Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Strain Review: Jack Herer (Haze Pheno)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by jd4083, Jun 27, 2011.

1. #1 jd4083, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
    For the record I'm not sure which breeder's Jack this pheno originated from...wish I did though :Banane40:

With no further adieu...

Please note that all numerical ratings in this review are based upon a standard ascending scale of 1 through 10.

Visual Appeal & Appearance

9 – Jack Herer is well-known for its excellent bag appeal, with a heavy frosting of trichomes, plethora of foxtails, and lovely pistils that are somewhere between a burnt-orange and brick red in color. This particular phenotype is from an F2 seed run and heavily favors the haze side of the cross, both in terms of appearance and effects. The knobby foxtails one expects with Jack Herer are present and very pronounced, and the flowers are at once tight and dense in terms of structure, while being fluffy enough to fill more volume than many typical strains, even other sativa-dominant crosses. As Jack Herer is a three-way cross of Skunk #1, Northern Lights #5, and a Haze (exactly which Haze is in the cross is up for debate), certain characteristics of each shine through in the final product. The color and appearance of the pistils screams NL#5, while the density of the buds can be attributed to both the NL as well as the Skunk. However, as mentioned, the Haze in the cross certain shines through above all of the rest in terms of its influence on the looks of this particular phenotype of the strain.

[​IMG]

The trichome color profile for the sample used in this review is as follows:

Clear [10%] Cloudy [85%] Amber [5%]
    This batch was taken at what is, in my opinion, the perfect time to harvest a sativa-dominant cross, and especially a haze-dominant phenotype of such a cross. Had the plant been left to ripen any longer the extremely cerebral, racy, and almost psychedelic effects of the Haze influence in the high would be overpowered by a much more narcotic effect that would lend itself to a sedative role as a “night cap medicine” more so than anything else.

Aroma and Flavor

The aromatic profile for the sample selected for this review is as follows:

Ammonia [2] Earthy [1] Licorice [ ] Peach [ ] Berry [0] Floral [0] Mango [1] Pepper [5] Blueberry [ ] Fruit [0] Meat [ ] Petroleum [0] Bubblegum [0] Grape [ ] Melon [ ] Pine [2] Cedar [4] Grapefruit [ ] Menthol [3] Pineapple [ ] Cherry [ ] Grass/Hay [ ] Mint [ ] Rotten [ ] Chocolate [ ] Hash [2] Mold [0] Skunk [2] Citrus [1] Iron/Rust [ ] Musk [3] Spice [5] Coconut [ ] Leather [2] Nutmeg [ ] Strawberry [0] Coffee [0] Lemon [ ] Orange [ ] Vanilla [ ]

Overall Aroma Rating: [9.5]

Jack Herer is a strain that is well known for its distinctive smell, a mixture of a “cheesey” and skunky odor (remember, the original UK “Exodus” Cheese clone is simply a Skunk #1 phenotype!) combined with the complex and hard to place smell of the Haze, which lends a spicy, slightly mentholated, incense-like note to the mix. This phenotype being a haze-dominant expression, it retains the “cheesey” quality but the pungent and difficult-to-describe aroma of the Haze used in the cross clearly dominates. Perhaps more so than anything else, a pungent black pepper is the smell/flavor that comes immediately to the mind of this reviewer. I'm a huge fan of Haze and Haze-dominant crosses and the smell of this particular phenotype is as close to my ideal aroma for herb that I have found to date.

The flavor profile for the selected sample is as follows:

Ammonia [ ] Earthy [7] Licorice [1] Peach [ ] Berry [2] Floral [2] Mango [ ] Pepper [6] Blueberry [ ] Fruit [0] Meat [ ] Petroleum [ ] Bubblegum [0] Grape [ ] Melon [ ] Pine [2] Cedar [ ] Grapefruit [ ] Menthol [3] Pineapple [ ] Cherry [ ] Grass/Hay [ ] Mint [ ] Rotten [ ] Chocolate [ ] Hash [2] Mold [ ] Skunk [ ] Citrus [2] Iron/Rust [ ] Musk [ ] Spice [5] Coconut [ ] Leather [4] Nutmeg [ ] Strawberry [ ] Coffee [1] Lemon [0] Orange [ ] Vanilla [1]

Overall Flavor Rating: [6.5]

While the aroma of this cross is top-notch as noted above, the flavor of this phenotype is unfortunately not quite as interesting or well-balanced as the smell and high. There is a heavy note of camphor, as with many hazes and haze crosses, with an odd flavor on the back end that I can only describe as “lemon if lemons were not sour” and an extremely heavy presence of the aforementioned black pepper note, which is unfortunately a bit overpowering in this regard.

With that said, the high for this phenotype is unmatched by anything else I have in my jars. Upon the first hit the user will notice a clear-headed and entirely cerebral high begin to envelop them, which gives way shortly to a very strong and “crisp” head stone with a touch of the trademark Skunk between-the-eyes buzz that some may confuse for a body high. The ceiling for this particular phenotype is not difficult to reach, if only because it has you constantly reaching back in the jar for more. However, short of that, there isn't much wrong with this at all; it is an extremely well-balanced, clear-headed, and intensely cerebral buzz that one may have a hard time forgetting after it's all gone. Take note that this is very powerful herb and puffing on too much at once will take you past the “clear-headed” level and well into the “non-functional lump on the couch” zone.

This has been a sneak peek of another strain review courtesy of Mike at The Cannaseur. Remember blades, you saw it here first!

2. Very nice review and picture, keep up the good work :)

3. Looks like our stuff is similar.. My guy called this Jack Rare
    [​IMG]

4. sure he didnt say jack herer haha and you didnt catch it^^^^, jack rare lol sounds like herer

5. I love Jack herer it's pretty trippy too I have some homegrown Jack herer right now straight from the grower so I get good prices.

6. :wave: thanks ya'll