Study techniques

Discussion in 'General' started by Pun Intended, Sep 24, 2012.

1. i failed the most important school year of my fucking life this past summer. i now have the opportunity to retake it....however, although i've made an early start, getting my head around studying is still proving difficult.

so:

please share with me your studying techniques :smoke:

2. study a moderate amount everyday instead of all at once.

use a highlighter for main ideas and concepts, also write summaries of your notes, which will force you to at least partially understand them.

perhaps get a tutor or study with your classmates so you can ask each other questions and quiz each other

use all the resources, such as the professor/teacher, the class website, the internet, books, podcasts, people you know, etc.

studying your subject through different types of media should help since everyone is a different type of learner, whether auditory, visual, or kinesthetic

3. Very helpful! I never thought of podcasts. Thank you. :)

You could also try games, flash cards, or making up a song about what you're learning.

4. Read the textbook and actually understand it.
    Make flashcards.
    Smoke weed.

5. Make attainable goals for yourself. For example: I had to read a book this weekend for a paper due next week. To get it done and not procrastinate all week I set the reachable goal of reading ~55 pages a day. Anything can be done, you just have to break up all that studying into smaller, manageable slices.

6. My studying technique is Adderall. Haha like last night I thought a government paper was suppose to 3-5 pages single spaced but it was actually suppose to be doubled space and so my paper turned out to be 9 pages of pure awesomeness. It is taking me longer to trim it down to 5 pages because of how much info I put in it.

I know I'm gonna get a infraction but I'm just trying to help a brotha out

7. Also, highlighters and notes are important! If you lose your attention easily like I do these are crucial to information retention.

8. headphones on, listen to this
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJ-o_fh1B4&feature=related]Celestial White Noise 10 Hours. Sleep Better, Reduce Stress, Calm Your Mind, Improve Focus - YouTube[/ame]
    and read out loud.

9. ive learned that if i have to write it down, i usually remember it. its all about strengthening ur neural pathways

10. this. writing down things helps us remember. taking notes is key.
    reading aloud is also key.

11. thanks for all the helpful advice guys.

i think really what im asking though is ways to get my ass in gear. i procrastinate like the best of them and i just need some incentive or some shit :rolleyes:

12. dude I feel ya, I have been proscratinating for the last 7 hours man. shits fucked... in 2 days I have my final maths exam and in 4 days psychology final exam, but I dont know I still proscatinate or w.e. that word is lol.

13. I get distracted extremely easily when I'm studying so I make goals, read 10 pages, then check twitter or grasscity. Read 10 more, watch a YouTube video. Or just take all electronics out of my room.

Also flash cards and write stuff down.

14. Just take your GED.

15. in england bro, we do a levels for 2 years, i suppose the equivalent of 11th and 12th grade. i failed those years haha so i'm redoing the exams. failing isnt the problem, what im asking is how to achieve success now im in this position

16. yeah like first person aid study a bit each day. doing it all at once sucks and is a bad habit but you have to have some self-control and just do a bit every day. as other's have said take notes/make flashcards, but also if you learn better from hearing there are programs out there that you can type stuff in and it will read it back to you, so instead of writing your notes on paper you ould type them and then have them read to you if that works for you. it's also pretty good for papers to proofread to catch a lot of mistakes you don't notice.

17. Gonna give that white noise a try
    Noticed an instant calming sensation as soon as I clicked play

18. you can try celestial noise too, i like it better

19. I'll tell you, but first your gonna have to get yourself a blank prescription pad...