Stretching during flowering - how much is OK?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by stankonia, Mar 8, 2016.

1. #1 stankonia, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    I am 2 weeks into the flowering cycle and find my 4 plants with their top leaves stretching up vertically - the CFL bulbs are literally an inch and a half away from the top of the plant. One of the leaves actually touched a CFL when I got home and was badly burnt. I have raised the CFL hood a good 3 inches away from the tops to prevent that from happening.

Is this kind of stretching normal and OK? I find myself pushing down on the top branches (gently) to "train" the leaves from stretching too close to the bulbs.

Related question...I have kept a strict 12/12 cycle but one day I forgot about turning the lights off and it ended up getting 15 hours of light and 9 of dark. Would this be enough to send he plants back to flowering or hermie territory? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. What strain(s)? Did you switch to flower nutes?
    The short answer is yes to stretching. I'm 4 weeks in to flowering and still have to raise my lights occasionally though not as often as earlier.
    As far as the lighting issue? You're most likely fine. Hopefully they'll mistake it for a full moon. ;)

Be kind. Perfect your craft. Give more than you take. We are family.

3. #3 stankonia, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Thanks mook - I have three white thunder (skunk + afghan) and one Bubba's Gift (bubba kush + god's gift). All are feminized. I know this is blasphemous, but I'm using miracle gro nutes and giving them 25 to 50% of the suggested dose. I'm preparing to do a full flush at the end of flowering. It's my first grow, is diluted miracle gro a disastrous idea for flowering?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blasphemy! Lol. I wouldn't say disastrous. Only that there are nute systems specifically designed for herb and you should switch to them at some point. Also, the nute ratios change as the plant goes theough different life stages. My first grow I used miracle grow tomato nutes and they worked alright. But since switching to the real deal my plant health, output, and potency all improved dramatically.
    Keep us posted on the progress!

Be kind. Perfect your craft. Give more than you take. We are family.

5. That's what I'm using tomato nutes did you use that through the whole grow the npk says 5-5-5 so I figured it wouldn't be too bad also how did you "dilute" the salt like fert?