Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

strains and moods

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by drawandpaint, Nov 18, 2009.

1. does anyone have experience with one strain of pot bringing them very negative introspection vs a different strain bringing them happiness?

I found a bag of pot at a grocery store once and smoked that [despite my better judgment] and it made me so happy and positive. Same with the pot I smoked when I was 14-15 years old. Great positive stuff. However, 99.9% of anything else I have ever tried has made me devastatingly introspective. I'm now 26 and have been smoking very seldom (few times a year) since I started at age 14. My life can almost get torn to depressing pieces from the degree of clarity and insight pot induces in tandem with horrific cynicism.

I don't have any strong underlying mental illnesses other than being kind of an insatiable person. IE easily bored, sometimes mildly depressed but can usually rebound within a day or two etc. Healthily argumentative, have a personality, opinions, likes dislikes yadda yada. Normal human being it seems. Have seen a psychiatrist off and on since I was young, which began mostly because it made my parents feel better, not me (I felt okay, just bored and typcally angsty like all teens get). Psychiatrist never implied any inherent disorder. Although! I've for sure had ADD most of my life, but I live with that just fine, unmedicated, and it's part of who I am.

So, I don't know. I almost feel as if the strains of pot are what can make me go north or south.

Anyone?

2. yeaa i feel you in that sense to me it's bottom line between Indicas or Sativa dominant strains
    I need Sativa dominat strains practically all the time because of how lazy i'll get if i smoke all Indica so i've leanred to grow my own bud

3. It's all before you smoke, man. Set everything up. Have the perfect environment, and have the best mindset. Tell yourself that it will be a good high, or a very good trip, you know? And smoke it with an open mind (i.e. go with the flow, really).

4. i know exactly how you feel man. im only 19 though but back in high school sometimes i smoked and everything would be great but other times i would like think about everything ive done and what people think of me and i just hated it.

when i first started smoking I noticed i could figure things out and they would actualy make sense. like for example i figured out that the reason i was kind of sketch around my parents was because i had to hide the fact that i smoked from them constantly. but once i got caught it was almost like weight off my shoulders.

anyways so i would begin to form a habit where alot of shit i thought of when i was high was the truth. and then whenever i smoked and became all self concious, i would think depressing thoughts and i would think they were true.

5. I totally get mood swings too. I had some stuff last week that had me so terribly bummed out I even called my doctor to talk about how depressed i was. but I was only depressed after I smoked. so handed that shit off to a friend.

6. i hate weed what brings the mood down (get it quite a bit used to it now)but when i try a sativa i have fun smoked some last night and had a intense high i coughed and leaned over to pick something up and i felt like my back was crumbling to pieces.(fun and sketchy weed) my dealer said its supremo or something (dont know if its a legit strain)

7. Thanks guys.

The point that you need to respect even the high of marijuana is very important. Some of us especially need to have the right "set and setting" even for pot. Some of us are very, very sensitive to our environments and can't just launch our consciousness over the treetops of wherever we may be. Still, though, I find that in the perfect set and setting my mind can turn very sour even when my mood has been very pleasant.

I didn't know about the sativa vs indica thing. I actually have been around a large legal grow operation and learned a lot of technical information about marijuana but somehow never realized there was such a dramatic difference between the different plants. Basically, all I had really heard was that one yields a lot and the other is a waste of time and grows too tall to be effective. I mean, to put it crudely.

A quick google search yielded "[COLOR=#003399][COLOR=#003399][COLOR=#003399][COLOR=#003399][COLOR=#003399][COLOR=#003399][COLOR=#003399][COLOR=#003399][FONT=arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Sativa gets you high - Indica gets you stoned[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]". Well, that's simple enough and it makes total sense.

I remember one time I was in this tree fort with my friend with whom I had started wandering off into the woods with in jr high. We had hollowed out the underside of some sort of massive tree that had been totally engulfed by blackberries. I live in the northwest; I'm not sure if you may be familiar with blackberries but they are a dense, woody vine with huge thorns and let to their own devices will consume anything - even entire homes (abandoned ones you will often see totally in-grown with blackberries). Well, we were laying on the dirt and lighting campfires in the daytime, and watching the rays trace the smoke through the perforated canopy of our "fort" which, by the way, had rooms and even a bathroom and a secret escape exit trail. Etc. Yes, to be a kid again. Anyhow, I am trailing. I remember after smoking, I would be running through those trails as fast as I could and leaping and flying off "jumps" and logs and everything was magic and nature was a knowing, illustrious emperor of a museum of the wildest things you'd ever seen - far wilder than contemporary constructs, computers, etc. Wen I got to laying on the dirt flour I saw the world as an upside down carousel of life that looked so much like google maps before that ever existed (circa 1999). Cartoon hallucinations and wild imaginary scenes when i held still. Ha, look at the obvious impression it had on me. The thing is, this was repeatable each time with this pot. When it was gone, though, I never again felt that magic. A lot of people tell me it sounds like I had acid, but if it were acid it would have lasted longer than two hours and would have been a lot more balls-to-the-wall tripping than this very sparse and loose "tripping".

Another time I smoked some pot and laid in the sun which felt more like an orgasm; like an opiate mixed with weed although I am pretty sure it wasn't because if I stopped focusing on it, it was not still an obvious condition as would be an opiate.

So I've had some cool pots and I know they can be so different. I want that back so bad. It gave me a bright optimism and not a cynical response to a world that pressures you with consumerism and destruction and disrespect for the natural world.

Could it just be my mind? I don't know. Because of the experience I had a year or two ago with the little baggy of grass I found at Trader Joe's by the chocolate covered sunflower seeds and ginger chews I feel as if maybe it's just the strain. . .

