Stubborn friend won't accept weed?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by Durb, Jun 6, 2012.

1. So I've known this girl since we were both about two, we're seriously close. The problem is, she recently found out I started smoking a while back (I didn't keep it from her actively, it just never came up in conversation) and she flipped. She's one of these people that's really oblivious to the facts, and believes all of the propaganda bullshit that the government spew at us. That I'm fine with, because you can't expect any different when they haven't actually researched it.

The only problem is, I've shown her articles, shown her the union, and she still won't accept it. She brings up things like cancer, the mental problems it can bring, things like that. I've countered all of these arguments, and she still won't listen. Her arguments about the articles are that they aren't supported by scientists, so they could be biased. :confused:

Idk. She's so stubborn but I just don't want this to hold our friendship back, as it is. She brings it up in every conversation, asks me to promise not to smoke anymore and things like that. It's not that I won't give up weed for her (I'd do that gladly if she had a legitimate reason after researching it) but I want her to take in the facts before trying to make me stop. Of course if she had a totally legitimate reason and still wanted me to stop, I would.

Does anyone have any articles that are directly backed up by qualified scientists or doctors, or any way to convince her?

And before anyone comes here like 'Fuck her OP' or anything along those lines, I'm not going to trash our friendship (possibly the best one I have with anyone) for weed. Not happening. So just some real advice, please. Thanks. :smoke:

2. Your friend is extremely dense. Can't fix that...just don't bring it up I guess.

3. If your friend doesn't like it, she can get over it. If she wants to act like a bitch and end your friendship over it, then she obviously isn't a true friend man. She's most likely just trying to look out for you though.

4. Yeah it's not that she's trying to end the friendship, she wouldn't do that after how long we've been close friends. I think that's the problem though; she's heard so much bullshit about it that she's worried that it's going to harm me. I just don't get why she can't see the facts that I put in front of her :confused: Idk, call me a pussy or whatever but I feel shitty doing it (even if I know it's perfectly harmless) when it makes her unhappy or worried.

5. [quote name='"MarleyIsaLegend"']If your friend doesn't like it, she can get over it. If she wants to act like a bitch and end your friendship over it, then she obviously isn't a true friend man. She's most likely just trying to look out for you though.[/quote]

what this guy said . Some people are just ignorant even though they may know the facts some people just won't change if u already showed her the union & evidence its not bad all hope is lost haha jk but maybe look for granny storm crows articles if she still doesn't listen idk

6. what you gotta do, is make some hash brownies, give them too her, then once she enjoys them and gets blasted she will be fine with weed. or hate you for ever, its a 50/50 shot.
    but really though, I was in her possition before i started smoking. I hated my brother and his friends for the longest times because they smoked a lot. but after a while i just figured, they can do what they want. you gotta tell her that youre being responsible with it and that its not like bath salts so she doesnt have to worry about you eating her face. she may not end up wanting to do it, but she may end up being okay with it. just give it time. friends dont have to agree on everything.
    if weed makes you happy then blaze up

7. I know how you feel.. I've been there and done that:/ Its so hard to give advice on this. I just basically made sure weed didn't come near me and my friends relationship and assured her that I'd be perfectly fine, and if any bad effects were noticed, I'd stop immediately. I hope something works out for you

8. this :metal:

9. I actually considered this before I judged it to be a very bad decision ahahaha. No but seriously, I'd rather convince her and have her accept it than just ignore it :L I'm not bothered whether she ends up doing it or not, I just want her to be happy with me doing it.

Yeah, thanks dude. :L Idk, it's not coming in between our relationship but it might start to, if she carries on being so stubborn. If it does start to affect our relationship I'd give it up even though I think I'm in the right, but I'd rather not.

10. is she against alcohol, caffeine, or sugar? there's no doubt about what alcohol does to your system and there's no doubt about the increasingly negative impact sugar is having on people. i guess, is she just against all sorts of drugs or is it just weed?

11. She's against all illegal drugs. That's what irks me, the fact that she believes the bullshit that because it's illegal, it's bad. :( I'm not saying that she's cool with tobacco or alcohol, but she doesn't really say anything if I go out and get wasted and have a few cigs. She'd be pissed if I started smoking tobacco regularly, as she should be. She's just got this point blank opposition to weed for some reason.

