Study finds marijuana may shrink tumors

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by fiver643, Apr 19, 2009.

1. marijuana freedom march.org » Study finds marijuana may shrink tumors

\t \t\tStudy finds marijuana may shrink tumors\t\t

\t\t
    \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t \t\t[​IMG]A joint a day keeps the oncologist away?

Reuters.com reports that a Spanish study published on Wednesday, indicates that THC, the active ingredient in marijuana reduces tumor growth and killed off cancerous cells in a process called autophagy. The research was done on mice with cancer by Guillermo Velsaco and his team of researchers at Compultense University in Madrid, Spain, and the findings were published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.
    “Our findings support that safe, therapeutically efficacious doses of THC may be reached in cancer patients,” said Velasco.
    The study also included an analysis of two tumors from two people with a highly aggressive brain cancer which showed signs of autophagy after receiving THC.
    The researchers said the findings could pave the way for cannabinoid-based drugs to treat cancer.
    As with all reports that indicate research that supports the possibilities of medical uses for marijuana, the media is quick to remind us of the “dangers” of marijuana. As in the Reuters piece, the overall slant of the article seems more to be ringing the warning bells against the killer weed, than a report of a possible medical breakthrough against one of the deadliest diseases known to man.
    Reuters.com:
    The findings add to mixed evidence about the effects of marijuana on human health. Studies have suggested the drug can raise a person's risk of heart attack or stroke and cause cancer.
    Opponents to even thinking about weighing the possible medical benefits of cannabis are quick to point out the dangerous “psychiatric side-effects”, such as it can induce depression and thoughts of suicide. Opponents who use these arguments must be talking about a very small group of individuals who have experienced these “symptoms”, for when you compare these claims against the many millions of people who wish free and legal access to marijuana not only for medical use but also for recreational use such as is the case for alcohol or tobacco, the majority seem to experience just the opposite.
    Reuters.com also points out that several large pharmaceutical companies have pulled the plug on research projects involving medical marijuana:
    Sanofi-Aventis SA in November terminated further development of its cannabinoid drug Acomplia, and Pfizer Inc, Merck & Co Inc and Belgium's Solvay have also scrapped similar products recently over health fears.
    This statement is totally absurd when you look at the long list of possible side-effects and contraindications of most prescription drugs on the market, the same ones developed and produced by these same companies. Just watch television, and you'll see a parade of commercials for prescription drugs which pose even life-threatening side-effects.
    One has to wonder whether the “health fears” the pharmaceutical companies are expressing aren't just a cover-up for pulling out of the cannabinoid research game because they are starting to see the writing on the wall? Why spend millions of dollars on research to develop a pill that will undoubtedly end up being very expensive on the market, when people can grow their own cannabis or buy naturally grown cannabis that will give patients the same results or better? The pharmaceutical companies are greedy, but they are not stupid. it's more profitable for them to simply take that research money and lobby against marijuana legalization in any form.
    And for all these years, that strategy has seemed to pay off big dividends for the pharmaceutical industry at the expense of the American people. Researchers have found and documented evidence of the benefits of medical marijuana for decades, but all national efforts requesting that marijuana be treated as any other possibly beneficial drug have been blocked at some level or branch within the federal government inhibiting even the slightest chance for other government officials, the media, or the general public to regard marijuana as a potential medicine.
    Each day that the federal government continues their game of politics with marijuana, people who could have benefited from it will lose their chance. But then again genuine compassion has never been high on the list of character traits for politicians.

2. i know this is off topic but i jsut want to say that the joints in that pill bottle are rolled shitty. obviously not rolled by a pot smoker:p

u do bring up an interesting point with the drug companies. seeing the "writting on the wall" sounds like what they may have discovered. and if it dont make dollars, it dont make sense. its scary to even consider that drug companies would try to hide the health benefits from millions of people who could could be saved or atleast benefit from marijuana just because it will cost them money.

but i suppose thats how America works.

one thing i always think about though, if i was the owner of that drug company and was going to loss a ton of money would i have the balls give up tons of money to help all those people. id like to think i would but... sometimes i dont know.

3. marijuana is the best thing ever and should be legalized. However, the government and many people are still lost in Reefer Madness. It's your job as a citizen to get things done. This country was created by the people for the people.

4. i told one of my friends about this (doesnt smoke) and he was like of course, its a spanish study, its not reliable.

and i was like what the hell of course its reliable. its more reliable than us studies because scientist can actually study it there without getting arrested!