Strobe Lights?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Jackboot007, May 1, 2010.

1. Anyone know what would happen to a plant if say you threw a strobe light into your grow room... maybe a disco ball for some ambience?

lol, seriously... the strobe light.

What kind of effect...if any, would this have on a plant?

2. I think it would make then dance.

3. if the light is just supplemental, and only turned on when the other lights are on, then the effect will probably be nothing

if the light is on during the dark, its bad (obviously)

if you are using the strobe as a primary light, its probably also bad, because the plant determines whether to vegetate or flower based on the ratio of light to dark (the state of the compound phytochrome, which is regulated by exposure to light or dark). Constantly flashing from light to dark will not allow for the phytochrome to react properly, and will either slow your plant down, or stress it out entirely

4. I don't have one setup...

but was wondering if anyone knew anything about it...

obviousely it's bad for the plant... just like discotheques to humans, lol.

5. ouch its giving me a headache just picturing it in my mind

6. your plants would start studdering:yay:if they could talk.

7. i've heard it works well growing some dank epilepsy kush, but i dunno about other strains...

8. You'd be better off putting a stereo in there with a Bob Marley CD ;)

9. I was interested so I ran a search. Some interest infor for LED users. Ends in a sales pitch, but an easy read. The end result was that there was no difference between the control and the subject, but 1/2 the energy was used.

Space Horticulture

10. I have to agree with that. I think if your growing a haze strain and you turn that strobe on those plants be trippin' bro. With an indica I think they'll just be couch potatoes and those wallflowers will just go "Ewwwwwwwww".

Seriously.........right? :D

11. this is like the funniest, most retarded thing I've heard in a while. Awesome to OP + rep

12. The light mentioned in the article seemed like a strobe because it had frequent flashes with the light period being shorter than the dark period for each individual flash, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a strobe. Honestly I feel that a female would hermmie under just a strobe however, it may not if the strobe is constant. Also, your average strobe would probably die after a few days and wouldn't be that strong anyway however, there are very powerful strobes out there. If it was used as a supplement to existing light it would probably not make a difference unless the existing light was extremely weak and the strobe was very intense. Ha, someone should try a tanning bed light and a strobe from the top of a cell phone tower(u know the kind that worn plains or whatever).

13. :laughing: