Student Loan Bailout

Discussion in 'Politics' started by camram, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Americans have lost the appreciation of hard work. All these college students would prefer to get their education and do it for free. So they want the Government to be their parents.

Maybe if they were able to get jobs (either through availability or lack of apathy) they could PAY their loans off. You know, the way that you're supposed to do it.

2. no, not us???

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBtxFyIs_ck&feature=related]"Obama will take care of me" - YouTube[/ame]

3. [quote name='"MrThoughtCrime"']Didn't read the thread.

Laughed pretty hard at the OP though. (Lets get spending again :rolleyes:)

That is all :smoking:[/quote]

Maybe you should read the thread...

4. Has anybody read the 'My Day' thread in the Real Life Stories forum? Wake up, smoke a bowl, play video games, smoke more dope, sleep, eat, video games....And some of those same people post elswhere that they can't get a job, or they're tired of living at home etc.

5. [quote name='"Llamamontana"']

Has anybody read the 'My Day' thread in the Real Life Stories forum? Wake up, smoke a bowl, play video games, smoke more dope, sleep, eat, video games....And some of those same people post elswhere that they can't get a job, or they're tired of living at home etc.[/quote]

That lifestyle is no worse than working to have "things". It's a choice yah know.

6. the lifestyle of working to have things is far better in my opinion. i would rather have a nice car/house, and go to work to earn a living to get a nicer car/house than sit around and blaze all day, with people that sit around and blaze all day.

7. Nobody said it was a worse lifestyle. But personally if that's the choice you make I don't want to listen to the complaining of how unfair the world is.

8. [quote name='"chiefton8"']

To become, for example, a doctor?

Many successful careers right out of college/grad school pay dirt initially (interns, fellows, residents, post-docs, etc) when the loans need to be paid off. In the long run, though, these careers can be highly rewarding (financially- and lifestyle-wise). :cool:

My wife for example is in residency as a veterinarian. Right now, she works 60-80hrs/wk earning $27k...and ~40% of her salary goes to pay her med school loans. In about 5 years, however, when she becomes a clinician, she'll easily be earning 6 figures in her specialty, working the standard 9-5. Worth it? I'd think so. :smoke:[/quote]

Only because the business has formed a sort of cartel. No vetenarian is worth 6 figures. My neighbours who is a farmer with lots of animals could teach your wife way better then her schooling and his education was not from college. I'm not againts learning and a higher education just the entitlement mentality.

9. [quote name='"Llamamontana"']

Nobody said it was a worse lifestyle. But personally if that's the choice you make I don't want to listen to the complaining of how unfair the world is.[/quote]

Not my lifesyle either but a person playing video games all day has as much right to the 1st Amendment as someone who works 60 hour weeks.

I have and have had nice things. I used to only wear $200 ties and wrote my notes with a $400 Cartier diablo ball point pen. I worked for these things but at the end of the day they are just things.

If person A has more things than person B, doesn't make person A smarter or more creative, just means person A has their values in the wrong order.

10. [quote name='"camram"']

Not my lifesyle either but a person playing video games all day has as much right to the 1st Amendment as someone who works 60 hour weeks.

I have and have had nice things. I used to only wear $200 ties and wrote my notes with a $400 Cartier diablo ball point pen. I worked for these things but at the end of the day they are just things.

If person A has more things than person B, doesn't make person A smarter or more creative, just means person A has their values in the wrong order.[/quote]

If you are only consuming and not producing anything of value then you are making society worst off as a whole. This lifestyle can only be had if others are producing.

11. yeah i believe that people can earn their keep. i especially cant stand when "old money" people have the "i dont have to work" mentality.

12. Not exactly. What about retired people or people who have already had success and are just chillin' for some time. Steve Jobs was like this.

13. They are living off of savings. Which is real wealth .... Creating more then you consume and saving the rest for later use or trade. I have no problem with old money as long as it was earned honestly. I hope to work hard enough and save so that my kid don't have to work as much as me.

14. I don't care how people earn their money as long as they reveal their secrets upon death!

15. Hmmm... Bernanke on the defense again about $7 trillion in secret bank bailout loans. $7 trillion!!!

Bernanke: There Was No 'Secret' Bank Bailout, And It Was Only $1.5 Trillion - Forbes

Maybe this is just a rumor but if this is true, all of you against student loan bailouts because you never had a bad debt and your tax dollars should not help irresponsible Americans should think again.

$7 trillion in bank bailouts is simply disgusting. Only the extremely wealthy and people of power actually care if the big banks fail. People like Trump who rely on juicy bank loans to build hotels that constantly have empty rooms.

Even if you have accounts with banks like Citigroup, those accounts are FDIC insured up to $250k. IMO, we should have allowed the "banks" to fail in 2008 and simply covered the insurance due to the American people.

16. FDIC is a moral hazard. Banks would be much more careful in how they are doing business if:
    a) No bailouts
    b) No insurance on deposits

Sounds scary, but picking up the tab for bad business decisions is what got us here in the first place. Banks need to be responsible for their business practices, period.

And the bailout is actually 16 trillion btw.

http://publicintelligence.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/fed-bailout-audit.png

17. people are really only making 30k a year from 4 years of college?

18. $7 trillion... $16 trillion... Either way $1 too much. The banks could collapse tomorrow and I doubt I would feel the impact. People on Wall Street and Washington might freak out because their multi-million dollar IRA's are gone but for the average joe, who the fuck cares about IRA's right now.

19. The whole article is well worth the read, but here's a taste.

The Higher-Education Bubble Has Popped by Doug French

20. Or less. Plenty of my college peers are working retail. I also have a friend who got his JD last year and works for this scam personal injury law firm. 8 years of college and he only makes high 30's/low 40's.