Any time you combust the material, you're essentially burning away from 40-60% of the cannabinoids in the plant, leaving the rest to be inhaled/escape in smoke. It think it's that it gets too hot, so the oils that make the cannabinoids burn away before you can utilize them (by inhalation). Smoking cannabis is the absolute least efficient way to use the medicine as a result. You're also inhaling carcinogens when you combust it, although somehow the cannabinoids even out the risk from cancer from these as you can't get lung cancer from smoking weed. Still not good, though...it's basically like inhaling a campfire. More efficient, but less so than edibles, vaporizing will prevent this inital loss, because you can use the leftover material in edibles. You effectively get a second dose out of your meds! Although it's still inhalation, which goes straight to your bloodstream and bypasses the liver, people still experience symptom relief. The best method is to eat it, by extracting it into a solvent (oil/alcohol/glycerin) or into it's pure form (hash/Rick Simpson Oil/BHO) and ingesting it, either in food or in a pill or just straight, so it can pass through your liver and utilize all of the cannabinoids in the plant. You don't waste near as much when you ingest then through other methods. In fact, if you research Rick Simpson Oil, people are curing cancer by ingesting the oil, not by smoking it. I hope that helps. Like I said, go ahead and try smoking first, since it seems you have your diabetes under control, but I really do think you should try eating it. I think you're going to get better results. And be careful! Don't screw around with your medicine so much you end up in the hospital... Enjoy your Thanksgiving! EDIT: If this isn't enough info for you, or you want to know more, search around the forums for this stuff. This is all where I learned it, so all of this info is around here somewhere. You just have to look (or lurk) in the right places.