Storing seeds and yield long term?

Discussion in 'General' started by emt1581, Jul 8, 2016.

1. I've been told that, once harvested, marijuana will last up to two years. But the person that told me that didn't share any details of the conditions attached to that time frame.

With the seeds... will they keep indefinitely in the little zip lock bag they came in or do they go bad after a while?

With the bud yielded... what's the best way to store it so it doesn't go bad long term? Normally I'd think oxygen absorbers in vacuum sealed plastic would pretty much stop the aging. Then again with how tempermental these plants are to grow in the first place maybe it would break down the molecular structure and ruin it.

What are the different storage options for keeping it from going bad/molding/etc.?

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. I've smoked lots of pot that was two years old. After it's cured I lower the humidity to the fifties, add an O2 absorber, and vacuum pack the jar with a seal a meal. Some of my crop that I'll probably use in a few months I simply jar with a bovida. I keep the jars in a dark closet. There may be better ways to store it, maybe someone will gives us a clue. Seeds last a long time but each year fewer are viable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The seeds need to be kept in a container of some sort in a cool dark place. They'll keep there for years. Left exposed to a lot of heat and light, they'll go bad quicker. As far as what to do with your weed after it's cured, just leave it in Mason jars with some sort of airtight lid. There needs to be some air around your stash, but you don't want to get too much air in there. But putting the right amount in the right size container will allow you to keep it on and on and on and it maintain it's same consistency and moisture content. Putting a small amount of weed in a huge jar is going to make it dry out too fast, so that's what I'm talking about when I say getting the right amount in the jar. That's how we keep ours. TWW

4. Not sure how to control humidity long term in a vacuum pack. Also no clue what a bovida is.

Thanks for the info though!

-Emt1581

5. As for a container for the seeds, will a 2" ziplock bag not do? Right now mine are in the bag in an ammo can.

Seems like packing as much as possible into a jar would be the best way to go to minimize air if not vacuum sealing.

Thanks

-Emt1581

6. Mason jar filled with raw rice(uncooked) in a zippy

7. Google. They are made for controlling your humidity long term. You don't need to know how, just get the 62% packets and drop one in. Don't worry about vacuum packing

• Like Like x 1
  8. Google? No....Ebay. 8 gram packets are around $1-$2.

So just toss one in, screw on the lid and it'll make the contents last for 2yrs+ or is 2yrs the max for pot?

Thanks

-Emt1581

9. It's not a preservative. It will keep your buds at the correct humidity for 2 years inside the jar but honestly if you don't open the jar I don't know why it would dry out anyway. I like them because they get the humidity right without me having to fuck around with a hygrometer but I still check it anyway, I can't seem to help it. My stash lasts for two years but I can't say yours will. I'm sure they lose some potency over time but it's hard to tell how much. I don't notice a loss of potency but there's a lot of shit I don't notice. I'm smoking 18 month old wax now and it's fine. I'll probably have a new crop starting this fall.

10. i put a seed in a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer for like a year. Tossed it under a cherry tree before i moved came back to cut the grass, and wouldnt u know, a nice 2 foot tall sativa.