Straight answer on PPM please. Add tap water ppm + nute ppm together or not?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by matt0707, May 11, 2013.

1. I swear i've read the opposite opinion at least 25 times for each side now. My tap water PPM is 300 - I should 'supposedly' be starting my plants off at around that (less probably), so I have absolutely no idea what to do.

By one halves logic, you need to count your tap waters ppm in your total. therefore tap water alone will work just fine with no nutes as its already higher than i need.(doesn't sound right to me) The other half says to subtract your tap water ppm from your total once you've added your nutes.

And then, everyone else says "don't use tap water, get RO, tap water with high ppm will always cause problems" yet i've also read that people have grown with 600+ppm tap water, not a problem.

This internet is FULL of massively contradicting opinions and advice and it's really making this difficult lol. I'm ordering an RO system so don't even mention it, it'll come as soon as i have the money :D. In the mean time, help me with my tap water lol. Should i be adding ~200ppm of nutes to my tap water for a total of ~500ppm, or do I go by the opposite logic and just dump tap water in, no nutes, and wish for 300ppm of magic unknown nutrients designed for plant growth to come out of my tap water supply :rolleyes: haha

Help please :)