Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

storing bud...vacuum bag sealer?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by chiefton8, May 23, 2007.

1. so i've just harvested my first crop, and its enough weed to last me for probably 2 years (i have no intention of selling, or giving any away). does using one of those baggie vacuum sealers work well for storing bud long term (like the kinds people use to store meat or vegetables)? then store it in the freezer or fridge? has anyone tried this?

i'm just trying to find the best way to store bud for the long term (up to 2 years) without losing potency. any help is greatly appreciated! :smoke:

2. yea that works great

3. Just make sure, you only vacuum seal enough to close the bag tightly, I wouldn't compress the buds.

4. i would personally go for mason jars, they will cure the buds out and you can keep them moist without having to reseal a bag and each jar can store more, so when you dip in for the last bud 2 years from now it will be amazingly cured and be an amazing smoke

5. Exactly. See, when you vacuum seal something, you're obviously putting a lot of (usually, in the case of herbs) unneccesary pressure on the substance proper. Mason jars are the best - it will make even typical, commercial herb taste better because it's curing while being stored. :D

I would also take advantage of the fact that you're not explicitly "destroying" what kief you can collect because you're only 'dipping in' when needed. You're not unrolling a bag and agitating the herb. So this way, you'll actually get more bang for your buck out of your grinder. ;)

6. 2 years worth of bud is sure gonna take a lot of jars :p

7. i would use the vacume seal jars instead of the bags, they work great for me, been 4months and still getting better. like wunschshrek said, you dont want to compress the bud any it destroys the quality of it.

8. I have a friend that buys in quantity in vacuum sealed bags it doesnt compress the bud at all its a great way to store cannabis

9. i dont know what kinda of vacume sealer he uses, but mine will vacume till its rock hard.

10. so I guess a cheap vacuum sealer would work better than a nice one :D

11. Or just get a few mason jars instead of having to buy a whole vaccum sealing system.

12. If the guy has 2 years worth of bud, that's gonna be a shit load of mason jars. For size purposes, I'd go with the vacuum sealed bags, and maybe keep your monthly supply in a mason jar. So then you get the best of both, while keeping your large amount vacuum sealed till you need it, but you've got what you need for a while in a nice jar.

13. Yeah, Id say putting 2 years of bud into mason jars is completely absurd. Of course, we dont know how much you normally smoke in a week, either, so who knows. I know people who make an 8th last a month...

Id say vacuum seal it in QPs and then when your ready to crack them open put it into a couple jars.

I dont see how having a powerful vacuum sealer can harm the buds at all, unless they are really fluffy and loaded with crystals. In fact, isnt removing all the air the point? If the buds arnt hard, there is still air in them as far as I am concearned.

14. Where (online) can I get hold of those little bags with the re-sealable bit?

15. sounds like people certainly have a few opinions. two years of bud for me probably isn't as much as it would be for other people...for me its about 3.5 ounces at the rate i smoke. i'm curing them now and it's 12 mason jars at only half full so i could condense it into 6 jars when they are done curing, which isn't too many jars.

so do any of the people who advocate the vacuum sealing have any suggestions for sealers that might work without crushing the bud too much?

thanks for all the help.

16. Haha if I smoked 3.5 ounces in two years, I'd have a lot more money. I thought you were talkin like pounds lol. But yeah if its like a QP or less, just go ahead and use the jars.

17. vacum sealed jars FTW. You'll be very set if you go that way. I have seen the system advertised on TV

18. yeah for real haha...
    QUESTION

does vaccum sealed bags make it so drug dogs cant smell it if transporting?

19. dude, drug dogs can pick up the smell of TYLENOL in a students locker.

just bcuz you take out the air from a baggie...you are still, obviously, left with weed in the bag, so yes...they can still smell vacuum sealed stashes from a mile awayyy. (fucking dogs...)

20. Well, vacuum sealing removes the air from the bag and smell needs air to travel, in theory, you shouldnt be able to smell it. However, if not just for peace of mind, Id recommend double sealing it if your worried about the 5 0 picking up on your stash in route.

While there is no way to completely remove the chances of getting busted, there are things you can do, and vacuum sealing is probably the most effective.

Dogs are simple animals. Ive had dog treats around when the pigs came to a place I was at and after the cops searched the house and took out what they could find, and the dog found nothing that was left. He did find the treats. however.