. Granted there are words that no matter how much rewiring of your brain you do, your still going to stutter on them. In these cases, its best to just substitute it with another word. But definatly weed is not a cure for my stutter. I've had it since age 4, and I think it's the biological type.