String Theory

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by TylerNine, Mar 1, 2009.

1. So I have been reading up alot on string theory, quantem mechanics, dark matter and all that fun stuff lately, i think i have a pretty good basic understanding of string theory.

Im not fully on board with this theory since it has yet to be proven and right now there is no way of proving string theory in a lab. The large hadron collider may be the first machine capable of getting us the results we need, but that won't be up and running until september or october i believe.

Here is a very good video it's about 3 hours long and is split up into many different parts explaining all about string theory and how it works

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program_d.html

What is everyone eles opinion on this subject?

2. I actually first watched that special on String Theory when this video first came out, I must have been 12.

I follow along fairly easily.
    Another video you should watch is this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ca4miMMaCE"]YouTube - how-to-imagine-the-tenth-dimension[/ame]

String Theory talks about Strings existing in multiple dimensions. That video explain what those dimensions are. It's pretty difficult to wrap your head around it as it goes from the 1st dimension the the tenth.

One problem I have with String Theory is that it is this theory that is treated like law even though there is barely anything to prove it.

The part of the string theory video that started talking about multiple universes wih different laws of physics was pretty amazing though

3. I'm still muddling through quantum field theory and topology so I haven't taken a proper look at the the mathematics of string theory. As precise as the field theories have been experimentally they still contain some questionable mathematics. I believe string theory, or rather M-theory, fixes some of these problems, though more questions possibly have been raised to take their places. However, if it has not been proven experimentally it is not yet science, but merely abstract mathematics.

4. #4 supernothing351, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
    all im going to say is watch "THE ELEGANT UNIVERSE" as posted above. its awesome. i think its a great theory, but its just that, a theory. almost impossible to porve or disprove during this time.

5. Exactly, and all we can hope is that the large hadron collider can provide us with some sort of answers.

6. i find the theory very interesting. it's a plausible theory, but unproven. but that doesnt mean it cant be.

7. have you seen the electron or proton collider they fucked around with? i forgot which one it was lol. but when they took pictures at the instant they collided. the created matter, per se, for a split second, and then it all just dissapeared. it was pretty crazy.