Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Storing My Stash - Help

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by indian_stoner, Jun 24, 2014.

1. #1 indian_stoner, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
    I am a long time Grasscity Forums reader but a first time poster. I live in Wisconsin but go to college in South Dakota (just finished my second year). In South Dakota I lived in a house on campus with 4 of my buddies and didn't have to worry about my smoking at all (smoking in the house wherever, whenever). I normally just kept my stash in a ziplock bag in a safe in my room.

However, I have decided to transfer to Marquette (a university in my home-city in Milwaukee) because South Dakota was so far away; so currently (for the summer) and most likely for the fall term of 2014 (until January-February of 2015)  I will be living at home with my mother (who is VERY anti-pot). She caught me when I was still in high school so she knows that I smoke and knows the smell of weed. I am respecting her house rules of not having any ganja in the house and not smoking in the house, of course, but this brings about my dilemma:

Before I left South Dakota I bought 2-3 ounces of top shelf bud (grand-daddy purp from California) because my dealer/roommate gave me phenomenal prices (and the prices in my home-town are really shitty). Out of respect for my mother (but mainly out of fear that she will find my stash, kill me, and discontinue paying for my education - which I am very grateful for) I have decided not to store my stash in the house like I normally would in my South Dakota house. Instead, I have my stash in a ziplock bag inside a mason jar and am storing it outside the house, hidden in a secret spot about a 10 minute walk from my moms house in the protection of the shade. (whenever I get a day off work I can go and walk/long board to my stash-spot and roll a joint and enjoy).

Normally this amount of weed (2-3 ounces) wouldn't last me very long since I was a chronic smoker in South Dakota (multiple times a day, everyday). I am trying to cut back on my consumption (to about 2-3 times a month) to save money and also to be able to enjoy the high more. So far everything is going well. I am actually enjoying smoking more now because it is a "luxury". I get much higher off of much less weed and am saving a great deal of money.

Every time it rains though, I worry that my stash will get wet but when I check it later, the mason jar seems to be doing its job and my weed seems to be fine. So far, my stash has been stored in the plastic bag inside the mason jar for about 2 and a half months now and all the buds still smell and look good (no mold, not stale, no bugs/pests, still hairy/crystally).

If I continue to store my stash this way how long will it last? Also will the THC levels of my bud be affected by the extreme heat of summer (despite being kept in constant shade outside) or by the extreme cold of fall/winter? 

2. Ill be the first to start searching your street for the free weed

• Like Like x 4
  3. hahahahahahaha  :lol: it would take you forever to find it. I hid it very well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3
  4. #5 thewarden, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
    given that it's that much bud, I'd invest in a mason jar. then I'd take the mason jar and put it in one of those special backpacks (the kind where the top like rolls, they're waterproof) with a bunch of dessicant. then I'd put that shit in a turkey bag.

mason jars are a must though. 

didn't realize you already had some haha. and it's hard to say how much the temperature will affect it. I honestly have no experience in the area. 

5. seriously my friend outside is not good. Theres a million things that could go wrong with that much bud plus that sound very inconvenient... Hide it inside furniture

6. Should be okay since you seem to have it well protected and in the shade. I wouldn't worry about anyone finding unless they have some stupid luck. I would just inspect it every time for mold, that would probably be your biggest enemy. Good luck bro

7. everything about smoking when I'm home for summer is inconvenient. my parents just got a divorce so we moved from a huge house, which was super easy to hide bud in because there were so many places that nobody would look, to a smaller condo, which is hard to hide because the area of space is so small there's no good hiding places.

8. I'm not really concerned at all about anybody finding it on accident. They would have to be looking for it specifically to find it (even then it would be hard for them to find it). nobody would be looking for it because I am the only person in the whole world who knows its even there. unless a dog smells it and leads a person (their owner) right to it because now I live in a condo association with a bunch of other condos in it, and a lot of people have dogs. I fear a dog might smell out the bud and lead a person right to it. I cant smell anything through the bags and the mason jar but I dont know how much more sensitive a dogs sense of smell is... 

but yea mold and bugs are my two biggest fears. so far the mason jar seems to be doing an excellent job of keeping out bugs and water, and even if it did leak I have it in two ziplock bags inside the jar. I check it frequently enough to switch to a new mason jar if this one had any problems. 

9. there will be no bugs or mold that can open an ajrtight jar. Id be worried more about weather conditions and bigger animals like dogs/skunks

10. You already did what you should have done. Bag n mason jar. I would say you might lose a lil thc content if you let the jar sit directly in the sun but if its in a shady spot then you should be good. Watch out for jackers. Rig a shotgun to blow at your jar if it gets moved.

• Like Like x 1
  11. just checked the stash today for the first time in just over a week. Dont have a scale with me but I have gotten good at eyeballing. It all seems to be there (I doubt anybody would take just some of it, instead of all of it - but you never know). The buds still look dense, colorful, hairy, crystally, and still smell like heaven. I didnt write this the first time but when I bought the weed the nugs were a little over-dense, probably from not being cured long enough in the growing process. I guess this works out better for me because letting them sit this long might enhance them (hopefully, im not really sure). 

So far everything looks good still. I will update the next time I check it after toking.

12. #13 MovieGuru, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
    I've been meaning to ask, do they have to be mason jars? Or can I store some in a clean jam jar? I haven't been game enough to ask in a new thread as it seems like a stupid question, so here goes nothing lol

A clean jar is fine.  Quart canning jars are $10 for 12. I buy the half Gallon size.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I'd suggest maybe digging a hole and putting the mason jar in the hole with a piece of plywood or something on top, then cover it all up with dirt

15. it's snows in milwalkee and during the winter months with subfreezing temps, it could freeze the triches right off the bud. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing as I do not have to do it.

16. Jars are the best but the taste still degrades over a period of time. If you could break the ounces down to quarters and vacuum seal, then put in jars, it would keep it tasting super fresh.

• Like Like x 1
  17. That's a decent option. The place I hid it in is a remote area almost marsh-like, with very high grasses, about 30 yards inland from the nearest pavement/cut grass. Every time I want to gain access I have to spray bug spray on like cheap cologne just to avoid getting eaten alive, but I think the mosquitoes are my best line of defense.

thats what I was worried about. I know it gets pretty cold out here starting around October. I have read other threads about people storing their weed in their freezers to keep it lasting longer so I'm not sure if the frigid winter would necessarily be a bad thing... I am more worried about the extreme heat of July/August than I am of the extreme cold of October-February. 

yea I would do that, the only problem is I don't have a vacuum sealer available at my disposal. What I did do however was stick a straw through the top of the ziplock bag after closing the bag almost all the way (except for the small part the straw was sticking out of) and suck all the air out from the bag. That's the closest I can get to vacuum sealing.

18. got the day off from work today. the sun is shining and the air is warm. thought it would be the perfect day to check the stash, blaze up, and go swimming. It has been storming heavily here in MIlwaukee. Very very heavy rains and thunderstorms the past week (record breaking almost). My weed felt fluffy, almost a little moist. Is it possible that the moisture from the outside can affect the buds inside the mason jar? or am I just being paranoid?

19. Best believe if I ever accidentally found that stash it'd be gone lol. So I'd find a different stash spot, that's just me though..