Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Studying and smoking

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by zay, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Hey guys, I got a question about studying and smoking (don't worry I'm in college). So I know that you should study in the same environment/state of mind that you'll be taking the test in. I'm definitely not gonna be taking any exams high so I don't even try to study while high. But my question is how does bud affect one's retention after studying? I'm not talking about studying then immediately getting high, more like studying early in the day and smoking several hours later. During exam season I typically take t-breaks a few days before the test to get a lot of studying in. The problem is that I've become accustomed to smoking before bed to help me sleep (I could take sleeping meds but i'd like to avoid that). It would make the process more enjoyable if I could know that if I study early & smoke before bed, that i would retain most of the material I learned. I wanted to know what your experiences with this was, before I try it and potentially hurt my grade(s). Thanks.

2. I agree that your decision to not smoke while actually studying is a good idea..

From my personal experience smoking after studying didn't really affect retention.

However just to be on the safe side, I would do a quick last minute review of the material right before the test. 

Good luck bro!

3. Vaping and studying currently. It's math though, and honestly, it's a lot more excited while vaping. But it definitely depends on the individual person. 

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. vaped and studied all the time, retained it just fine. Might have been taking the exams high though too dont remember. But being high while studying allows you to think of alternate ways to remember information.

Atleast in my case. But if your just worried about smoking after you study, don't. You only lose retention while high, so if you study sober it'll all still be in your head.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It depends. I have done it a few times but nothing wrong happens. That is just me though. 

6. I find it best to study in 20-25 minute sessions, 2-3 times a day. Those 20-25 minutes YOU MUST focus on what you want to study because any absent-mindedness is a waste of energy/time and nothing will be impressed upon your subconscious mind. Sitting there studying hours at a time simply does not work and it's actually detrimental to your goal. Now studying then smoking later on should pose no issue given the assumption that you are a person who is goal-oriented and focused. Studying before sleep is something I highly recommend because you can simply give your subconscious mind commands using the conscious mind. Then when you are sleeping the information will be as fresh in the morning as it was the night before. I don't think it's a good idea to smoke before sleep and expect to take on an exam the next day. A sober mind is the most powerful state of mind. Go stone cold sober for however long you're taking to prep for exams, then smoke after it's all done. 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Smoking while studying is prime. I have ADD so it helps me a lot. Just make sure you eat food and drink water to get your metabolism up before you hit the books due to feeling grogy later on while your studying. Just a thought. Happy toking

8. I never found any issues with getting high and studying. I mean you can't get fucking hammered or anything but a buzz is no issue really.

9. I guess it depends on if you're a good student or not. If you need it to get through a study session or to even do one, then of course.

As far as retention is concerned, I have a steel trap of a mind sober (cold sober/tbreak) and I remember things for decades...too much useless stuff it feels like. Cannabis gave me a nice little trick in being able to retain it but not "imprint" it so to speak. So the stuff I really didn't care about, I was able to actually not care about, or be OCD perfectionist retain everything mode.

Same thing with being able to tune people out...was miraculous one day I actually zoned out during an entire conversation I found uninteresting...I told the people "I just missed everything you said and it's amazing!" suffice it to say, I had to explain myself fairly well after that. Cool effect for me tbh, was quite liberating....I digress.

If you're trying to learn this stuff long term and really care about it I'd wait til after exams. Nice tbreak for you to celebrate with

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Test and see yourself. Only you would know :) It's more about how interested you are in what you are learning.

11. Personally, I can't focus at all while I'm high so it takes me like twice as long to study or do homework than if I were sober. A lot of my smoker friends, two of which are my roommates, are perfectly fine with studying while smoking though and they say it's even more fun. I doubt that smoking well after you're done studying will affect you.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. for those who need look up parrots beak its a plant with special memory effects great to use 30 mins before study .