12. interesting! so i mean, she's sorta got a point. very little (if anything) is good without moderation. the argument can totally be made you'd be healthier if you never drank, smoked (weed/tobacco), etc.. i mean it also depends on the situation: are you just when do you typically smoke? perhaps she likes to be around you when you're sober, maybe she's worried about you getting in trouble, or maybe she's just so unaware of what it's actually like she's thinking the worst: imagine thinking weed was like an acid trip...most popculture doesn't accurately depict what smokin' weed is like. i'd really try to get to the heart of the issue: she may just be deflecting the real reason she doesn't like you smoking by saying it isn't healthy. also realize there's levels of smoking, especially when you're gonna hang out with her, you don't have to get totally lit but just a little roasty and see how she handles it...i'm willing to bet she either: doesn't like the way you are when you're high, or she looks down on it. just try having significant conversations, not arguments about it. try to get her to talk more than she listens that way you can dissect the true reason for her non-acceptance. or again, she may just be so massively misinformed about the health impact--but if that's the case there aren't so many studies that prove it's not harmful but rather there's studies that don't prove it is harmful. again, i go back to moderation--and indulgence is fine and good as long as it's not all the time. i mean, eatings snickers surely isn't good for you compared other things, but it's surely better than others and surely won't kill you if you eat a little piece every day or a whole bar once in a while, etc..good luck, sorry for the rambling..cheers

13. #13 Storm Crow, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
    Let's educate the poor girl! :devious:

I presume that she is aware that THC and CBD (cannabidiol) are the two main chemicals in cannabis.

So let's start with lung cancer. Cancer is a physical ailment- you can see the tumor and measure it.

Obviously, a chemical that stops the growth and spread (metastasis) of lung cancer isn't going to cause it! And since PubMed is a "dot gov" site, the government KNEW in 1977 that THC slowed lung cancer in mice, and it keeps getting more studies saying that cannabis does NOT cause lung cancer, but may, in fact, be a cure for it!!! :eek:

In vivo effects of cannabinoids on macromolecular biosynthesis in Lewis lung carcinomas. (abst - 1977) In vivo effects of cannabinoids on ma... [Cancer Biochem Biophys. 1977] - PubMed - NCBI

("Fast-forward" 30 years and thousands of lung cancer deaths :cool: )

{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer.
    (abst - 2007)
    http://www.aacrmeetingabstracts.org...searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=1760&resourcetype=HWCIT

That last one isn't PubMed- it was a presentation of a team of doctors at a medical conference!

Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial growth factor-induced lung cancer cell migration in vitro as well as its growth and metastasis in vivo. (abst – 2008) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17621270

Decrease of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 may contribute to the anti-invasive action of cannabidiol on human lung cancer cells. (abst - 2010) Decrease of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 may ... [Pharm Res. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol inhibits cancer cell invasion via upregulation of tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinases-1. (abst - 2010) Cannabidiol inhibits cancer cell invasion ... [Biochem Pharmacol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol inhibits lung cancer cell invasion and metastasis via intercellular adhesion molecule-1. (abst – 2011) Cannabidiol inhibits lung cancer cell invasion and m... [FASEB J. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Since she is a woman, she fears breast cancer. She should do a little reading on the subject. At PubMed, you only get the abstracts for these, so I have used the URLs you need to get the full studies.

Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma (full - 2006) Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma

9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in Human Breast Cancer through Cdc2 Regulation (full - 2006) http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/66/13/6615

Cannabidiol as a novel inhibitor of Id-1 gene expression in aggressive breast cancer cells. (full - 2007) Cannabidiol as a novel inhibitor of Id-1 gene expression in aggressive breast cancer cells

Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits 17beta-estradiol-induced proliferation and fails to activate androgen and estrogen receptors in MCF7 human breast cancer cells.
    (full – 2008) Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits 17

JunD is involved in the antiproliferative effect of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol on human breast cancer cells (abst - 2008) JunD is involved in the antiproliferative effect of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol on human breast cancer cells.

