String Theory

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by gonejah17, Oct 26, 2007.

1. anyone know about this???

and if anyone does can u break it down in stoner's terms??

if not I will try to share the limited amount I have learned.

slowly:smoke:

2. String theory is a model of fundamental physics, whose building blocks are one-dimensional extended objects called strings, rather than the zero-dimensional point particles that form the basis for the standard model of particle physics. The phrase is often used as shorthand for Superstring theory, as well as related theories such as M-theory. By replacing the point-like particles with strings, an apparently consistent quantum theory of gravity emerges. Moreover, it may be possible to "unify" the known natural forces (gravitational, electromagnetic, weak nuclear and strong nuclear) by describing them with the same set of equations, as described in the Theory of everything.
    For a scientific theory to be valid it must be verified experimentally. Few avenues for such contact with experiment have been claimed.<sup id="_ref-0" class="reference">[1]</sup> With the construction of the Large Hadron Collider in CERN some scientists hope to produce relevant data, though it is widely believed that any theory of quantum gravity would require much higher energies to probe directly. Moreover, string theory as it is currently understood has a huge number of equally possible solutions.<sup id="_ref-KKLT_0" class="reference">[2]</sup> Thus it has been claimed by some scientists that string theory may not be falsifiable and may have no predictive power.<sup id="_ref-Wrong_0" class="reference">[3]</sup><sup id="_ref-1" class="reference">[4]</sup><sup id="_ref-2" class="reference">[5]</sup><sup id="_ref-Smolin_0" class="reference">[6]</sup>.
    Studies of string theory have revealed that it predicts higher-dimensional objects called branes. String theory strongly suggests the existence of ten or eleven (in M-theory)<sup id="_ref-3" class="reference">[7]</sup> spacetime dimensions, as opposed to the usual four (three spatial and one temporal) used in relativity theory; however, the theory can describe universes with four effective (observable) spacetime dimensions by a variety of methods.<sup id="_ref-4" class="reference">[8]</sup>

3. The basic idea behind all string theories is that the constituents of reality are strings of extremely small size (possibly of the order of the Planck length, about 10<sup>−35</sup> m) which vibrate at specific resonant frequencies.<sup id="_ref-9" class="reference">[13]</sup> Thus, any particle should be thought of as a tiny vibrating object, rather than as a point. This object can vibrate in different modes (just as a guitar string can produce different notes), with every mode appearing as a different particle (electron, photon, etc.). Strings can split and combine, which would appear as particles emitting and absorbing other particles, presumably giving rise to the known interactions between particles.
    In addition to strings, this theory also includes objects of higher dimensions, such as D-branes and NS-branes. Furthermore, all string theories predict the existence of degrees of freedom which are usually described as extra dimensions. String theory is thought to include some 10, 11, or 26 dimensions, depending on the specific theory and on the point of view.
    Interest in string theory is driven largely by the hope that it will prove to be a consistent theory of quantum gravity or even a theory of everything. It can also naturally describe interactions similar to electromagnetism and the other forces of nature. Superstring theories include fermions, the building blocks of matter, and incorporate supersymmetry, a conjectured (but unobserved) symmetry of nature. It is not yet known whether string theory will be able to describe a universe with the precise collection of forces and particles that is observed, nor how much freedom the theory allows to choose those details.
    String theory as a whole has not yet made falsifiable predictions that would allow it to be experimentally tested, though various planned observations and experiments could confirm some essential aspects of the theory, such as supersymmetry and extra dimensions. In addition, the full theory is not yet understood. For example, the theory does not yet have a satisfactory definition outside of perturbation theory; the quantum mechanics of branes (higher dimensional objects than strings) is not understood; the behavior of string theory in cosmological settings (time-dependent backgrounds) is still being worked out; finally, the principle by which string theory selects its vacuum state is a hotly contested topic (see string theory landscape).
    String theory is thought to be a certain limit of another, more fundamental theory - M-theory - which is only partly defined and is not well understood.

