Strange strain, help with ID + additional questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by StaffOfPower, Dec 6, 2013.

1. #1 StaffOfPower, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
    So, some seeds were gathered from a bag of Blue Dream (Definite thats what it was) and grown.  Deep green leaves, not quite olive green, more on the spring-green side, yet wide leaflets like Indica.

Here's what's weird:  It's about 5-6 inches tall, 6 leaf pairs.  However, the side branches are already starting to grow like crazy.  Very very compact plant.  

Question 1 is, is this normal???  Other plants I've seen seem to produce side branches considerably later on.  Could it be that these plants somehow have Ruderalis genes in them...? If so, would that mean they are positively fem, even though they came from a bag?

And lastly, would it be advisable to do LST on these plants since the side branches are already growing, or not?

Oh yeah, and if the answer is yes about LST'ing them regardless, what is the best method for doing so with a more mature plant where the main stem has already started to harden a bit?

2. Gonna need a pic bud...

3. no ones gonna be able to id the strain. its weed brah, grow it and smoke it.

4. not concerned about the specific strain.  I know better than that.

Working on a photo.  Primary camera is my iPhone, so no good, otherwise I wouldve added one in the first post.

So... Just answer this for now:  Is it normal for "regular" (Non autoflowering) plants to start producing side branches that early on in its life cycle...?  Like I said, 12 leaves, 4** inches tall, MAYBE a month since germination, if that.

Would/should a "Regular" plant have branches at that point...?

Just wanna know if it may have Ruderalis / Autoflowering genes in it because of that, or if its probably regular.

And the other question:  for now, just tell me:  Is there any benefit to LST'ing autoflowering plants, or not?  Was originally just going to do it for better light distribution (Before deciding to switch to MH/HPS) But have also heard it can increase yield / quality of yield too.  

5. Autoflowers are better left alone. I'm doubtful it's an auto strain though. Some strains start branching off early by themselves. How is it only 4 inches tall a month after germination. It should be pretty good sized by now. Also iphones take great pictures you just need to know how to use it. I took this with an iphone. You can zoom in and see individual trichs.
    image.jpg

6. First of all, like I said, that's an estimate on time. Still, I'll admit, it may be because of the sub-par lighting system that is still in place (not for long though...) the leaves look extremely healthy, as do the stems and roots, it's just growing slowly. Veg time will be increased to compensate.

As for photos, I know very well that iPhones take good photos. Not a question of quality as much as one of security...

Anyway, what's the verdict on LST'ing?

Should it be done? If so, how should the older plant be tied...? Gradually perhaps?

7. Dude you sound so noob. And you cant really lst if your plant is a whole 4 inches. Theres nothing to lst. Sounds like you should be worried about why its only four inches. Even my worse cfl grows were a foot by four months

8. Or maybe im just notnreally getting what your situation is

9. [quote name="StaffOfPower" post="19114710" timestamp="1386371634"]First of all, like I said, that's an estimate on time. Still, I'll admit, it may be because of the sub-par lighting system that is still in place (not for long though...) the leaves look extremely healthy, as do the stems and roots, it's just growing slowly. Veg time will be increased to compensate.As for photos, I know very well that iPhones take good photos. Not a question of quality as much as one of security...Anyway, what's the verdict on LST'ing?Should it be done? If so, how should the older plant be tied...? Gradually perhaps?[/quote]Turn off location services on your iPhone and take a pic. Any answers until you do that are pure speculation.

10. Photo coming up shortly, to those of you who are actually here to help...

11. Here it is

BTW:  Transplanted today.  Thats why she looks so tiny in that pot.

Attached Files:

12. Huh thats a weird one. It looks like it formed a knot right at the cotyledons. Did it get damaged or something when it was young? Maybe your fan was too strong. It's to young for any training right now you need to wait until you have about 5 nodes.

13. Location services off will make it secure. Go to settings and it's under privacy. You can just turn off photos if you want.

14. No damage at all as far as I know.  Its REALLY fat at all the fan leaves.

And I did some more thinking/checking, and its way closer to 2 weeks old.

15. And no fan was used, theyve each been under a 26W CFL til now.

About waiting to LST, wouldnt the stem only continue to harden...?  Or will it actually become more pliable as it matures more?

16. It hardens as it matures. I went to supercrop mine the other day and i stead of bending they broke. They form knots and make the branch stronger so it's no big deal. You need to get an oscillating fan on it or you will have a weak lanky plant. You need more light too.

17. What do you mean it's no big deal??? If the stem beaks??

As for light, yes I know. 600W HID MH/HPS setup running very soon.

18. It looks good. Def. Needs more light and it does look like it couldve been damaged. You couldve even pinched it while transplanting or moving it? 2wks is a better age. But under a single cfl after a month it would still look small just more stretched. My blue dream blades look so much different than yours. I want to see the end product to compare so good luck with your grow and hopefully you get that lighting soon. Have you thought of what nutes youll be using yet?

19. Oh and sorry i came off a little rude with my first comment. I felt like i was reading in circles and just had a lighting issue came here for some answers and was worked up by the time i saw your post.

20. #20 SupaaBaked, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    It's no big deal if the stem breaks. I mean exactly what i said lol. If it snaps off thats a big deal, to me anyway. If it's just broken at a 90 degree angle you know if the plant tissue inside breaks but the outer stem says intact. It will form a knot where it broke and usually a budsite will come out of the knot. It also makes the branch stronger after it repairs itself. With younger plants you have to be careful since it's easy to snap branches off you can't just go in there bending. Theres an art to it.