Inhibition of Breast Cancer Aggressiveness by Cannabidiol (abst - 2008)
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Research Page: Inhibition of Breast Cancer Aggressiveness by Cannabidiol[/FONT]

Cannabidiol induces programmed cell death in breast cancer cells by coordinating the crosstalk between apoptosis and autophagy. (abst – 2011) Cannabidiol induces programmed cell death in... [Mol Cancer Ther. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Pathways mediating the effects of cannabidiol on the reduction of breast cancer cell proliferation, invasion, and metastasis. (abst – 2011) Pathways mediating the effects of ca... [Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

That should be enough to show her that maybe the good people at DARE were not being exactly truthful about certain things! :eek:

Now, see the bottom of my sig? SEND ME AN EMAIL!

I'll send you back over 670 pages of links to cool studies that can "rattle the cage" of those poor folks who actually believed good old "Officer Friendly", their 7th grade DARE instructor! :rolleyes:

Granny :wave:

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

14. #14 As Above So Below, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
  15. Yay! Storm Crow came and saved the day! Show your friend those articles that storm crow posted for the evidence that marijuana is safe. As for the legality thing this should explain why its illegal (There's links at the bottom to books written on the subject if she chooses not to believe that page by its self) :

Why is Marijuana Illegal? « Drug WarRant

Honestly I feel like your friend is being very childish and controlling. My bestfriend drinks every single time he goes out. Even if its a weeknight and he'll still drink when he goes out on the weekends too. Alcohol is bad for your body and drinking it as often as he does at such a young age can not be good. I've told him before that it isn't healthy to drink as much as he does and he said he knew that and that smoking weed everyday wasn't good for me. He thinks weed is worse for your health than alcohol.

The difference between us and you guys is that we both stated how we felt about it and left it alone. I don't bitch at him about what he does and he doesnt bitch at me. We respected each others decisions. I think your friend needs to grow the fuck up, open her eyes to the information in front of her and stop trying to control you.

16. I'm just going to say, if someone is constantly nagging me about my habit like that I wouldn't hang out with them ever again. It's kind of hard to enjoy being high when someone is giving you so much hell about it. It's 2012 it blows me away how so many are still close minded.

The fact that you are even considering changing yourself and the things you like to do for the approval of someone else that just makes you a fake, and a total tool.

People come and go man, I used to have a friend I partied with a lot and smoked with with a lot, we used to be really close. But eventually he just started to become this pretentious douche bag so I eventually stopped talking to him all together.

She's a fucking CUNT OP let her go. Can't Understand NoThing.

17. Thankyou so much for the links, I really appreciate it. If she doesn't accept it after reading those, I don't know what will convince her :confused_2: Thanks alot! :D

I think its more her being needlessly worried about me rather than trying to control me - I just don't understand why she's so worried in the first place. She's actually pretty smart, gets good grades etc, but she just won't accept the plain facts in front of her.

I'm not going to end our friendship of 17 years over weed man :confused: And the fact that i'm considering stopping weed doesn't mean im changing myself, or I'm a fake or a tool, it means that I fucking care about someone enough to consider what they have to say.

18. Fuck her op

I mean, like actually have sex with her

Some solid stuff by storm crow

19. It really does make you a tool man, a pussy whipped tool at that, friendships come and go. You should be surrounding yourself with people who accept you for who you are, you should never have to change yourself or your lifestyle.

My girlfriend doesn't really approve of marijuana anymore (she used to smoke), but she doesn't sit here and lecture me about it, doesn't stop me from smoking it, doesn't get annoyed because I'm high, actually takes into consideration the knowledge I give her.

20. Uhh, dude the whole reason he's making this thread is because he doesn't want to stop, but he doesn't want to lose her as a friend either. That's his whole problem. So don't call him pussy whipped, that doesn't even make sense since she's just a friend. He's not a tool, he didn't say he was quitting, did he? He said he'd quit if he had a legitimate reason to.

So basically he just wanted ammunition to use in an argument, and people delivered with a vengeance.

So quit being a tool and get out of this thread if you don't have anything good to put in.