Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Strong alcohol tincture help!

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by JonNyR23, May 23, 2018.

1. Am I doing this right?

So I decarbed my weed, 25grams.
    350mil 96% Alcohol added to the bud until it was covered.
    Mixture placed in freezer for two weeks.
    (Its only been a week so far)
    I've been stirring it every day.
    Once the two week or so is over I'm going to remove it from the freezer, allow it to react the room temp then I'm heating the mixture to the alcohol boiling point until I'm left with the thick black oil at the bottom.
    Then I'm going to syringe the black oil and add it to capsule with health food grade oil.

Will this work?????
    I want max strength thc potency.

2. #3 eljumito, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    It'll work but keeping it in the freezer that long will also pull out a lot of chlorophyll and waxes from the plant that most of us are trying to avoid. My first tincture experience was about three years ago, making an old fashioned tincture with just decarbed weed and 95% alcohol sitting in a jar for two weeks. It tasted so horrible that I ended up evaporating the alcohol and making flavored vape juice with it to cover up the chlorophyll-y taste. Not saying your tincture is going to taste bad, but it might since you're keeping the bud and alcohol together for so long. Yes, keeping the alcohol and weed cold does slow that down but two weeks is a long time. Keep in mind that the usual Quick Wash Ethanol method involves mixing weed and alcohol in a beaker or jar for 30 seconds to 3 minutes- that's how quickly the alcohol strips the thc off of the plant. I use PsychedelicSam's method of freezing both the bud and alcohol for 24 hours before combining the two and ultimately putting it in the freezer for two hours and shaking for a total of fifteen minutes throughout the process, and that works great for me. I get a fuller bodied tincture than a Quick Wash would probably give me and it doesn't taste like green ass. I'd be straining that tincture today if I were you but that's just my flashback from the bad old-fashioned tincture that kept me from making another one for a few years before I figured out I could make a good tasting one without the grass-y chlorophyll taste overwhelming everything. Have you ever smelled or smoked a batch of poorly cured homegrown weed? That's what a terrible tasting tincture smells and tastes like and once you've made one of those you'll never want to do that again. Listen to us man, there's a bunch of collective experience in here and we all want you to learn from our mistakes and make a good product.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. You left out the straining step, but that was probably just an oversight.
    I assume you are using the freezer method to avoid chlorophyll and plant waxes, so cold straining is called for.

After removing alcohol, your resulting FECO will be hard to handle.
    Adding some warm oil to it, or leaving in a small amount of alcohol will make it easier to handle.
    I like to use 28-30 g herb to fill a 1 oz tincture bottle, and both oil and alcohol have their advantages in a tincture.
    For good 15% thc herb, that's about 4 or 5 mg thc per drop.
    Strong tinctures can be used for many things, including putting into capsules and making edibles.

You are using a good method, and are probably incorporating almost all the herb's medicine.

• Like Like x 2
  4. It sounds like you're doing a version of Rick Simpson oil, but decarboxylating first. Since evaporating off the alcohol adds more heat, I would just keep the heat very low so the THC isn't degraded too much.

5. Oh my goodness.. Why complicate things? After you decarbox it and have whatever ratio to hash you want, stick it it the oven, with the lid loose and let it bake at 90C for 3 hours. Same if your using weed that's been decarboxed. I've been using that method for years and it works a treat.