Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

store in a humidor?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mikemobuds, Mar 30, 2011.

1. I'm moving out, and my dad is gonna be giving me a humidor and a few cigars with a humidity gel thing and a thermometer wich record humidity and tempt (which is what i want of the bunch) and im just wondering since his boxes stay around 70% humidity to keep the cigar in good smoking condition I was wondering if it would be a good idea to store my weed in there (since it'll have a lock on the box) or will that generate mold??:smoke:

I've been smoking for years, just never heard or thought of this

2. Yeah moisture=mold

3. It's a good idea to store weed in there.

4. stick to storing it in mason jars

5. Alrighty, thanks for the input guys I just thought I'd ask, kuz since the cigars didnt get mold I wasn't sure if the bud would, now bud on a growing plant is a different story I know that, but wasn't sure for the weed that's been cured/dried already. I probably won't store it in there, or just leave the humidity puck out of the box /shrug

6. That's unnecessary unless your bud is extremely dry, If you do end up tossing your bud in there defiantly don't leave it in there for too long theirs a high chance of mold because the high amounts of moisture in the humidor.

If you've got dry bud I'd recommend tossing a orange peel or basically any fruit peel in the bag with your stash or even better yet in a jar with your stash.

PS: Get a mason jar, they work best.

7. you could keep all your phillies nice and fresh though :wave:

8. Just put it in a tupperware container and you'll be fine. That's where I store mine and I've had no problems...as long as you use the tupperware.

9. Goooood point! lmao that totally escaped my mind :hello: thanks for pointing that out to me! :D

10. I'm an old cigar smoker,I keep my weed in a spare humidor and it works fine.

A humidor is a much less humid and far superior for storing weed than a tupperware box or a mason jar with fruit peel in it. Humidors breathe. Plastic and glass don't. If you want moldy weed follow the advice in the above posts. It's a sure way to get it.

You'll want to line the bottom and up the sides a bit with something along the lines of butcher/parchment paper to keep the kief and shake out of the joints between the bottom and the sides.

Keep the humidity a little low for weed, I like about 60%,but anything between 30% and 60% is good. Keep the temps below 70 degrees. Heat is really what gets you with mold issues storing weed and cigars. If the interior of that humi goes over 75 degrees for a long period of time w/ the humidity in the 70% range you're going to have mold problems with both cigars and weed. Put it in the coolest place in your house,but not in the fridge.

If you're worried about mold and mites,freeze your weed for a couple of days,before putting it in the humi.

If you happen to spot mold,cut away the section of bud it's on and discard the moldy part. Freeze the weed overnight,then put it in a paper bag/cigar box/shoe box and let it dry for a couple of days. When you remove the weed from the humi,wipe the inside of the humi down with a mild bleach solution,4-5 drops to a gallon of water and let it air out until the bleach smell has faded.

I've never had trouble with mold and weed in a humidor and I've been using one to store my weed for 20 plus years,the bleach treatment above is only in case you have trouble for some reason. Humidors are great for weed,they keep the smoke supple,slow burning,and eliminate harshness.

Plus,you get continuous curing with a humidor. It's the superior way to store your weed.

Remember 30-60% rH and under 70 degrees. Enjoy the humi. Sounds like your dad is a great guy.

11. or you could just open the mason jar like once a day? :confused:

12. Why? A humi is set and forget,especially with that gel system he's using,and is built specifically for keeping smoking materials in prime shape. Plus he's getting it for FREE. Never look a gift horse in the mouth

You can store weed in them,charge the humidifier to the level you want and leave it alone for months. With cigars you want the rH around 65%,with the gel that means you need to check it once every 6-8 weeks depending on the dryness of your house. As you keep weed at a drier rH,you're looking at 8-12 weeks. Beats the hell out of unscrewing mason jars once a day.

You get your weed supply for the next few days out,close it up,and forget about it. I'm telling you it's the only way to stash.

Check a few cigar store web sites,you can pick up a decent humi and humidifying system for what you'd pay for a 1/4 zip of mids. The things last forever. I've got one I inherited from a great-Uncle. The thing is 70 years old,and except for an upgrade to a new humidifying system in the 80's,it works perfectly.

13. I've used 63% RH in a mason jar for curing and long-term. I got these little packets from amazon www.humiflow.com is their site, but they have a better explanation on Amazon on how to use it and for the past year I've been happy with them. I did try a packet that was 73%rh and that was too much water vapor and white fuzz grew.
    I feel it's like a Cuban cigar that likes 55-65RH anything over that they get a white fuzz.