Stuck Seedings?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Jabbok, Apr 4, 2014.

1. I germinated some seeds. (i've had very poor success with a new batch of feminized seeds as only 1 in 4 will germinate). Anyway, I have four that made it from germinating cup to soil and they've been stuck for a month. Each has four small leaves but they won't take off. What can I do to help them?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

2. If they haven't grown in a month, they're probably dead. What are you planting them in? What's your process?

3. #3 Doc-J, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    This^

They may not be dead but something is definetly wrong. Typicly with new growers and stunted plants it is caused by either low quality soil, poor watering habits, or lack of light.

When i first started growing one of my buddies showed me his plant. Poor thing had been in crappy soil with no light but an 8w kitchen tube floro. After nine months it was a whopping 3" tall with two nodes, how it survived i have no clue. I gave him a 400w hps and we replanted in to new soil and suprisingly enough it started growing, though it was never quite right. Ended up yielding about 11g. So there is always hope until all the leaves are dead.

4. Perfectly said! Sorry about the losses bud!

-Jeffrey-

5. I germinated the seeds in spring water and when the root stem got an inch or two long I planted them in new potting soil. (This is how I've always done it and I've always had success but this is the first time I've messed with "Feminized" seeds and they seem to be more tempramental). They took FOREVER to get an inch tall with four leaves and now they seem to be stuck. Each plant is in it's own pot and I water them with spring water and a little Miracle Grow mixed in. HOWEVER, last night we had a good rain (I had the pots outside) and they've shot up another inch. Maybe they just needed some Nitrate. We'll see.

I get 99% success with this method
    Soak the seeds 24 hours in a pill bottle sitting on a warm cable box or DVR, put in a solo cup of soil 1/8" to 3/16" deep. cover with a sandwich bag and place in a warm place. when it sprouts take the bag off and leave it off and get them under lights 24/0.

I grow some seeds that are $25 a seed and have to have a system to get as close to 100% as possible.

7. Perhaps your soil doesn't have good drainage? Seems something is definitely wrong after a month and only four leaves. Is your soil more spongey-like? Do you have perlite in your soil mix? I had some soil that had a little bit too much vermiculite, so it had shitty drainage and held water way more than needed, and it stunted the fuck out of my seedling. I transplanted to better soil and it's still alive and kicking! It's a little bit mutant-like in its growth but it'll be okay. Good luck! 

Hey Snoop, when you do this, do you have drainage holes in the bottom of the cups?  Or do you just make sure not to over water?

No holes, just a very measured amount of water, they stay in the cups a maximum of 3 weeks. They usually get potted up by 2 weeks.

I grow all my plants with no drainage holes even 5 gallon buckets with no holes clean through harvest. I dont over water.

That's another secret of mine... no drain holes or fans in my grow.

Maybe your light is too far away..if your light isn't close they will grow slow and stretch

11. #11 notAndysandberg, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
    I figured it out i shut them off and start cycling

12. #12 Skunky Monkey, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
    Just sounds like there slow growing not enough light/possibly over watering, plants always do well after a good rain outdoors i always notice mine shoot up it really works after a thunderstorm, it's the positive and negative ions and electrons ect.. 

Make sure you don't over feed with that mg man, maybe post a few pics so we can see how there doing  :smoking:  sounds good though i've had poor success with germinating feminized seeds recently as well, the seedling stage is very nit picky for most feminized genetics usually early veg can be pretty tricky but once they get there roots and leaves and there of good size they start really growing and doing well. 

13. I know that light has been an issue for me. I have placed the lights too close and burned them. I've just had them outside in the sun but I moved them back inside today and I have them under a couple of grow lights. The lights are about three feet above the plants and I'm going to let them burn 24 hours a day until I know the roots have set and then I'll cut back to 18 hours a day. I'll post pics in a day or two. I usually don't have problems with over watering so I don't think that is the issue.
    I had 3 Bubba Kush seeds that had been soaking in a shot glass for about 30 hours. One seed had opened just enough to see the whitish/green root wanting to bust out. The other two looked the same as they did when I put them in but they weren't floating. I planted these as suggested above. I use Kentucky Fried Chicken cups. The cups that comes with a couple of strips on one side and fries on the other. I drilled holes in the bottom, filled each side with soil and planted the seeds. The clear snap on cover is a perfect dome! We'll see if the seeds come up in a day or two.

14. what strain?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Don't know what strain. Don't know what that means. I think I need to find a new place to purchase seeds. I bought twenty seeds and onky 4 have come up and they're struggling. I've never had this much trouble before.