I apologize for the ramble but hey, that's what the net is so good for right? You don't gotta read nothin you don't wanna read! : ) : )

8. That pretty well hits the nail on the head. :D Why are we here? What happens after we die? Who am I really? The stark, pitiless nature of those unanswerable questions can be surprisingly intense when you're stoned. It's hard to completely describe in words but, yeah, it can be powerfully unpleasant. It's like all my answers and assumptions about life are these cars of meaning that come crashing straight into each other in a big fiery wreck. And I'm left sitting there thinking, "Gack...I'm stoned and not enjoying it that much." Y'know what the common thread has been for me during these episodes of existential angst? Sativa weed.

A little background: I'm a 47 year old man. I've been using medical weed here in LA for about the last year for pain. It's better than vicodin because it's non-addictive, has milder side effects and is actually a hell of a lot easier to get with less hassle and expense. I go to a great dispensary that has a wide variety of strains so I can pretty well tailor the effect I need. I smoked a bit when I was younger but not very much. Back then, I didn't know shit about different strains and so on. Weed was just weed. It got you stoned. Being able to try distinctive, expertly grown and cured varieties of weed has been very helpful in figuring out what works for me and what doesn't.

The general description of a sativa high versus an indica high is that sativas give a "head" high and indicas give you a "body" high. Of course, a lot depends on individual body chemistry and psychology. A couple of recommendations:

1 - Use indicas and hybrids instead of sativas. You might not have the luxury of selecting different types but, if you can, it's worth trying. A few of the indicas can just about end all thought completely and leave you feeling just bored and "impaired" but the good ones put a smile on your face and relax your body. The good hybrids tame the circular logic and dead end thinking but still give your brain a boost while giving some of the indica body effect.

2 - Try drinking a beer or a glass of red wine with your toking. For me, a glass or two of red wine with ANY kind of weed turns me into a big giggling happy stoner. Start slow, though, because some people get massively intoxicated combing weed and alcohol. Starting out with a single beer won't cause you any problems. By the way, for some reason red wine really has by far the best effect on me when combined with weed. Very positive with laughs and some beautiful, spiritual insights into things. Beer and hard liquor don't have as positive an effect on my mood.

3 - This is a big one: Watch your dosage! I think people often "overdose" in the sense that everybody likes to tear into a bag of weed like its a big bowl of pasta and just smoke the hell out of it. Smoke mass quantities. Backing off the amount can give you a more optimal dose and a more pleasant effect. Giving yourself the right dosage makes a big a difference. You smoke too much and it's usually pretty unpleasant.

Well, I guess that's all I got to say about dat. :smoke:

9. Since I don't smoke that much pot, and I haven't yet been able to try a pure (or close) sativa strain, i am not sure if my problem is the inherent thoughtfulness of heady Sativa varieties, or the depressive stoning qualities of Indica. Where I can agree everything you are saying makes very perfect sense, for me personally the issue might come down to whether the marijuana is energizing or calming. As someone who is naturally in an existential crisis of sorts without marijuana, perhaps the depressant properties of Indica can spin the direction of my thoughts to a depressed state, whereas the energized high of Sativa may push me to explore out, above, and beyond as opposed to down, inside, or at a grounded (social, human, subjective) level -- where we live; an arguably horrific smudge of consumption, waste, and disposable-everything-else. A place where spirituality is seen as not just weak, but desperation brought upon one by a lack of contemporary "success" (read: material things,money, and statuses designated by peer criteria). I used to smoke this weed that put my brain in a shotgun and blew it to high magic heaven, far away from the social constructs that permeate my life and give so many a sense of purpose (or a voucher that exempts them from asking the questions you opened your reply with). I want that. I like to think about why, when, where, meaningless, meaningful, whatever. I think I can accept that I will die too young, that I will never see everything I feel I need to see before death, that there may be nothing but vacancy beyond expiration. A contemporary phrase and an analogue we sometimes hear is "you never truly live until you are ready to lose it all". I like this phrase. The reason I like this phrase is because it's like James Dean from The Wild One just repeated what Siddhartha designated as the principle behind Dharma, however many thousand years ago. . . just in leather, and smelling like oil. Beautiful. That's just something I can wrap my head around, and it's so sexy to boot. I think that most people have experienced a moment or a few in their lives where this has become true down into the bones. It's easy for us to resign to the theory that in searching for the answers to our deepest questions we are confounding them by the limitations of asking specific questions; that the reason answers are hard to come by is because we have orphaned them with our language. However wise this may be, it is not part of the human condition. Answers do not seem, to me, to be the objective of the human condition -- nor questions -- but journeys: Our unique traverses through the topography of our subjective consciousnesses. Answers provide no more solution than do our assertions, arguments and transitions from perspective to perspective. What this leaves us with is seeing the leaves for the tree because we are nearsighted in this respect. It's the human condition to surround one's self with tribulation, and uncertainty. We have to walk the line between the world within which we were programmed, are living (our understanding), and where each of us personally becomes confused. For some of us, the problem/solution relationships are so easy and our cycles are rapid and reliably fulfilling. Others walk a lot further to the line of confusion; their perspectives being so far beyond our brain's ability to articulate problem/solution cycles which leaves them troubled for longer periods of time - and equally rewarded. I know the conventional wisdom is that deep or more troubled thinkers find a greater reward for their efforts but it seems to me as if complexity has the same potential for positive yield as the dumbest introspection from the dumbest people I know. Okay trailing off. I guess what I am setting up is that I don't mind being asked the really hard questions. The questions that bring us crashing to our knees. I just don't want to get high and be so down on myself in such a personal way. I think it might be the sedative effects of the Indica varieties.