4. Bratano - pretty good stuff there

Its pretty hard to explain string theory in elementary terms,

I only studied it very briefly, but one thing thats hard to imagine is the concept of higher dimensions. But think of it like this, when a human walks on a string, he has limited degrees of freedom. He can jump, and walk in the direction o ffthe string, thats about it
    However, put a fly on the same string, and he has all degrees of freedom still, he is small enough to realiz he can still move across the string, along the direction of the string, or jump away from the string.
    So as you move smaller things experience higher degrees of freedom.

5. I've got a tiiiiiiiny grasp of at least some of QM, so this is just pure guesswork - but I think we could find that there isn't a string creating the vibrations that we call particles, but that the vibration appears in response to quantum fluctuations. The 'background' state moves in some way and causes 3 dimensional (and outwards to other dimensions) ripples that we see as quantum particles. I don't think there's a guitar string or pebble in the pond effect creating them.

MelT

6. There's a saying that the higher the dimension the faster time goes.I believe it was Stephen hawking who came up with that conclusion.

I like to look at it like this,Different beings flow on different levels of time...like for example cats only live 12 years cause they function and obey the 2nd dimensional rules,same for humans but we run on a third dimensional frequency or vibration.

So that can only mean one thing,the higher the frequency the longer you live.

If you were to comare our life expectancy to lets say god it would probably be along the lines of mold or mushie's(same thing)

On another note I think the earth's frequency is around 12.2,used to be lower,why is it rising:confused:

7. :) Dude. I have no idea where you get your stuff, but you never fail to make me laugh with the things you post. I'm not flaming you, seriously. There's hardly one word of fact in what you say in the last two messages, but you tell it all so creatively that I can't help enjoying the ride.

Do go on:)

MelT

8. thanks for the replies . . .

I would like to get into what ppl think about this theory, as it blows away conventional physics.

Richard Greene is the leading physicist in the field, I BELIEVE.

Pastings from wiki are cool but Id really like to hear ppls original thoughts on this subject, as I find it hard to get my mind around but very interesting.

Feel free to open up your minds and converse, obviously no ones gonna know a lot about this topic, and its fine not to ALWAYS KNOW - maybe we can come to a better understanding through conversation if anyone else is interested??

I hear something about 11 dimensions?????? Imagine the Kind they're growing on the 11th, man!!!!!

9. Not sure what u mean man. 12.2 Hz??? thats DAMN slow man lol Please elaborate :D

10. Not to mention the fact that wikipedia's information isn't always accurate. :D

11. I can't break the string theory into stoner terms but the film "Elegant Universe", explains it really well.

12. About the vibrating strings, do strings actually travel? Or do they change resonant frequency like the way pixels would change color? Maybe the Big Bang was someone turning the TV on.

13. Ahhhh....the best kind of BS - that with a grain of truth in it. Once you get past the intro and into the supposed repercussions of 'zero point' and its effects things rapidly deteriorate and it becomes just another sell for the book it's promoting. Some of the statements he makes are so ridiculous it's worth a visit to the site just to read them. The age of light...LOL.....and I can't believe that any modern writer is quoting the Philadelphia Experiment and expecting to be taken seriously.

Sorry, I couldn't format the numbered list below properly so there's no number 1. The repercussions will be (6 and 8 are my favourites:) :
    1. <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 11px">Time will appear to speed up as we approach Zero Point. A 24 hour day will seem to about 16 hours or less. Remember the Schumann Resonance (or "heart beat" of Mother Earth) has been 7.8 cycles for thousands of years, but has been rising since 1980. It is at about 12 cycles at present. It stops at 13 cycles. <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 11px">Zero Point or the Shift of the Ages has been predicted by ancient peoples for thousands of years. There have been many shifts including the one that always occurs every 13,000 years at each half of the 26,000 year, Procession of the Equinox. <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 11px">Zero Point or a flip of the magnetic poles will probably happen soon, within the next few years. It could possibly synchronize with the Earth's four cycle biorhythm that occurs every 20 years on the 12th of August. The last occurrence was 12th August 2003. The Philadelphia Experiment and Montauk Project (secret military time traveling) both locked up to the 12th August/20 year biorhythm. <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 11px">It is said that after Zero Point the Sun will rise in the west and set in the east, approx. Past occurrences of this change have been found in ancient records. <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 11px">The Zero Point flip will probably introduce us to the 4th dimension. Here, everything we think or desire will instantly manifest. This includes love and fear. Our INTENTION will be of utmost importance. <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 11px">Most technology that we know will cease to operate. Possible exceptions could be technology based on so called "Zero Point" or free energy. <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 11px">Our physical body is changing as we approach Zero Point. Our DNA is being "upgraded" to 12 strand. A new light body is being created. We are becoming more intuitive.
    2. The Mayan Calendar predicted all the changes that are occurring now. They say we are going beyond technology and back to the natural cycles of nature and the Universe. By 2012 we will have entered the 5th Dimension (after the flip to the 4th Dimension at Zero Point).
    All this information is not fearful. Be prepared for changes that will bring in the new age of light. We are going beyond money and time where fear based concepts are totally dissolved.
    Gregg Braden's new book, The God Code: The Secret of Our Past, the Promise of Our Future
    END QUOTE

