Strange Yellowing On Leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Ancient3328, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Hey guys, so long story short I grow completely organically, mix my own soil, etc. I normally switch out my genetics every two runs or so due to curiosity and I love to experiment with new varieties. This is the second time I am running this batch of genetics (this time from clone) and the only one giving me trouble is the two DNA Snowcaps I have going (both are from the same mother).

What's happening is that the leaves on the top part of the plant are beginning to yellow from the outside in, as well as the tips. Along with this, I've noticed some curving in of the leaves (think of the shape of a taco). The lower leaves are staying completely normal which is what is leading me to confusion. The PH of my runoff is 6.9 which doesn't alarm me for vegetative organic plants. Not to mention that as stated before, these two are the only ones having this problem.

I water my plants normally every four or five days, and am currently giving them 12 cups at a time in 3 and a half gallon superroots air pots. The main thing I changed in my soil this time around was the humus component. Before I was using Ancient Forest, however, now I am using a mixture of Coast of Maine's lobster compost and cow manure compost. I am just mentioning this because this is the only noticeable change I have made since the last batch of Snowcap I grew and honestly, my other plants seem to be LOVING this change all around so I highly doubt it is a contributing factor. I will gladly list my whole soil recipe if you guys happen to think it is a soil issue.

I also treat my plants with SNS 209 and aloe each time I water and also use silica in conjunction with them when I brew teas (once a week). I also use Quantum Apocalypse as a further bug prevention tactic and normally spray once every 6 days.

The pictures included will show both plants, and show also how the lower growth differs. I also threw in a picture of my Orient Express which is directly next to the two Snowcaps, yet does not appear to have the same condition.

Thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. Any thoughts guys? I really want to get this figured out as soon as possible so I can put these girls in flower, thanks!

3. Looks like a calcium issue to me. I think your meter might be off, not that ph matters much in organic gardening at all and yet they look to be burning. Notice the leaf tips, classic sign. I wonder if the silica is having any impact as its a chemical nute.

If it was me id mix my next watering with dolomite lime and see if it doesnt correct your issue.

What's the heat like in that room?

4. Thank you very much for the tip! I just replaced my meter recently, however, I am willing to admit that it could be off as it's only an Oakton PH meter...don't really use it much so I never could stomach the cash for the Bluelab one haha.

Forgive me for the somewhat dumb question, but how would I go about watering with the lime? Just mix it into the water? And also, how much per gallon?

The heat can get up to 88-90 in the room on occasion but usually stays around 85 which I admit is definitely not ideal, however, it's a basement and the best I can get it with the situation. The place usually heats up a lot by August so that could definitely be a contributing factor.

Thanks again and if you have any more suggestions I am all ears!

5. Get dolomite lime or pulverized if you can't find dolomite. I eyeball it when I did it. Around a 1/2- 1 cup for a gallon of water for my 15 gallon containers. Ppls amounts differ, just don't add a massive amount. Put lime in water jug first then add water and shake like hell. Pour about half of it then shake the remaining well. You may wanna take a pencil or your finger and poke small holes in the dirt and kind of loosen top layer of soil without damaging roots. This helps the lime get into soil quicker. I used lime a week ago for ph probs that are causing me to have a cal mag def. Lime is slow working so I'm still waiting on results. That's how I use it, cruise the web and you'll find what your lookin for about lime.

6. Awesome man thank you for the tip! Question though...since dolomite lime takes time to break down could I use calcium carbonate instead? My understanding is that it is available almost immediately (at least when adding it to soil). Didn't know if that may help solve the issue quicker, thanks again!

7. I'm having the same issues as you are and wondered the same thing. I've added lime to mine but still need the ph to come up sooner than what it is. I'm gonna read more on it. Tell ya what I find.

8. Well, I just gave them their first dose of "medicine" lol hopefully I will be able to see changes within the week. I mixed roughly 1/2-3/4 cup of lime per gallon of water and watered them their normal 12 cups. Do you guys think I should do this on the other three plants as well? I know they're not showing signs of the same problem now but I figure it can't hurt to possibly take care of the same problem on them before it begins...let me know, thanks!

9. It can't hurt them.

10. #11 Andre Boudreau, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
    Are these plants sick ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409595480.701835.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409595500.637245.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409595522.358961.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409595565.892955.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409595594.225891.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409595646.979475.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409595683.472306.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409595718.292262.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409595740.089826.jpg or just getting good ?

There might be females, she-males,males in those, i am confused ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409596073.764593.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409596105.796937.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409596141.333728.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409596336.383468.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409596352.264774.jpg

11. Most of the big buds look great. The smaller one that looks purple may be a def. I've got it on mine and it's and def. gotta look at the chart to rem. anyway the rest of the buds look great from the pics. They are just getting good. Look better than mine by far.

12. So two days later and not much change yet, not that I expected it this early. Does anyone know what may have done this? I'm trying to think back to when I mixed my soil this last time and I'm not sure if I forgot to add adequate lime or if I forgot to water the soil enough when it was mixed or what but this is definitely something wrong in my soil. Basically what I'm asking is, since it is a PH problem, is it reasonable to think my liming agents were to blame in some way?Like they weren't put in long enough, etc?  Or could it of been something as simple as not adequately watering my mixed soil? I know I have plenty of castings in their as I know those help with PH as well.

13. Lime will buffer the soil at 7ph. So it was prolly lack of lime in the beginning. Your plants look good in the above pics. I'd like to see the yellowing to see if it's natural looking or a def. this time of yr they do turn yellow during flower using nutes from itself. So I'd like to see the yellowing pics cause I have it goin on and mine is a lockout due to ph.

14. Man 85-90 is hot af . It supoose to be in 70-80

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. It's been 80-90 here with rain for two weeks or more and really high humidity. I've had to cut nug after nug from rot due to this damn weather.

16. Damn . Try growing indoor wit some cfls thattll make up for the nugs cut from rot . And its cheeaap af

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Thanks for the tips guys! I definitely think it's a ph problem as it is slowly spreading into my other strains but in a very distinct way, which to me screams ph problems. It could be a lockout on calcium stemming from the ph problem, in that case, is there anything else I can do? And roughly how long until I should see strong results from the lime?

18. Beleive me if I could I would. My situation at the moment won't allow me to get that going. Rather cut a 1/2 g nug now than a 2-3 g nug later. I have to stay vigilant.

19. You can flush if you decide to. The lime should start working within a week or so. And that's a rough estimate. It helped most of mine but I have one cheese plant that just keeps getting worse. Can't seem to get my ph up high enough.