Strawberries

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by GroBuddy, May 31, 2022.

1. Just sharing for anyone that doesn't know this about store bought strawberries. I had some big sweet ones from the store which are rare. So I cut the skins off and let that dry in the sun for a couple days then planted. 3wks later finally we have life. I had also made some blueberry wine. Once I poured juice and fruit into bucket and cheese cloth I noticed a bunch of seeds so I did the same dried and planted. They haven't sprouted yet but are also earlier in germination, well see. They'll be potted. My wife loves strawberry wine I blueberry. We're city dwellers for now it would be cool to make wine with fruit I've grown. Any potted strawberry or blueberry advise is welcome.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I do know not expect fruits this year. I've learned I need to root runners. Going to be using amendments for acid loving plants pertaining to the blueberries. That's basically where I'm at I've grown other potted fruits and vegetables. Growing 2 peach trees from seed. Figure it's all similar. As long as with like the blueberries cater to acidic soil

• Like Like x 1
  3. Plant the strawberry plant in the ground and next year you can have strawberries again. The year after that you might have 12 billion new strawberry plants. At least the ones we have spread like wildfire.

• Like Like x 2
  4. That's my back yard nothing but rocks, desert climate I'd have to mix amendments and good dirt just to use alot of lime in this area. Plus I dont plan on living in new mexico forever. I'm from Tennessee been here 4 years already looking to move back or around there. Appreciate that information

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. I know of a piece of property about 20 miles from me that was once a thriving farm.
    One of the ways they generated money was growing strawberries I used to purchase strawberries from them . Sometime back the property was sold and everything on the property was demolished . I got curious one day and decided to take a walk on the property. It was obvious that no one had been on the property for years . I was quite shocked when I walked into what was once one of their strawberry fields only to find the place full of strawberry's the land hadn't been tended for almost a decade . So once the strawberries are established they do come back year after year and they still tasted great . I've gone back multiple times and picked 5 gallon buckets of strawberries that I've used to make wine , strawberry shine and one of my favorite things homemade strawberry ice cream .

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Haha that's awesome brother, I appreciate that story.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Strawberries also love molasses and fish emulsion!
    I love berries! Went to school for their production.
    Best of luck on your journey with growing them.
    Another plant which doesn't really want to get its crown wet.
    What's your plan for getting them chill hours, if I remember correctly its a big part of how they commercially get them to produce early is by translocation of them from high cold mountains to warmer areas to get the best blooms.
    So are they destined for outside? Are you gonna make a strawberry patch?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Strawberry fields forever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. #9 GroBuddy, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    They are outside, I dont live in a location that wouldn't allow for fields. I'm probably the only person here in alamogordo trying to grow strawberries in the desert. Growing them for wine, small batches. Also I dont plan on living here forever it was always temporary I'm from tn and will be going back somewhere around that area. I have 2 peach trees the strawberries and I'd like to continue to go ahead and get things started that I can in pots so when I do move back they'll be ready for a permanent in ground home.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I’ve been researching strawberries for an indoor grow in an EarthBox. I’ve read that the hybrid berry seeds are not true to the parent plant, and may not even germinate. Keep us posted on your progress!

My plan is to buy live starts (var Seascape) when they become available either mail order or locally and start them in the basement Earthbox. I’ve never grown strawberries before but a I think they will do well indoors. We’re gonna find out.

11. #11 GroBuddy, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    Their doing fine, now. They stopped growing and started dying. I figured it was the soil since it was used and I didn't add anything to it. But I had been just watering from the bottom like I have all plants, and had waterlogged the roots. They've been transplanted for a couple weeks and have started growing again.

8/16 - still improving, looking better
    8/25

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Regarding the blueberries, they require a cold stratification period of up to 3 months to germinate. I just froze about a half quart of reject wild blueberries from this season for this purpose.

Most varieties also prefer a slightly acidic soil.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. #13 GroBuddy, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    That would be why they didn't sprout then, I've done that method with the peach seeds so I'll try that next time. Appreciate it

I see why people buy started plants/trees now lmao but man I like sprouting and giving life watching it grow mature and provide.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lemon seeds did well sowed directly into soil. Only took like a week maybe almost 2 to sprout. Useless information

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. I assume these are runners?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. @GroBuddy very nice, I'm envious.
    Clip em unless you want more plants.
    My starts still haven't shipped, too hot.
    Thes are your AUG 6 transplants?
    Did you change your soil?
    THats a nice looking planter too.

17. Yea same bunch. Nah just using old soil. Should just buy some strawberries do like I did if you dont waterlog them like I did youd catch me in no time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. #18 Digger, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    Digga's first patch with 12 plants & 3 varieties in sandy loam,
    IMG_20220905_063916.jpg

Wasn't sure how to care for them just winging it, got way to overcrowded because i let all the runners take root.
    IMG_20220905_064117.jpg

So we dont need to winterize here because there's not many frost days, well not with climate change now. Just pruned there crowns back and the runners, pulled out everything except for the 4 edges & the original 12 plants.

Also took out all that sugercane mulch, with La Niña here it stayed to wet and any fruit sitting on it for to long rotted.
    IMG_20220905_064339.jpg

And this is the start of this spring:metal:...
    IMG_20220908_044627.jpg
    IMG_20220908_075916.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Which variety is your favorite?

20. Doh that's a tricky question, i mixed them up when i planted them and i can't remember what's what in there:bolt:...

• Funny Funny x 1