And therrrrrrrrrre's the sell. Braden should be ashamed.

MelT

14. Okay I'm gonna now break string theory down into simple terms. No more copy and paste, i'm seriously gonna try and simplify it.

It's a model of theoretical physics first developed in the eighties. It proposes that all matter is composed not of single zero dimentional points in space, i.e: single points of space... but that matter is composed at its most basic level of one dimentional strings. These strings can take the form of loops in closed strings and extended lengths in open strings.

What this is suggesting is that if we looked incredibly closely at an electron, we'd see what actually appears to be a splodge point is actually a tiny little hoop... the hoops are near the size of the planck length... which is 10^35 metres... which is very small.

The loops themselves are all similar, but then what makes the fundamental particles as we see them different? What is different between an electron, an up quark, a tau anti-neutrino, a photon? The answer is that the string is vibrating differently... with a different frequency. It's analogous therefore that all the constituent parts of the matter of the universe are like different notes on a guitar.

What causes the vibration... well here's the kinda interesting part... the suggestion is that there are extra spatial dimensions, but the ones outside the three that we recognise are curved in on themselves. It's a hard thing to visualise, but imagine a piece of rope stretched out across a valley. Any point on that rope can be given through one value, and that is distance from one end. It is therefore one dimensional... but then as we look closer, we see that the rope is a cylinder, and therefore has many points around the circumferance... infact for every point along the length of the rope there is 360 degrees of more dimension around it.

Ok so we've discovered a new dimension all curled up in a real small space... string theory says there's between 8 to 25 depending on the particular theory all packed up into a certain way... specifically a calabi-yau manifold... search it on google images for an idea. It was originally purely a mathematical concept. Anyway the precise nature of the multi-dimensional space that exists only to the size of the strings and causes their vibration accounts for all the specific constants of the universe, from the mass of an electron to the strength of the weak nuclear force.

ATM technology is not so, that we may investigate with physical experiment these theories... and so they remain untestable and fully in the realm of theoretical physics. String theory has pervaded the popularar somewhat, and this is likely due to the mention of extra-dimentionality.

15. I've learned some basic qualitative information about string theory through Brian Greene's Elegant Universe.

I think having the mathematical background would help a lot, but I'm not too sure what advanced math is needed. I know general relativity uses tensor notation, electrodynamics uses vector calculus, quantum mechanics uses perturbation theory and probability. Anyone know what kind of math you need for string theory?

16. It is the theory of EVERYTHING.

17. No wonder the theory concept got a bad rep, when even scientists can't keep their shit on the straight and narrow. It's String Hypothesis FFS!

When (if?) evidence start trickling in, they might ponder to change the designation, but until then it is all conjecture based on the premise that if something makes mathematical sense it is also probable that the model is in use by nature somewhere in some shape or form or another.

Which by and large have been proven true thus far. But the keyword here is proven. Relativity was just a neat mathematical model designed to confuse physics students until it was proven and later confirmed through several different avenues. Same story with Quantum Mechanics.

Todays physics students get relativity. No big deal. So naturally some too-smart-for-their-own-teeny-brains numbers geeks had to invent a new confusiator, thus string-hypothesis was born.

And some wonder why so many college and university students hit the bong?

:D

18. or is trying to be.... :D