Study Shows Weed Use In Teens May Drop IQ

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemicalBrother, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Study: Smoking Weed as Teen Reduces Adult IQ

So basically, the new study says if you use weed "habitually" when your under the age of 18 you will lose "8 IQ" points on average.

It goes on to say that, even after you stop it will still decrease your brain function.

Personally i call Bullshit on this, it seems like something to do with the phoney war on weed, also i don't trust just one study done by one company.

Whats Your Opinion On This? :smoke:

2. I remember hearing this on the news over the last few days
    Personally, I'm not sure on how to feel abut this "study"
    If I remember correctly, the study was "done" by a university.... Whatever that means - funded by who though right?

Things like this have been popping up like crazy over the last little while
    Saw a Dr. Phil episode where these two teen pot heads were getting chewed out. Dr. Phil stated that even remote use will cause major repercussions later.
    Personally think its all over hyped facts

3. It's all bullshit, just like DARE

4. They're saying all of this shit because marijuana is becoming legalized.

5. i'd like to see more on the study tbh.

6. Study shows that seeing the same thread a dozen times lowers my ability to give a fuck.

7. Although many of you will deny it, I think that, deep down, we all know that 13 year olds should not be smoking weed heavily. In most cases it WILL have an effect on them in later life.

8. I don't really find it so hard to believe that inhaling smoke habitually will have negative repercussions on a brain that is still developing. If they told me everyone who smokes will see a definite decrease in IQ, then I would probably call bullshit, but I see no reason this isn't plausible.

I personally think it's a bit far fetched, but I'm willing to at least read through and wait for other scientists to either refute or support this particular hypothesis.

9. No offense OP, but it's people like you that harm the fight for legalisation. You can't just refute the claims of a study because you don't like it, that'd make you like the government :p

I've not had a chance to read the study yet, but can you honestly say it's unbelievable that heavy use of marijuana whilst the brain is developing may harm IQ later in life? It's known that usage can affect the synapses, probably not a good idea at a time when the human brain is culling as many synapses as possible to become more efficient.

10. Fuck who cares about book smarts its about life smarts, I feel like im living proof I rarely smoke weed now. Everybody I talk too asks if im high because I think and say things that make people go wtf is he saying? Maybe its just because its me and my way of thinking or ive smoked alot of weed and im this way with a more open mind. Sometimes I speak in riddles and rhymes looking at a bigger picture.

11. No one under 18 should be smoking anyways but you can't stop little niqqas who think they know everything from doing anything so fuck it. Let them be stupid, prolly wouldn't make much of a difference anyways

12. i smoked weed all day everyday from 15 to 17 and i kind of feel dumb about how i went about smoking. now im 20 on probabtion. i mean i guess i was a niave teenager. but once i started actually saving money instead of blowing it all on bud and drugs and the like i just stopped smoking on the weekdays and only smoked on weekends. i really enjoyed that. gave me a reason to man up during the week. like the guy above me said "looking at the bigger picture" i was really stupid blowing my pay checks. and it might of made me dumber but i really doubt it. im out of high school and didnt go to college. i always thought how smart someone was by how much trouble they had in class. i never even payed attention in class. i cant really test out that theory since im not in school anymore. im just ranting now haha time to click post

13. It turns them into mini lil waynes/current generic rapper.They shouldn't be smoking,but that is their parents problem which means it probably will never be resolved.All of the lil 13/14 year olds I have smoked with over the years either think they are gangster or act retarded.

14. #14 JakeTheDuck, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
    I guess you don't realize that universities are one of the most prolific and respected producers of studies, do you? It is ignorance and obstinance such as yours that we who believe in legalization are fighting against.
    If we seek to be credible and valid sources on marijuana, then it is necessary that we approach this study with an open mind. Skepticism is a natural and healthy reaction, but we must give this research a study and a chance. In order to do so, it is necessary we circumvent the bias of mainstream media, and analyze the academic study itself--firsthand.
    Does anybody have a link to the actual study?

15. I have never meant anyone that young that smokes it (hope i never do), but i feel at the age of 16 your mature enough to handle it, without making too much of a jackass out of yourself

16. Gyz it's troo I Wuz tawp of my class thn I smokd weed nd now I need help tyingnmymshoes

17. This study has nothing to do with maturity.

18. Of course it's not bullshit, we all know kids shouldn't be smoking weed. Are you guys fucking serious?

19. too late for this news , *smokes another bowl*

20. That actually makes some sense to me.

I'm sure by teens they more accurately mean "adolescents." The scientific fact is that, in human brain development, your frontal lobes begin to develop at puberty and are not fully developed until around age 20-25 (the end of adolescence).

As this development occurs, teens begin to learn how to think like adults by:

- Focusing attention
    - Organizing thoughts and problem solving
    - Foreseeing and weighing possible consequences of behavior
    - Considering the future and making predictions
    - Forming strategies and planning
    - Ability to balance short-term rewards with long term goals
    - Shifting/adjusting behavior when situations change
    - Impulse control and delaying gratification
    - Modulation of intense emotions
    - Inhibiting inappropriate behavior and initiating appropriate behavior
    - Simultaneously considering multiple streams of information when faced with complex and challenging information

(source)

As much as we who love pot don't want to admit it, being high/stoned immoderately probably will have some negative effects. Many teenagers don't have the good judgement to smoke responsibly, and will go to class baked all the time if they can get away with it. And no, that's not helpful to genuine education at that age, I don't care how smart you think you are.

I can see how a teen, who as not fully developed the mental capacity to think abstractly, would suffer negative consequences to his intellectual development if he smoked weed excessively during periods when he ought to be paying attention in class.