strobe lights??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tomtomslick, May 14, 2003.

1. I have heard that you can set up your hps or floros on a type of strobe system and that the plants will grow like they were getting 24/7 light and that it reduces the light bill and heat output?? Anyone ever hear of such a system??

2. No, I think a strobe effect would burn up a HPS ballast and bulb, especially since it takes an HPS about 5 minutes to warm up and really get to going.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I think what you heard about was running the flouros when the HPS is off and providing a "midday sun" effect.

Speaking of strobes, tho, has anyone ever tried growing with a strobe light in addition to conventional lighting?

Peace

4. I knew that a hps was not likely to run from a stobe or even the floros because they both need warm up time. I'm trying to find this person again to ask some questions. I think he said he ran the strobes at night to defeat the thermal shit the cops have and I forget what he said the lumens were on the strobes but it was off the chart. I've been getting flyovers from a lot of choppers and have basically had to shut down the room at night. I guess I will just have to switch to floros at night

5. I'm about to trial strobe lights as part of my 24/0 sequence. Also got CCFLs providing most of the light.

Its a 1500w strobe light so I think a few things will happen

• it'll kill my plants
    • it'll burn my plants
    • they'll mutate into sentient beings but they'll suffer from wicked epilepsy
    OR

• They'll be deliciously thick, green and Dank
    Will post pics as it happens.

6. duuuude, i'm baked and geekin over that right now. good stuff man, good stuff:smoking:

7. I just found this thread because it came to me somehow as I was sitting here after smoking some chocolate chunk. I would really be interested in the effectiveness of this becaause a strobe has such high intesity bursts that perhaps shoots these photons in a more explosive manner. Howerver Im pretty sure that the speed of light is the max speed those little photons can go ergo a strobe shouldent have much of a benefit over conventional HID. Except for perhaps energy savings and the stealth factor mentioned above.

8. the small incandescent bulb in your/your friend's strobe light will not do anything useful...

9. Small? 1500watts of strobage?

10. I think the strobe would be a good idea, ONLY if you were playing some sick ass techno music along with them!

It might give your buds a nice acid effect!:hello:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. im gonna start growing using an actual strobe light. i looked up the xenon bulb and it provide enough blue and red light to grow plants

12. I know I'm a few decades late to the party..

But I have a novel solution that I just had to share. I have a bunch of 3000w gas dischard strobe lights.

These monsters draw 2000w from the wall at 200v, and strobe at a rate of up to 35hz.

I did some digging, and it appears that rates of 25-30hz will not have an impact on growth.

The max output of my strobes at full power is 180,000 lumens, which roughly equates to 4100 umol/s or about 2x the flux per meter square of the sun. The beam angle is 90 degrees, and they are already equipt with a high efficiency reflector.

If I hang one up in my small grow space, and set it to half power at 25hz, I will effectively have 2000umol/s with 5amps or 1000w draw on the wall. Assuming the heat exchanger can maintain this, it can run like this for a very long time, and there is no need for a ballast as its digitally controlled and gas discharge is working differently compared to various metal vapor lamps.

I actually think this is worth trying! The only downside is the risk of fire and overheating, and the constant tazer click sound every time the tube ignights.

13. #14 bryan oconner, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Do not strobe any light lol .
    Do you want me to strobe a light for you ? How would that make you feel ? Streesed ?
    Save money in veg yes. easy.
    Two timers Two lights . One is a metal halide 1000 watts will say pumping a massive amount of light onto the plants .
    The other is a t5 set up . will say four bulbs 200 is plenty
    Ok 6 on for the 1000 and it turns off. The t5 turns on for 6 hours So on and so on . Saving you 800
    watts for 12 hours . Saves money and works well . there is constant light 24/7
    I do it its almost the same as running that 1000 24/7
    Now somebody will say dude quit being stupid run 18/6 idiots saves money .
    This is not true in the long run fans running . Plants do not require rest costing you valuable time plants could be growing in those 6 hours of off .
    In flower there is no skimping . You need get some light. If you have to borrow grandmothes lamps lol get them .