Strains, varieties and cultivar - whats the technical difference?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Noam Chongsky, Jan 3, 2013.

1. #1 Noam Chongsky, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
    You might see the words "strain" and "variety" being used interchangeably, but technically, there is a difference.

A variety can be grown from seed, but a strain is a varietal mutation that has been selected and propagated for an improved and/or unusual characteristic.

A cultivar is propagated vegetatively, usually by rooting stem cuttings, grafting and/or dividing and replanting pieces of root taken from the parent plant.

Please correct me if i'm wrong so i dont continue to make an ass of myself.

2. A cultivar does not have to be propogated vegetatively. From the nursery business side it is used to define a variety that has been created intentionally for selected properties (foliage,flower, fruit etc.) and maintianed through "cultivation".
    A strain doesn't have to be a mutation. It is a broader term used for a group with common charactertistics.
    Variety is used in nursery business synonymous with cultivar but in the wild it refers to the same species that show different characteristic (Ithink?)

All the same for what we do