Stunted plant rehabilitation

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by lastelement21, May 24, 2007.

1. Hi,

I just inherited these two plants from one of my friends. He had them in a window, its hard to believe these two poor little things are a whole month and a half old!

My current plan:
    Bigger pots RIGHT NOW! I can clearly see the roots through the side of the tiny pill bottle, and they look like they want to grow. I'm going to get some real pots and good soil.

Questions:
    1) What soil brand is best/recommended?
    2) The smaller rounded leaves on both plants have yellow around the edges, will this go away or does it need treatment?
    3) Streaky light colored splotch on one of the regular jaggy leaves. Same question.
    4) The smaller one is badly stretched, and is leaning heavily, how should I work to strengthen its stem and get it to stand upright?
    5) Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Last

Attached Files:

2. 1) What soil brand is best/recommended?
    Just stay away from time release prenuted soils. I hear fox farms ocean forest is good.
    2) The smaller rounded leaves on both plants have yellow around the edges, will this go away or does it need treatment?
    The first set of leaves usually goes yellow and dies. No problem.
    3) Streaky light colored splotch on one of the regular jaggy leaves. Same question.
    Can't see that from the pictures, but your plants are too yellow. What (if any) do you feed them? If you don't, do! Start at 1/4 or 1/2 of the recommended nute dosage.
    4) The smaller one is badly stretched, and is leaning heavily, how should I work to strengthen its stem and get it to stand upright?
    Both of them are badly stretching. You need more light. More power or getting the lights closer if possible (temperatures!) will work.
    5) Any other suggestions?
    Read 1 or 2 growjournals. Apply ideas you like which result in heathly plants.

Good luck!

3. Thanks for the response.

I just got them last night, and he didnt use any extra light at all beyond the diffuse light provided through his clouded shower window.
    I was planning to start a grow next week anyways (10 seeds), but havent gotten the lights for it yet, so I only have these two under a 24hr 30w CFL.

I'll have a Scrog grow thread up soon once I start the seeds and get the lighting equipment etc.

4. I would plant them just below the lowest leaves and get a fan on them. That will help with the sturdiness. And try using an 18/6 cycle instead of 24 hrs. They seem to grow immensly when they are "sleeping" during that six hours. Good luck.

5. Ok! So its been about 2 weeks since I first got these plants. One of them (I lost track of which was which...) has improved significantly, and has a lot of healthy dark green growth. However...

Plant A) Doing great, except a few of the leaves are yellow and have dark spots on them. I believe the leave affected are older growth from when I got the plants, so all the growth since the transplant is a dark, lush green. So: Should I worry about the few yellow leaves? Should I cut them off? Will they recover?

Plant B) Well... plant b isn't doing well. It has almost no new growth, and it it still rather sick looking. It has begun to develop a reddish brown discoloration around the edges of all the leaves. What should I do? Worst case scenario I could replace the plant, since I have 4 seeds just planted, and 6 more in a germination container.

Suggestions, comments, recommendations, criticism etc please!

Thanks,

Last

(edit: I just figured out that the one doing poorly was the big one initially, and the one doing well was the stunted extra-stretched one. The little one passed the big one =) I now have 3x 26w Daylight CFLs per plant.

Attached Files:

6. besides the obvious streching, they are overwatered, and showing a potassium def.
    cut your water amount in 1/2 they are small & sick not using much water OK

start using the product below, & you will see progress within a few days

Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food (they make several fertilizers be sure its this one)
    http://www.miraclegro.com/index.cfm...t/documentId/637153cfaa6b1ff545c0236933b0a7a4
    Fertilizer Analysis: 24-8-16 with micronutrients
    2 level "Teaspoons" per gallon of water, (reduce this by 50% first time application) feed every other watering till flowering

get a 400HPS asap

7. Rgr. They were stretched when I got them, since they are getting more light now, they havent stretched further. Notice that the new growth is dense.

Not sure how I'm overwatering, I always always wait till I can stick my finger about an inch in and find it dry, although I did overwater at first, about a week ago I realized this and cut back to about 200ml per watering.

I have been using nutrients, a low dose, since about 1.5 weeks ago... so the nutrients should be in the soil allready. Adding more would cause nutrient burn, no? And I've heard bad things about miracle gro anyways. Although I was feeding nutes every time i watered, I'll cut back to every other time. Could the soil PH be out of optimal? (I'm getting some ph testing supplys atm.)
    Further, Ive noticed that the yellow has spread a bit, at the tips of a few of the green new growth. The leaves effected have begun to curl upwards at the tips, which matches the description of a magnesium deficiency, not potassium. However, I'll read the symptoms for that and compare, thanks for the tip.

Also, isnt the 400w HPS in the wrong light spectrum for vegetative growth? This is going to be a flourescent grow only anyways, most economical for my purposes.

Thanks for the response, further discussion welcomed,

Last

8. last pic clearly shows swollen, drooping leaves , this is from overwatering
    well there ya go thats what I diagnosed init

if you would like to learn something about MG products.... I have done some testing:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/132714-miracle-grow-products-shocker.html

well wrong isnt the correct word, I do use a couple 1000w metal hilide for veg & switch to 2 1000HPS for budding, however, you obviously you have cash flow issues but I didnt want to bring it up(this I surmised from the toy lites your using now) so I have recomended the cheapest lighting you can grow efficiently with, and you can grow real well with a HPS only, for both cycles.
    here is a current 2000w HPS ONLY grow I have going on in veg cycle...:cool:

but you Carry On & gluck to you

Attached Files:

9. Very nice grow! Yea, cash is an issue. My roomates are going to pitch in eventually, when they move back in, maybe I'll get a HPS then.

Ive repositioned the fan so it should evap more of the water. Im using a 10-15-10 nute right now, will I see better results with that 24-8-16 MiracleGro?

Ive attached a picture of the problem, as it is now in some of the upper leaves too. Would you say the bigger plant looks overwatered too or am I doing that one right?

Also, should I cut off that really yellow leaf?

Attached Files:

10. the overwatering has caused nutes to be locked out, potassium(yellow marbeling and yellowing tips and leaf margin edges) & nitrogen( bottom leaf devoid of any chloryphill, green)

your PH most likely isnt the issue , as you just potted these within the past 2 weeks

you can do a soil runoff test to be certain, but you will need a PH meter and PH UP & DOWN solutions
    with PH corrected water (6.5-6.8PH ) pour enough water in the pots so the water runs out the bottom of the pot ...test the PH of this water....

you will see unprecidented growth, go read my MG products testing it explanis in detail what to see, and expect to see, when using this fert.

11. So is 200ml a good amount of water for these? Should I water more or less when I water?

12. yes that will work just be certain it dries out before your next watering

you have increased the lighting, your feeding and watering less the plants will come around

13. Ill be back with a new acct name, I was very silly to use my normal one. Thanks for your help!