Students punished for wearing American flags on Cinco de Mayo

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dronetek, May 6, 2010.

1. You are correct sir. I have a home in Akumal and the descendants of the Mayan Indians who reside in the Yucatan definitely have a distinctive appearance.

2. Oh and btw let me add that I think it would have been a bigger deal if the AMERICAN students had worn shirts with french flags on them or something... but honestly? Since when do AMERICAN students get in trouble for wearing AMERICAN flags?

3. war on christmas amirite

4. A Confederate flag I can understand would cause some issues, because it happens to represent a time where our country was divided. However, I can promise you that Martin Luther King himself would not have one problem with the display of the American flag, no matter what day it is.

This thread does not exist because we question the limited Rights in a public school. This thread is here because only now, 200+ years later, are we standing here arguing about the display of an American flag, the same American flag that was flying on the flagpole at this very school and thousands like it. THAT is what this issue is about.

Dude, don't give me the "nobody alive" line. Same thing applies to Cinco de Mayo, unless you know someone born before 1862 that is still alive.

And as far as flags go, I'll make a deal with you. You tell every single immigrant in this country to put away their foreign flags, and I'll put away mine. Yes, the idea behind America is to embrace other cultures, but that doesn't mean we don't have some of our own in this country, or should be shamed or punished to take pride in it.

In much the same way that Christmas trees became "Holiday" trees, this is just another shining example of our society becoming overtly Politically Correct. And in order to ensure we don't offend anyone, we'll eventually become a nation of Atheists, because God forbid anyone show or do anything that would offend anyone in any way on any given day.

5. I dont disagree, as the confederate flag never had anything to do with Chicago. However if you were in South Carolina it would be a different story as that flag has meaning and heritage to them.

What the principal did was wrong. She punished those kids who were in the minority simply for the fact that they were expressing the pride of their nation. Its hypocritical that students can celebrate another nation while disregarding ours. Its wrong that those kids were punished. I honestly hope that this gets national attention and that the administration is censured. While I understand that the majority of the population their may be hispanic, they are here because they chose to assimilate into the United States culture. This wasnt a private school, this was a federally funded public school. :(

6. Exactly! It's not like the school took down the American flag and replaced it with the Mexican flag just for Cinco de Mayo... plus saying that wearing the American Flag on a Mexican holiday is "wrong" seems hypocritical seeing as America is the "mixing pot" or whatever of all different cultures.

7. Why is it that a group of students collectively decided to wear their American colors specifically on Cinco de Mayo? Do they wear these colors as a group on any other random day?

Sure its not right to discriminate against students wanting to wear American colors but for this group to pick this specific day to wear them is an obvious display of defiance and negativity towards the Hispanic heritage.

To say these students are just showing their "American Pride" is total crap... I see it as a passive form of racism. I am white myself so this is not a biased opinion.

8. but the hispanics celebrating cinco de mayo (and the hispanics that were "offended") at that school currently live in America... so how could they consider that to be racist? They weren't wearing white supremacy shirts. There was nothing to do with race at all. They were wearing shirts representing the AMERICAN flag to a school in AMERICA filled with all AMERICAN students.

Sure the school may have been primarily filled with hispanic students but you have to remember that these students (regardless of which race they are) were still americans. Isn't it the school who is promoting racism for even suggesting that wearing an American flag on a hispanic holiday is racist?

9. wtf... how is anyone saying this is ok? I am all for people being proud of where they are from and celebrating their culture, and I often celebrate with them on Cinco De Mayo, on Columbus Day, on St. Patric's Day, on Martin Luther King Day, Cesar Chavez Day, etc. but then did it become ok to have the celebrating culture dictate the actions of other Americans?

What do you think would happen if students were suspended from school for eating in front of Muslim students on Ramdan?

Maybe a bad analogy, but I can't think of anything stupid enough to compare this to.

10. I think I'm starting to see why Cinco de Mayo is a national holiday in the US.

11. Uh, yeah, and in reference to all the Hispanic students celebrating Cinco de Mayo...

"To say these students are just showing their "Hispanic Pride" is total crap... I see it as a passive form of racism."

See how that kind of thinking can be dangerous no matter what side of the argument you're on?

12. those hispanic-american students are american so for them to be offended because of an american flag on a hispanic holiday is to suggest that america is anti-hispanic, which it is not.

13. what if i wear the Flag as a diaper?

14. As long as you don't do it on Cinco de Mayo you're good.

15. yeah. i don't agree with the motivations here, but i find use of the flag as a prop pretty offensive. that pretty much includes making any kind of clothing out of it, a shirt, a diaper, or otherwise. as far as i am concerned, you could ban that shit every day and i'd probably feel better about it.

unfortunately, cowering behind better principles than ones own doesn't come close to any kind of public threat (like yelling "fire" in a crowded spot), and like assholes who protest funerals, we really just have to grin and bear it. that being said, if there wasn't a school rule violated then these students deserve no punishment.

16. What I'm trying to say is.. Why would the group decide to show their US Colors specifically on Cinco de Mayo? There is a time and place for everything. Why couldnt they pick any other day to get together and wear the flag colors? Why couldnt they let the Mexicans have their 1 day of celebration? There are 364 other days in the year they could wear US Flag colors, why pick May 5th?

Lets just say a bunch of us Americans migrated to Canada for whatever reason and on July 4th a group of Canadian students decide they're going to all wear their Canadian flag symbols to school that day. Wouldnt you feel sorta unwelcomed? Does it not seem a little odd that they would pick THAT day in particular to show off their colors?

17. because they're closet homos protesting at a funeral.

we have the freedom of expression, and acting stupid or assholic is not a valid excuse for trying to guide that expression.

18. what this guy said....im glad i found this so i wouldnt have to type it all. +rep

19. why would we get mad when we are in THEIR country??:confused:

Thats like someone going into someones house and telling them whats wrong and whats right! :devious:

20. Wow. I think that this thread just made me a little more racist.