Studying

Discussion in 'General' started by mos_def, Mar 29, 2011.

1. #1 mos_def, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
    How do you study? Do you start early, or late? Do you even study at all?

I procrastinated and I'm stuck studying for a Philosophy essay tomorrow morning.
    It's on this

"Plato, Aristotle, and Augustine all seem to regard the majority of virtues as dependent upon something else. Please describe this dependency and contrast and compare the three different writers."

2. i start early. usually 4-5 days before my exams.

3. late, i'm a procrastinator. like cramming hours before class and up to right before the test late

i can get away with it now though because my classes are easy, but i gotta learn some time management.

4. I studied alot in college locked in a little room in a library for hours on end.

What's your phl paper about?

5. #5 StayHighAllDay, Mar 29, 2011
    1. preferrably I start early, very early, then come test time I'm fully prepared walking in class kicked back, relaxed and blazed as fuck while everyone else is all nervous.

2. When i procrastinate I start late and just study at least 8 hours of solid, uninterrupted study to prepare for the A

3. I don't study nearly as much as they recommend but I do study and get A's. I consider B's a bad grade. However I am an overachiever when it comes to my academics. I see knowledge and education as power and aim to exploit it the most i possibly can.

6. i like to start studying a few days before. Usually i study alone in my room with some music quietly playing.

7. "Plato, Aristotle, and Augustine all seem to regard the majority of virtues as dependent upon something else. Please describe this dependency and contrast and compare the three different writers."

8. im in a philosophy class too, got a test on wednesday about natural religion

Its a pretty easy class but it can be really dull sometimes, idk bout urs

good luck with your essay

9. It's so boring and my teacher has a monotone voice so I just pass out. Doesn't help I go to bed at 5 am like every night haha..

10. What's the "something else"? The forms? Or the abstract? A universal appeal to human nature? They each view virtues as being dependent on 3 different things?

11. that question is pretty vague..

12. If you said they all thought virtue was based on the same thing, I could make up something for that, or if you said they thought 3 different things, tell me what they are and I can make up something for that too. I love philosophy.

13. #13 KillerKush, Mar 29, 2011
    I study for 40 minutes at a time, take a 10 minute social break 10 minute exercise break.

I always read before class, take notes on the sections we are covering in lecture.
    After lecture summarize the main points stressed by the professor and consolidate the information on my laptop.

I review the notes throughout the week and then four days before the exam I make that information my bitch.

Edit: It is extremely time consuming, however, the amount of information you can recall is unreal.

14. I'm not really sure, I've been slacking and haven't read those parts of the book. So i'm googling sources online.
    Basically I think each philosopher has their own view on what virtue is, and each one's view depends on something different from one each other mostly, while also having some similarities.
    My class starts at 11am so hopefully its not too hard of a question to research

15. Plato probably thinks they are forms, and external cause he's kind of a universalist at least compared to Aristotle who probably thinks they come from within, as in, within the individual. Like a person has virtue inside and has to live up to, or develop it. Augustine probably thinks they come from god. He will be the one doing the religious spin.

16. I study a couple days before, I want to be confident in what I'm studying by the night before.

I make flash cards, if I can. You don't have to make them just for definitions, I make them for papers sometimes. I just made some for sociology. It makes it easier for me to remember talking points or key concepts, not to mention keeps me organized enough to remember what goes where.

17. The library is the best place for me. It's just a hassle carrying all my books and my laptop with me when I walk over there. I'm going over there tonight since I have an exam tomorrow. I usually do it at night so that I can sleep on it and wake up refreshed. Then study a little more right before the exam. I don't toke for studying because it just makes me tired. But I definately will right after studying.

I don't do the flash card thing. It takes too much time making them I'd rather just use what I'm given. It kills more trees too. Hence having a laptop.

18. I hate studying -.-

19. I actually like studying. Curling up in the library with my glasses and a cup of coffee...I like it.

20. I always end up bullshitting on the internet