Strain Guide

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by XCrowX, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Let me start off by sayin that this forum is very helpful and popular. Once Overgrow closed down I kind of gave up on forums for awhile until I came across this one. It had a a very active and friendly community. As many people willing to give help as there are asking for it so I decided to join. I've recently suggested a section in the forum for "Strain Talk". Once a couple people pointed it out to me I noticed that the SeedBank section basically doubles as "Strain Talk". While a specific section may help I think I've got an idea of something that will help the GC community much more.
    Although this idea isn't my own, it was very popular with the Over Grow community. And those seeking unbiased reviews of strains have somewhere in specific to turn to, other than breeders reviews. This is just an example of what could be designed to suit the GC community but I think it should really be taken into consideration.

The Overgrow Marijuana Cannabis Strains Guide & Reviews A To Z,

Now keep in mind it's not as pretty looking as it once was because it was pulled from the site once it was shut down. But then again, it's just an example.

2. I definetly think this is an awesome idea....ive been tryin to look for a post that provided information on strains but none were avaivable on GC until now....

The thing that sucks about the Overgrow strain guide is that it doesnt have any up-to-date strains....my example is that im looking for information on:

• Barney's Farm LSD
    • Barney's Farm Violator Kush
    • DNA Genetics Kushberry
    • Reserva Privada Purple Wreck
    but these strains are too new so there is no info on them...Anyone have any experience with these strains...Smoke, taste, difficulty of grow, or any other info.

3. I hear you and that's my point exactly, with all the members of GC we could easily get up to date info on new strains within a few months. And after that, well, people from other forums would be coming here for that info. I don't have any info on those strains but hopefully in the new future we'll have that information only a few clicks away for everyone.

4. bumpity bump bump

5. Let me get with the Grow Mods and see what they think about it and we'll see what we can get started. :)

We had planned on a Strain Review forum but the guy I was talking to about it never replied back to me.

6. It's a great idea but it has the potential to be a mess. If considered, could I suggest a "report back" type set up with a format for posting.

set a sample and make it a sticky

Strain

-lighting
    -soil
    -nutes
    -grow method
    -veg length/ flower length
    -light sched
    -yield dry
    -affects on med related symptoms
    etc

make it a strict policy that anything posted outside the format will be deleted.

Set it up as alphabetical folders within a sub forum

just some thoughts

7. ^ you pretty much have it covered. just add a smoke report and it'll be complete.

8. I agree with LBH and the others...a strain guide would be extremely helpful.

9. Well, from looking around, there are a few 1/2 assed guides out there but nothing comprehensive or with any depth.

I think if this was done right, it could have a lot of potential to draw in quite a few new members. Pretty much anyone who just went thru the search that I did.

Unfortunately, projects like this add a TON of work to Admins plate.

-note to admin- should you take this on, I'd be happy to help.

10. Although I am still new on the site I second LBH and would be more than willing to help in anyway that I could

11. I am on board with this. As a medical marijuana patient I would like to hear more on strains that would benefit me and others. Details like "no racing heart" and similar would be very helpful instead of buying expensive seeds and growing it out only to find out the strain doesn't fit your needs.

12. i really wish this idea would go down. :(

13. Strain

-lighting
    -soil
    -nutes
    -grow method
    -veg length/ flower length
    -light sched
    -yield dry
    -affects on med related symptoms

This is a great idea. To add to above, we would want the breeder the strain came from, and a rating system based on flavor, potency, yield, longevity of effects.

I feel the importance of the breeder is crucial b/c not all strains with the same name are exactly the same. We must make sure it is clarified that by breeder we mean actual source of the seeds, not reseller. If not, we will have all kinds of reports stating Attitude, which may sell 10 variations of the strains from different breeders.

It would have to be moderated so we did not end up with meaningless and pointless posts regarding non-related content. Also, I personally feel it should be based on the actual growers experience, not based on stuff some-one bought at a dispensary or from a dealer b/c who really knows if the strain is a legit strain, and we have no idea what the source was for the actual seeds used to grow it. The main point of a strain guide is to help other growers in their search for strains, and what breeders sell reliable genetics.

I will gladly assist all I can in helping this get set up.

14. Now that there's been more discussion, I'll get with the Grow Mods again and see if they think it's worth taking it on or getting assistance with taking it on. :)

15. Hooray for the mods! Today is indeed a very exciting day!
    In the meantime...back to the search engine to see if I can find my answers...

16. There is plenty of info here on strains, all you need to do is ask.