Strange Leaf Curl and Yellowing

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by mushkan, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Hello GC,

My sweet friend is having troubles with her garden and has again asked me to post some pics with requests for help. She has a Hydro Ebb and Flo set up, 50 gal heated res with airstone. 350ppm and 5.8 ph. Lighting is 1-1000W hps and 1-1000W mh, dayton blower and circulating fan. They get fed twice a light cycle, 2 minutes to fill table and 6 to drain. Table is flooded for a total of 7 minutes. Food is Rockwool formula 1 A&B. THanks GC!

Frag Out!

Attached Files:

2. Wow 50 Veiws! No advice GC? She really needs some advice here.

Frag Out!

3. The leaf curl could be a result of the circulating fan being too strong. It needs to circulate the air, slow enough to not cause the leaves to dry out. With 2 1000w lamps, I would be concerned about heat. the temperature gauge looks O.K, but is it reading the tops of the plants? You need to know the temps at the canopy of your plants. With two 100w's I would grow more small plants (Sea Of Green method). PH and R.H looks good.
    Yellowing of leaves could mean a lot of things, but sometimes the simplest check could be the cause. The simplest cause of yellowing of leaves is nitrogen deficiency. What kind of nutes are you using, and how long does the ebb and flow last in the fill position.

4. Looks like a zinc def to me.

5. You need to bump up the nitrogen, 350 something ppm, is way low, you should be between 800-1000ppm I recommend you check out the MEGA FARM drip system.

6. I am confused by this. I thought during flowering they did not need that much nitrogen. For example the Fox Farms schedule for soil drops Grow Big in the fifth week of flowering, and only recommends a small amount for weeks 3 and 4. I had the same problem this guy is having and flushed to resolve the problem. It took about a week but the problem cleared up after flushing with 3x or more of water, and once it dried resuming the feeding schedule. But am I wrong about them not needing much N during flowering?

7. Nah I believe it's common during the end of a flowering plants life cycle that it cuts off foliage production and stops using N which means yellow leaves...I think FoxFarms uses the grow and bloom in both stages so one can act as a leacher and unlock unwanted salt bonds in soil not necessarily feeding them that nutrient but it does get used...never used Foxfarms hydro tho...

8. \
    Here is the feeding schedule according to Fox Farms:

Cuttings & Seeds- 2tbl BB
    Week Light
    18hrs
    1- 2 tbl BB
    2- 2 tsp GB & 2 tbl BB
    3- 3 tsp GB & 2 tbl BB
    4- 3 tsp GB & 1/4-1/2 tsp OS
    12hrs
    5- 2 tsp TB, 1 tbl BB & 1/4-1/2 tsp OS
    6- 2 tsp TB, 1 tbl BB & 1/4-1/2 tsp OS
    7- 2 tsp GB, 2 tsp TB, 1tbl BB & 1/4-1/2 tsp BBZ
    8- 2 tsp GB, 2 tsp TB, 1tbl BB & 1/4-1/2 tsp BBZ
    9- 2 tsp TB, 1 tbl BB, & 1/4-1/2 tsp CC
    10- 2 tsp TB, 1 tbl BB, & 1/4-1/2 tsp CC
    11- 2 tsp TB, 1 tbl BB, & 1/4-1/2 tsp CC
    12- 2 tsp TB, 1 tbl BB, & 1/4-1/2 tsp CC

After four weeks of flowering they say to stop using Grow Big. They only suggest adding Grow Big during weeks 3 and 4

9. Hey Everyone!

Thanks for all the great info, We have been absent from the forums. Just had great Harvest! Strange curl seemed to be something thats started durring veg, because it did not get worse and it didnt seem to affect anything. Ended up with 480 grams from 16 table and 2 dirt moms who were spent and then flowered out. Some really great looking purple buds that tasted like grape juice with a very euphoric body high. Some pics below...Be advised my friend (she) is very good at this and I am just the smuck flying above the radar. Getting up everyday is enough work for me.

Frag Out!!

Attached Files:

10. thats looks like some good dank buddy. good work:)

11. none of those things are your problem. those pots look tiny. your plants are root bound. when a plant gets gets all of the above problems. you need at least a 1 gal to 1 foot tall ratio.

12. Jason...

Those are rockwool cubes, and I have in the past grown some 5 foot NL#5xHZ, that yeilded a 1/4 lb dry per plant. I dont think its the pots but thanks.

Frag Out!