Student Loan Bailout

Discussion in 'Politics' started by camram, Nov 23, 2011.

1. unfortunately for you you type faster than you think. see how i did that?

2. #62 OldDaffy, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. :cool:

4. #64 tgr, Nov 24, 2011
    yes yes Al, more useless bullshit. g'job though, you sure made me look bad, in front of everyone here.

5. Just where exactly will this funding come from? Oh yeah. I'll be paying for another 4 years of your kids education.

No more tax-payer funded education. They whole system is madness now.

6. I had to pay off my own student loans, in full. Do I get a refund now, or do I just have to pay for your student loans also?

7. I don't think it's quite that simple and I sure don't have all the answers.
    I just know that the cost of tuition has risen dramatically.
    It is almost impossible to find a well paying job without a college education or a trade skill.

My idea is not free and not a blanket forgiveness program. The recipient of the loan forgiveness would be required to exchange values. His/her time (community service, military,peace corps, etc.)

8. Tuition has risen dramatically because of government guaranteed loans, giving out free money to those who don't qualify for private loans. A lot of these kids end up going to school not knowing what they want to do, and come out with a degree in basket weaving or various other degrees with no real world job aspects.

Guaranteed loans and the group think pushed onto students by the college board and our education system telling us we have to go to college; this provide a mass influx of students allowing colleges to raise tuition prices year after year after year.

It's a bad investment because a lot of students receiving government loans just aren't good students, and it's a waste of their time & your money to pay for them to fuck off and booze it up for the next 4 years.

Without government loans, colleges would be forced to lower prices if they wanted to retain any of their students. When the government picks up the tab, colleges charge top dollar. In a competitive private student loan market, colleges have to cater to the student, with the lowest prices & best services.

9. When I first read your post I was ready to tell you to go fuck off as the sacrifices our family made were probably a little different than the average college kids.

You do not know me yet you say that you will be paying for four more years of my sons education?\

Let me explain how we did it. My son graduated high school 6 months early with a 4.gpa. Although he could have taken student loans at that time he opted not to go into debt. We could not afford to pay for his college because we have a business that was still new when he graduated from highschool and the money was just not there.

My son joined the army as a combat medic. He spent a year in Afghanistan patching up his friends and comrades and holding the hand of a friend while he died from wounds received in an ambush on the Kandahar highway. He left the army with some permenent scars and a disability from injuries sustained in combat. After he finished with the military, my son took a year off, then enrolled in a university where he completed a bachelor/masters degree program with a 3.9 gpa in three yrs(36 months) using the GI bill that he earned.
    He had a year of benefits left so he enrolled in law school. (a little more than $36000.00 per semester). Now he works 2 jobs, has some parental financial support and he borrows enough student loans to live on. He will only be about $25000.00 in debt when he graduates which he will be able to pay himself

So for you to say that You will be paying for 4 more years of my sons education is incorrect.

My premise is that things have changed since most of these kids have taken out loans. Things cost way more and the economy really sucks right now. Student loan debt has outpaced credit card debt. A good job is unattainable with a college degree and if the reports are correct, most student loans will be defaulted on or are in serious arrears. My idea requires that the recipient perform some task to recieve the student loan forgiveness which is a value in exchange for help.

10. Absorbing the student loan debt will only make YOU even poorer down the road.

How do you think these things are paid for exactly? When we can't borrow and tax enough, we print the money to cover the rest, aka INFLATION, your money is now worth even less.

Why would you want to make yourself poorer?

11. read my last post.

12. llamamontana, our position is simple. the cost of tuition has risen because colleges know they can charge whatever price they want, because the govt. backs it up. this causes those who dont qualify to pay an artificially high price. a similiar thing occurs in healthcare, and insurance.

13. I agree....college tuition has risen astronomically because of govt student loans.

If the govt funds education through 16 yrs instead of 12 yrs at state run colleges/universities/and trade schools, the tuition would be a moot point. How much tuition did you pay for your kids first 12 yrs of school? The only thing student loans would be used for are advance degrees.

I DO NOT ADVOCATE FOR A BLANKET STUDENT LOAN BAILOUT!!

I am looking for a reasonable change to the status quo so our kids are not left spending the first 10-15 yrs of the careers paying back student loans.

Again; student loan forgiveness would have strings attatched( read my previous post)

Comparing this student loan issue to the health care program is like comparing apples to aluminum.

14. #74 camram, Nov 24, 2011
    Okay man, from reading your other posts you are like 18 years old and just started college. Grants are not merit based most of the time but are determined after you fill out your FAFSA. I come from a low-income family and got grants all the time but never enough to cover $50k/yr.

Sorry man I got you confused with user tgr

You were not in school when the economy was booming pre-2008 and then all of a sudden fell dramatically. Complete government/parent propaganda for people in my generation. My high school class was like 80 kids and all but 2-3 went to college.

It wasn't like today where people know how student loan debt sucks and parents prep their kids about debt. Let's compare it to the housing crisis. We were lured into attending higher education by the accessibility of student loans.

Companies like My Rich Uncle (you are probably too young to know about this one) took advantage of students, made their money, sold off their debt, declared bankruptcy and walked away free as a bird. Now I use this term loosely but we the victims will carry this debt forever.

Wish I had your parents. Mine pretty much said the world was my oyster. If I could do it again, I probably would not have went to college.

15. Nope. Got a 3.0, a degree in poli sci, minor in history but yes I did attend a top 10 school. I guess I am unqualified for work in your world.

16. How about paying down the national debt first?

17. Wow dude... The world is not so black and white. Maybe you should toke a little more and gain some perspective.

We cannot have a world of the haves and have nots. The US can't function with just doctors, nurses, engineers and lawyers. You need occupations filled in the middle.

18. Alright man this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ does not = happiness. And if you ask me doctors should be paid a lot less.

I bet you we have a % of med students grinding it out because they need the income to pay their loans off but really have no desire to pursue medicine.

And don't get into the whole it's impossible to get into med school if your heart is not in it because my estranged father has been in and out of med school a couple times but finally made it to residency. Dude is a complete jerk and just wants the job for the money.

19. So what ARE you really qualified for? You could at least go back and earn a teachers certificate. Then you could get a job

20. People are already defaulting!!! It's not like 100% are making payments. The government is not being run off of student loan payments.

So in your scenario, people default, get sued, get court ordered judgements and then whenever you have anything in your bank account they can just take. So the last $20 you had for gas to get to work is taken away, you lose your job and create a another problem.

Maybe a complete forgiveness program might be a little too radical for those of you who had great parents, taught yourself about debt, etc but something has to be done.