Storage tote micro grow!!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Fabiszak, Jan 28, 2012.

1. #1 Fabiszak, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
    Hey guys! I just finished working on my new project, and I don't think I did too bad, tell me what you think!

Specs:

1.5x1.5x3 ft storage container
    8 5000k 23 watt CFL's
    4 2700k 23 watt CFL's
    2 CPU fans. 1 intake. 1 exhaust.
    Some bagseeds I've saved up
    An old storage tote I had laying around

That's about it lol it's pretty simple
    I don't have all the lights in right now because I feel that 8 5000k's is sufficient for the seedlings.
    I have them on 24/0 for now until the rest of them pop up then I plan on going to 18/6 for veg.
    But I have almost absolutely no idea what I'm doing so any feedback, comments or suggestions would be awesome :D
    Not trying to grow the dankest dank ever, just some decent weed.
    I'll be attaching pics to give you a basic idea

2. #2 Fabiszak, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Here ya go. Guess the iPhone app is iffy with posting pics
    Gonna put them in their final pots in a week or so.

Also, idk why the thermometer is saying 97, guess its the lights but it stays at a nice 80.9 constantly in the box while shut and latched

3. Looks like ur gonna have fun. And the point of it being a first grow is for you to learn. You will pick up tips and tricks and growing will actually b fun

4. What r u gonna do about room for the plants when they get big?

5. I plan on moving most of the plants to a 7x2x3 foot plastic locker when they get around 8-10 inches tall so they can grow to their full potential, the rest I'll be practicing LST on to give me a little extra room in the box. :)

6. UPDATE: One of the seedlings has started to turn yellow. What's happening to it? What do I do?! I can provide pics ASAP if needed

7. Yellowing is usually either nute burn or root bound.

8. [quote name='"Bwarren93"']Yellowing is usually either nute burn or root bound.[/quote]

Well I'm not giving any nutes at the time so it probably is root bound. I'm about to make a trip to home depot to try and fix the problem. I'll keep it posted
    Thanks!

9. [​IMG]

The one on the left is the one I'm worried about.

10. Are you by any chance growing in miracle grow soil? That soil has time released ferts in it that will yellow your plant from nute burn and it will get worse each time you water it

11. No I'm growing in organic compost and cow manure. Idk if that's bad lol. But I'm in home depot as I write this so what kind of soil should I switch to if any??

12. How often have you been watering???? The one on the left has water sitting on top of the soil, you should only water it when the top half inch of soil is dry. My plant was about every 3 days id water

13. [quote name='"Bwarren93"']How often have you been watering???? The one on the left has water sitting on top of the soil, you should only water it when the top half inch of soil is dry. My plant was about every 3 days id water[/quote]

I just watered before I took the pics and that's when I notices the plant was yellowing, I picked up some organic soil with lime, perlite, and sphagnum peat moss, because I'm not so sure about this soil I'm currently using

14. #14 Fabiszak, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
    Hey guys, just replanted them extremely carefully into the soil mentioned above.
    Also I added some more light cause they're barely a week old and almost an inch tall, are they stretching?
    Here are some pics.
    Let me know if I'm doing alright
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. your temp is way to high, you need at least two more intake fans

16. push air out, drawing clean air in. gives you better circulation

17. If you're referring to the picture where the thermometer reads 97.9 that's a glare from the lights. I have a hi/lo feature on the thermometer and it hasn't gotten above 85.5 in there even with it closed at night and on a 24/0 schedule.
    And even if it was a bit hot in there, wouldn't adding more exhaust fans be more efficient than adding more intakes?
    Correct me if I'm wrong

18. I always herd it was better to leave intake alone, if you ad another big exhaust fan and an intake hole it should improve airflow.

19. Yeah. Exhaust. For micro grows leave intake alone. You're doing great. I wouldn't worry they're so small. They should need watering like once a week that small. But they'll quickly need more. They like drying out a little.

20. [quote name='"Lovemybudz"']Yeah. Exhaust. For micro grows leave intake alone. You're doing great. I wouldn't worry they're so small. They should need watering like once a week that small. But they'll quickly need more. They like drying out a little.[/quote]

Thanks! I was watering every 2 days but will probably move to once a week now that they're in the cups.
    I'm going to try to post daily on here to keep everyone posted on how everything's going. I'm stoked to see how these things are gonna turn out!