Strain differentiation through seed phenotypes

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Crushdavid, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Hey all,

I ordered the 20pack of mixed seeds from peakseedsbc, they've got some very good looking strains.

24 seeds arrived promptly 3 weeks after order.

I managed to sift the seeds by the look of the seed. They were distinctly different. Some were a larger brown with black spots and lines and others had a more flat and had a different hue or color. I managed to sort them into 4 different groups as best I could.

The strains they offer appear to be distinct enough to warrant visibly different seed.

Is it reasonable to think that the different seeds will be different plants? :confused:

To clarify, some of them are remarkably different and similar and there are multiples of the similar looking seeds. Near to a T copies. Different colors and shapes, and groups of each.

So plant A could have seed style X, Y, and Z randomly(different color/shape). Instead of plant A having Z seeds, Plant B having Y seeds, and plant C having X seeds; each plant having a different/unique looking seed (A only has Z looking seeds, etc...). Which is right?

Their plants range a wide difference in strains, and since I got a mix, I figured I could at least help my chances of getting multiple types of bud by splitting the seeds into groups according to what they look like and planting one of each

2. makes sense kinda....it will at least give you your best shot at growin' the same strains together....will check back and see how this turned out...good thinkin' outside the box...shows promise:smoke:

3. Just to update this thread:

Put 5 in a wet paper towel in a ziplock in the back of my cabinet for 2 days, and lo and behold I had 5 good long rootlings.

I popped 2 of seed type (A), and 1 each of (B) and (C) and (D).

So far, judging by the phenotypes of the seeds I have:

1x Blueberry
    1x NL #5
    3x Northernberry or Skunkberry or Skunk or Northern Skunk

Conclusion:
    I have utterly different plants from obviously phenotypically different seeds from a peakseeds bc mixed pack.

4. That was an interesting couple of posts. I like it! :smoke:

5. So the phenome thing really kicks into play once they reach two to three weeks vegetative. You will be able to tell the difference then for sure, and a direct definition of the phenome can be placed once it buds out (thats the key). So just keep doing what your doing. I'm subbed.!

6. Here are some pics and some rationale.

Blueberry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Twisted first couple leaf sets (common to blueberry), completely purple stem and underside of leaves.

Northern Lights:
    [​IMG]
    Very short/bushy/fatter leaves. Looks like a total Indica with ZERO purple anywhere.

Unknown:
    [​IMG]
    These three all have varying amounts of purple on their stems, none under leaves, and much skinnier "sativa" leaves. Believed to be Northern berry/ n'ern skunk

[​IMG]
    Top 3 - Unknown
    Bottom Right - Blueberry
    Bottom Left - NL

7. plants are lookin' good bro..nice and healthy..keep workin' that grow:hello: