Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Strains To Try For Beginner

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by NoobHillbilly, May 23, 2014.

1. Hi.  I'm a 49 year old who is just beginning to explore cannabis.  I've delayed because any form of drug convication would be devestating to my career.  I have a trip scheduled to Denver in September and the nerd in me wants to plan ahead. 

I hope to sample several strains during my stay.  I have a couple of questions that I'd like to explore with you more experienced folks:

I've seen some places that sell joints of the strain of your choice.  Can someone recommend a store that is handy to the convention-center area?

Would you recommend a pipe or joint for my first experience?  [Cost isn't an issue.]

I'm seeking a relaxing and contemplative "high."  I have some questions I want to explore with the aid of cannabis.  Can you recommend what strains would be good for me?  Reading the reviews here and other places, it looks like Girl Scout Cookies might be a good choice.  What do you think?

I'm going to be attending a conference.  From about 4:30 PM on is my time, but I'll be expected to be sharp by 8:30 AM.  Can someone please give me advice on guidelines I should set to make sure I'm alert and ready to go for the business part?

I've never really been high, and I'm looking forward to the experience.  I promise I'm not trolling, and I promise I have a sincere interest in this.  I would appreciate any guidance and advice you more seasoned folks can give.  Thank you in advance. 

2. Most strains are fine, just try to to go for things like "Gorilla Kush" that is some heavy stuff. But why not try to smoke from both and see which one you prefer? There is no bad strain.

I personally for beginners I would recommend getting a GLASS pipe for your first piece. It's much easier then rolling a joint or blunt.

3. I agree with above poster in his saying that no strain is bad, but take it easy if it's sativa dominant. Also, cannabis does have a high - you'll feel sensations you'll like esp. If it's indica dominant.

Erowid reports with stars beside them can describe the feelings and I recommend "the experience" if you want to get super high and "scientifically documented report" for description of very high.

Get a glass pipe, take comfortable hits, and keep some water beside you for coughing and cottonmouth. A mistake beginners sometimes make is smoking when they haven't eaten for a long time, causing a bad reaction because of low blood sugar. Don't do this.

Have fun, bro.

4. #4 Deleted member 424398, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    Try these:

Blue Cheese (mellow, very psychedelic, euphoric)
    Cheese (mellow n focused)
    White Widow (alert and shaky)
    Berry White (mellow and focused)
    Snowcap (hd vision! Psychedelic amd mellow yet uplifting amd focuses)
    Gods Gift (mellow, euphoric)
    Blue Dream (pain relief, euphoric, uplifting)
    Afghani (stonage! Couch lock, mellow)
    La Confidential (euphoric, couch lock, uplifitng, euphoric)
    Black Diesel (mellow)
    NYC Sour Diesel (uplifitng, paim relief)

My favorites from those are Blue Cheese, Snowcap, and LA Con

5. Use a glass pipe!
    Buy a nice sturdy one for 20 - 40 dollars at a head shop
    Itll last years

GSC is alright... Personally dont like it much.

Also, buy a wax pen and try some waxes! Build one for around 60$s or less! Gentlemens bramd v2 attys and a ego twist or itaste 510 battery
    All you need

6. #6 magoo657, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
    I meant not to try "Gorillia Kush".

Untill you are used to being high, then I would recommend a higher THC content strain.

7. #7 BugPoop, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
    You do realize that even if you go to a legal state and smoke, when you come back and (if you) get a drug test, you'll lose your job still

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. Glass pipe...note weed is stronger now a days. Take a hit and sit. Work with your tolerance

Sent from my EVO using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Take it easy your first time! You don't want to get to high and start freaking out.

I say buy a prerolled joint and smoke half. Wait a couple minutes see how you feel and decide if you wanna get higher.

If you ever smoked before, then go nuts when your there lol. I've always wanted to try blue dream

10. Thank you for clearing that up.  I wasn't sure. It was kind of like the Saturday Night Live skit "you can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor."  Sounds like good advice.  I looked it up and it sounds like I should stay away from the Sativa strains.  

Can you recommend a specific one that's relaxing and gives a contemplative high? 

11. That sounds like very good advice; half and then see how I feel. The first time I drank alcohol, at 19, it was vodka and I was thinking "I don't feel anything."  The next thing I know....  

How long will it be before I feel the maximum effect? 

12. I'm now self-employed, so that isn't a problem.  Thanks for pointing that out, though.  

13. might wanna try the lower THC level shit i guess

14. #14 Brother Urb, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
    @[member="NoobHillbilly"] It's nice to hear as a 49 year old man you are diving head first into the wonderful world of cannabis.  I hope what I post will be of help to you.

If possible I HIGHLY urge you to try vaporizing as opposed to tradition combustion.  The high is much "cleaner" in my opinion and the flavors you will experience while vaporizing are unrivaled.  Quite frankly, SMOKE TASTES LIKE SHIT, no matter how tasty the strain might be, vapor will always taste better.  Not to mention it's much healthier. This might be a nice option if you have the plan to continue toking in the future.    Portable vaporizers aren't cheap though.  I would recommend looking into the Arizer Solo.  Magic Flight Launch Box is also another good option but might not be right for you since there is a lot of debate from the community as to it's learning curve and seeing that you are a newbie it might not be the best.  As you can tell I don't burn so I am biased.

A few things to consider.  Some strains of cannabis can actually have a racy effect which will prevent you from easily falling asleep for a few hours after ingesting..... at least for me.  You also mentioned you want to be sharp for the conference at 8:30 the next morning.  If highly medicated the night before I find it extra hard to get out of bed early.... but that could be just me.  Do you only have one night of smoking? 

I suggest looking for indica dominant strains since you are looking for a relaxing contemplative high.  You also might want to consider looking for something lower strength.  The shit is strong these days and over medicating can be quite the un enjoyable experience.  Wherever you are buying your herbs from I would simply tell them the same things you have told us.  Most likely they would be glad to help you find something right for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8FzGlgVGdo

15. Like the guy said above, blue cheese is a great indica to try. I'd also recommend smoking a joint first time as I find they are more of a slower creep compared to a big bong rip, not to mention more sociable.

16. Probably within 30 mins. If you doing feel it then, smoke a bit.

17. I would go for a sativa dom. strain as it will allow you to function better, you wont have that 'couch locked' feeling.  As for your conference, I would play it safe, but you could easily smoke all morning, stop at lunch and just get a little caffeine in your system and you should be fine. 

Smoking daily for 5+ years

18. If cost isn't an issue, get a volcano vaporizer....

Or a bong... or both.

19. Cannabis high is pretty much instantaneous. The high will build tho

20. #20 Rootsphere_Farms, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
    If you have never smoked, you are not going to get any of the medical benefits that come along with prolonged use. Your first few highs are going to be crazy and out of control. There isn't really any medical benefit to it until you get a tolerance, but everyone's first time is different. Mine was a trip.