Stubbed the bejesus out of my small toe, no insurance or pain meds. What to do?

Discussion in 'General' started by cwmasterbob08, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Can't get it x-rayed or treated. Pain 2-3.5/10 resting, 8-10/10 standing, 12/10 pushing the toe any direction other than up or down, I have control, but only about 80% usual control before the pain is too much. I don't have any sandwich baggies but I can make ice, what would you use to make an ice bag? And I do have an ace wrap somewhere. Help me out, please.

2. Biggest question is. Does it feel like it could be broken or just very badly bruised?

3. Been there, done that...many times, most recently a few months ago in the yard.

But...let's go back a step and think about what they could have done even if you had insurance...take x-rays...yep, it's broken (or what there is in the little toe to break in the first place). HOWEVER...since it is the little toe, there is no way to really immobilize it with a cast and you cannot even splint it with a Popsicle stick and tape.

So...other than a big medical bill (deductible will have to be paid and could well even be more than the x-rays will have cost) and the time being told it's broken but they cannot do anything other than write a prescription for pain meds, what do you gain? Nothing of note.

Soak it, be careful with it for the next week...try to flex it with your hand from time to time. It is also going to be so purple that Barney the fucking dinosaur would be jealous. As a result of the bruising, it will be swollen for a week or so. As the blood gets absorbed, expect the top of the foot to get yellowish-green for another week or so...

4. Pull it straight, tape it to the next toe, suck it up.

5. Happened to me early this year. Kicked a wall and fractured my big toe

I know the pain can be excruciating but there isn't much they can do unless it's broken. I didnt get meds. Doc told me to keep it still and not wiggle too much. Well I wiggled away and it still hurts almost 9 months later. It's more of a 2/10 but it was a 9/10 before (conservative number)

I advise you to tape it to the next toe, so it'll heal correctly. put ice on it for the swelling and toughen it out for a few weeks

6. I agree with this. Has happened many times to me. Life goes on.

Tape it up, limp around for a week or 2. And avoid a 2,000 medical bill.

It hurts like a mf but it will start to stop after about 3-4 days

7. Get a cheap flight here and ill take you to hospital and get it fixed.

8. #9 Serapsis, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    if its anything like injuring a finger they cant really do much besides splint and immobilize it...

I fractured my thumb once and couldn't do anything.... so i just kept it wrapped and immobilized.

Only other thing that could be done is screws, but you'd have to of shattered it in that case.

9. Get it splinted - front, back and sides. Otherwise it will most likely grow crooked (one way or another) and bother the fuck out of you way down the road.

I'm not even impressed with taping to the next toe - unless you want your fractured toe to heal all jammed up against your other toe which would also probably feel like shit eventually.