Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Strain Hunters

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Berry, May 5, 2009.

1. Have any of you seen these videos by Green House Seed Co. I would love to do this kind of thing full time. Like go around the world collecting different landrace strains and bringing them back and selling the genetics to co-ops and seed companies.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsKOzrymxZE]YouTube - Strain Hunters - Part 1 - Green House Seed Co[/ame]

2. i want that job:smoke:

3. Yeah I just watched this the other day. I had no idea how dedicated Arjan and Franco are. It seems like Africa would be the perfect place to grow, just jungle all over the place and not many people to screw with you.

Theres definitely room in the seed market for a another knowledgeable breeder who can get out there in the world and find great little known strains, and bring out their best properties.

4. Most of my breeding efforts involve bringing back traits from the old landraces, like my current project to cross Oaxacan Sativa with Northern Lights #5.

It is a very gratifying hobby to say the least :smoking:

EDIT: Tropical rainforests are bad places to grow, which is why landraces from tropical regions come from mountainous areas where it's cooler and usually a bit drier.

5. Like I said, that would be a pretty cool idea for a seed company. One that just offers seeds from the different regions with landrace strains. I'm sure there would be a big market for them, for small time hobby breeders, to large seed distributors looking for old genetics to breed back into their proprietary strains. It would also be cool just to travel to all those different places and see huge fields of cannabis in its natural environment.

6. That's one of the reasons I travelled the world as a young man. I got to talk to native growers in some of the places where my favorite strains came from and I brought some good genetics back home with me. It's a pity it's so much harder to travel with seeds these days.

7. Where all have you traveled to OSG. I think searching for some native kush strains would be a cool trip.

8. Mostly Asia and the Middle East. I make some references to it in my story (see sig) but I would rather not get overly specific as to my movements and activities :)

9. #9 thegrassybowl, May 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
    If people spend millions to save and preserve animals that "won't even f*** to save their own species," I think it's important that the same is done for marijuana. Hybrid vigor is great, but so are the originals.

10. Trust me the landraces are not in danger. The reason they are hard to find for sale is economics. Today's Dutchified hybrids produce a lot more bud on smaller plants in less time. They really are NOT necessarily any more potent or better than the landraces; in fact I would submit that in many cases, especially autoflowering strains, the reverse is true. Still, for people who grow commercially more yield in less time = more $$$.