stupid question

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by killakronic89, Jan 23, 2013.

1. so my question is this.. im using canna coco nutes in coco and i was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible for me to use the canna coco nutes in a dwc setup as long as i use coco croutons? i dont see why it wont work but the people from canna said it wouldnt and to buy another line of there nutes to use in dwc. what i dont understand is if im still growing in coco why this would even be a problem. im going to try it but i was wondering if anyone had experience with this before hand??? by all logic this should work but i dont know yet... any help is appreciated..

2. coco is similar to soil in every way except u dont use soil but coco and u can feed the plant hydroponically (ebb and flow etc)
    DWC is completely different where u have no medium most times and just a few gallons of nute solution that the plant feeds on supplemented with oxygen

my suggestion would be to either use coco with those nutes or buy dwc nutes or go with a different brand

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 Bag O Weed, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
    Doubt it will work properly. Different mediums. I would be willing to bet that canna coco is a little more sludgy and more built to stay in the medium where as most DWC nutrients are heavily salt based and meant to disolve in with water.

As mentioned before, coco is very similar to soil. Coco can even be used in a soil mix. It is meant to hold nutrients and I would be willing to bet that it cycles them similar to soil.

So in short different ingredients = different results. Just do what they say and buy something meant for DWC. I went with dyna gro grow formula. I am going to use it all the way through flower as I read recommended somewhere. Hopefully all goes well! Seems fine for the time being. Only problem so far has been the heat which I have started to take care of.

4. so coco coir and coco croutons are diffrent? no the canna nutes arent sludgy they are actually waterey... well i put one in the croutons last nite, we will see if it works

5. Just so everyone knows it's is possible to do this and I actually had really great results from this the canna nutes worked perfectly. And I know that I'm not the first to try this but for everyone wondering it DOES work.

Is it possible? Yes. You would need to keep the coco itself well above the nutrients, and not IN the nutrients.

Is it advisable? No, not in my opion.

Coco coir has characteristics/properties similar to rockwool. It wicks well and it drains sufficiently for some applications, but doesn't drain fast enough for DWC or E&F applications (IMO).

Coco would be better suited for drip application or NFT if you want to use it for hydroponics (again IMO).

• Like Like x 1
    Ok, I'll take you're word for it.

If you already already 'know' the answer, why ask the question?

8. Not to be a dick or anything but why don't u look at the dates of the post. You will clearly see I asked this almost a year ago and nobody could give me any insight on the matter. So I did it and had great success with it so I just wanted anyone who was curious about it to know that it worked great. And I had it set up the same way as I did with the clay balls. So to anwser ur question I answered my own question here almost a year later because no one could help me so I had to do it and figure out that there was no difference except having to stake the plant better then with the clay. So thanks u should read everything before u post on someone else's thread trying to be dick. Thanks

9. Ok, I apologize for not noticing it was an old thread.

I'm glad to hear you are having great success.

Just to make sure I don't upset you any further by accidentally posting on one of your threads again, I'll put you on my ignore list.

Again, I apologize for posting "on someone else's thread trying to be dick".

Happy growing and best wishes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. #10 GoldGrower, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    Show us some photos man, I would have thought that coco nutes wouldn't be well suited to DWC and you would get low yield because of this. It would be cool to see the results from your experiment