Storm Clouds Over the Sterling

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Shade, Mar 4, 2010.

1. More unloved than even Mugabe's dollar

David Wighton: Business Editor's Commentary

Sterling rout is more than a wobble over political uncertainty

The poll that put Britain firmly into hung-parliament territory is not the only reason behind the pound's sell-off

Larry Elliott

2. None of our resident statist Britlanders going to comment on any of this?

3. Its pretty much par for the course with a labour government i'm afraid, sure its exacerbated by the financial crisis but in all honesty i don't really think it would be a bad thing.
    Apathy among voters has gone on long enough and they really need to be aware that times can get pretty rough. I'm a child of the 70's so i can remember the strikes and shit and politics was a major issue back then.
    At the moment fashion is more important to the british public than politics and i tend to feel that a wakeup call would be a good thing.
    In fact while i'm at it i'd like to see a coalition government because the first thing the lib dems would want is PR STV (proportional representation, single transferable vote) or at least a referendum on it. We could then get back to real politics not the personality crap we inherited from tony blair.

One last thing, the conservatives should boot that twat cameron and bring back william hague and who gives a fuck if he's bald. One of the best (imo) parlimentarians and with dry wit that always gets me smiling. (i support lib dems but like hague from my cons youth)

4. It doesn't surprise me. The level of mismanaged public spending and the very real possibility of a hung parliament were bound to have this effect on our currency. I can't help but feel that the people have become hugely apathetic about the whole situation though; many members of the British public feel as if politicians can no longer be trusted and therefore aren't inspired to vote.

Voter apathy is at a whole new level. Being 18 I'm part of the youngest voting group and am actually voting for the first time in the next election. It scared me to find out that 56% of 17-25 year olds aren't even registered to vote.

We need fundamental change in our parliamentary system if you ask me. Referenda on things such as PR STV as iskander said and also the abolishment of the House of Lords and at a push the monarchy (not that anything that fundamental is likely to change any time soon). Our democratic process is weak. It needs change.

5. I would not agree with a lot of his politics but Hague is the man..

6. The plan is to bring about a global currency. Just wait all major currencies around the world are going to be hit sooner or later and they will use that as a excuse to create a new global currency to stabilize the global economy.

7. Interesting theory, though the Euro is facing failure too--or at least a very uncertain future. This theory, however, may also suggest that the financial crisis was intended or purposefully carried out in order to facilitate the crash of a number of currencies.

8. In this day and age I don't find this too hard to believe. The global power set has stagnated and there are certainly hidden agendas of virtually all governments and corporations to gain complete control. Such things happen at a national scale all the time. Not too hard to believe that it's gone global; as everything else has.

9. #9 Sir Elliot, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2010
    The high possibility of labour being kicked out on their asses come next election is one of the few things keeping investors confident in the pound.

Is it too much to hope that MEP Daniel Hannah becomes PM and turns out to be Reagan and Thatcher's secret love child?!

EDIT: When are the next round of general elections? This summer I think?

FAKE EDIT: Considering the BNP's rather stunning pick ups in the EP elections, and Geert Wilders' looming takeover as PM in the Netherlands, what are the odds of seeing BNP break 10% of the popular vote?

10. If the BNP got just 1 seat in parliment i would be happy, one of the major excuses against electoral reform in the UK (from the 2 major parties) has always been that it would allow extremist groups a mainstream political platform.
    So BNP in parliment would effectively remove tht argument before it could be used and at least make the debate a little clearer.

The election has to be held by june 03 at the latestst although no date has yet been confirmed.

11. I'd be putting my money on a hung parliament though. A conservative majority would require the biggest parliamentary swing in like 100 years or something. Bigger than when Thatcher or Blair came into power.

The election is almost definately gonna be on the 6th May. I have friends in high places :p

12. I did notice something in the press about a 'Ball's up' yesterday but I'd rather wait for official confirmation;).

13. I've never understood why there is opposition to allowing extremist groups to have a mainstream political platform. That's the whole point of a multi-party parlimentary system, it allows smaller groups a voice of some sort without making it neccessary to enter into coalition with them to govern.

14. #14 ng_hammy, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2010
    People often oppose it because we don't have a proportional representation system. Certain local areas may become more extremist in their views and therefore elect someone to represent these views. However that then gives them a seat in the House of Commons that isn't a true representation of the number of people that actually voted for that MP. Basically because we don't have proportional representation it's easier for extremist groups to gain a political foothold; they convince areas rather than true majorities. Extremist politicians play on the fears of voters in small constituencies with reasons to be angry (local immigration, unemployment etc) and then get a seat in the house with very few actual votes.

I would have no problem with the election of extremists in a true democracy. A true democracy allows all segments of society to be properly and proportionally represented through their vote and therefore you respect that. Our system does not do that.

15. In my mind that's a feature, not a bug.